• April 28, 2024, 11:26:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Email From Zero: Updated Firmware and Charging Recommendations  (Read 18055 times)

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
Re: Email From Zero: Updated Firmware and Charging Recommendations
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »

I've made a suggestion to folks at the factory that I would like to see some guidance for dealerships to show a printout or something describing the old value and the new value as proof that the work was performed, if the component is still drifting or if it is settled. Moto dealerships tend to view software as dark magic sorcery and might not perform it correctly or at all, yet tell the customer the work was performed and bill the factory for the warranty hours. You can verify at least the version of your MBB firmware by using the app to pull MBB logs and then view the version on the log parser. I did this all from my phone at the dealership before and after the firmware upgrade process to verify that the work was done. Unfortunately there's no way (yet?) to verify the commissioning offset value.
Man, I wish I could upvote this or something.

I've had LOTS of times (and so have my friends) even with ICE bikes when the dealership didn't do something they said they did (and charged for) or did something wrong.

I'm talking about things as simple as putting a tire on the wrong way. How can you match up two directional arrows and get that wrong?

Or snapping tabs off an $800 fairing piece and going "it wuz that way when it came in!"

Or dripping brake fluid on things.

Or putting in brake pads, then not getting the rotor between the pads.

Or just simply not tightening the axle, and you come home and it's only finger-tight.

Or putting on a tire and not balancing it.

Or not wanting to install the manufacturer recall kit.

Or not wanting to install your power tank and going "oh you just bolt the battery on and hook up a couple cables"

I don't trust them as far as I could throw an Abrams tank, which is why I do my own work, and work on friend's bikes.

There's a reason I posted about being in complete shock that a dealer did my firmware upgrade with no hassles.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »

I just got the same letter last week (2016 FX). This policy of Zero is really admirable.

I'll wait until the next regular service to have it done because there is no indication of any problem or improvement right now.
It is recommended every bike in operation get firmware updated as of that announcement. There were some tweaks for the various model years.
Just had my firmware updated, after 18k miles on my '14 SR...  Now the ap can't set the "Regen" properly in the "Custom" setup-- It goes through the steps, and the non-brake regen setting shows "0%" for an instant, then reverts to the original "60%".  Among a number of other anomalies...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:02:13 PM by RickSteeb »
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »

Common problem after fw update. Here is the fix -
http://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6843.0

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »

Common problem after fw update. Here is the fix -
http://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6843.0

--So it's the new ap version, rather than the firmware update that's messing up the settings?  I'll try the old version if I can find my old phone...  Thanks!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

I think it is a combination of new app version with new bike fw, that causes the problem

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2017, 05:04:47 AM »

I'll wait until the next regular service to have it done because there is no indication of any problem or improvement right now.
Actually, there's a couple improvements on my '15 SR.  I've ridden it on some long trips every day since (vacation) and the range & percent-charged indications seem to be far more accurate. Before, it was optimistic, overestimating the range by about 20% (maybe 30%) then really dropping quickly to zero once it was below about 28%  I even had it say I had 144 miles of range once after charging.

Also, the percent-charged would "stick" at 100% for a while. Now I go a mile or so and it actually does drop to 99%-98%

Today, it said 77 miles range, and I had 60 miles to go to get home. I decided to trust it, and when I got home, it said I had 14 miles left. That's much better. Before it would have dropped to zero about 5 miles from home and I would have had to limp in. Done that, and it sucks.

The day before I'd actually chickened out and come home early, only to find I did have enough range left, which is why I decided to wing it and trust it.

I kind of depend on the range because it's my main transportation and I end up running a lot of little errands on it. So it's nice to see it a little more sane.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

zerovolt

• Zero s 11.4 2014, volt 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »

A few days ago , i updated my firmware version 36 by new version 52 on my s 11.4 2014. Before the only problem was when arrived at 17% soc , the soc passed to  0% suddenly.
Now, when the soc is around 35% and I put the swiicht off , and after few minutes I put the swiicht on, the soc pass at 15 %  without riding the bike.   Deception for me.

My dealer is 250 Kms from my home , and it is not pleasant to return there.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »

I am still running version 36 and I only get a drop of one or two percent between turning the bike off and turning it back on. I also get a very accurate countdown to 0%, where the bike will suddenly stop. So I am happy with the older firmware version.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »

I currently have version 40 on my motorcycle, after reading all the problems/issues with updates not sure if it is worth the update... it is working fine right now.
Zero: 2016 DSR
HD: Rocker C 08 / Sportster 1200L 09

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2017, 11:51:03 PM »

Those who updated to version 52, what are your impression so far?
I noticed that there is no significant power loss under 50% like before. Also, no more dropping from 19% to 0%.
However, turning the bike off and back on, shows lower SOC.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »

"Zero is now recommending that owners do not keep their motorcycles plugged into an AC power source once charged."

Doesn't the bike stop charging automatically after 100%?  If so, why unplug, unless for long time storage where they want to keep the battery at 60% SOC?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2017, 07:20:20 PM »

"Zero is now recommending that owners do not keep their motorcycles plugged into an AC power source once charged."

Doesn't the bike stop charging automatically after 100%?  If so, why unplug, unless for long time storage where they want to keep the battery at 60% SOC?

-Don-  Auburn, CA

I kept the bike plugged in in storage last winter (before the letter came out).  By February, my cells were badly out of balance (like 60mv out of balance).  I then unplugged it for the rest of the winter.  I ran a plot of balance voltage from the logs and it started increasing pretty much weekly in December.  After my first few rides in the spring I got it back to 3mv.  Looks like they had a bug... (at least one).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2017, 10:29:07 AM »

I kept the bike plugged in in storage last winter (before the letter came out).  By February, my cells were badly out of balance (like 60mv out of balance).  I then unplugged it for the rest of the winter.  I ran a plot of balance voltage from the logs and it started increasing pretty much weekly in December.  After my first few rides in the spring I got it back to 3mv.  Looks like they had a bug... (at least one).

Steve
Interesting. I would have thought keeping them fully charged would be better for keeping them balanced.

BTW, I have many Android tablets (none have cell phone & my PAYG cell is a rather stupid phone). None of my tablets work with the Zero program. Some are very new, some quite old.  Are there any that is compatible with the Zero program that don't have the phone, or will I have to buy a SmartPhone or what?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2017, 04:19:10 AM »

I've confirmed the Wemo Insight can be set to shut off when it detects low current standby, which can be set to as high as 99 watts.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Steve

All I ever did in the winter months was plug in once a month until I saw the balancing lights (I assume that's the alternation between the middle green light and the two outer green lights) come on.  Then I unplugged the unit for a month or two.  Seemed to work just fine.  But now perhaps I should initially get the battery to about 60% and then just leave it for the off-season?

I also developed the habit in the summer months of waiting until the battery got down to about 30% before charging.  So maybe I should be topping up after each short commute?  Then would I run the risk of having the balancing lights on much of time?

Or maybe I just worry too much, and I should leave well-enough alone.  After all, I probably only do a couple thousand km's per year. 

As for upgrades, that's out of the question, since the nearest dealership is 1,000 km's away.     
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9