• April 29, 2024, 04:59:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Introduction & Windscreen Advice for FXS  (Read 5162 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Introduction & Windscreen Advice for FXS
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »

Hi Everyone………I’d first like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as new member to the forum.  I took delivery of a new 2017 Zero FXS a couple of weeks ago and am looking forward to benefiting from all the valuable information here as well as being a contributor.

I’ve recently read through all 10-pages of the “Which Windscreen is OK” thread and learned a lot, but I didn’t see where anyone talked about putting a windscreen on an FXS, so I was wondering if anyone has some hands on experience with doing that. I've been looking at the offerings from all of the usual suspects (MRA, National Cycle, Slipstreamer, and Puig). I’m not interested in any of the Zero aftermarket windscreens.  They are all too small and too expensive.  The Slipstreamer Turbo that a few folks are using is way too big for my taste.  I would like something that provides decent wind and rain protection since I commute to work all year round and the weather in Cincinnati can get pretty nasty.

So far I think the Highwayshield, V-Flow Type C, V-Flow Type Z, and Vario from MRA, the Deflector from National Cycle, the Spitfire from Slipsteamer, the Rafale Universal and Touring Universal from Puig, and finally the Cal Sci prototype screen in post #103 of the thread seem to be good candidates.

So I’m looking for some feedback on which windscreens might work on the FXS model.  Is it safe to assume that if the windscreen fits on other Zero models that it will also work on the FXS?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:01:35 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Introduction & Windscreen Advice for FXS
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »

I should find out whether the handlebar reach on the FX/S is shorter than the S/DS.

FWIW people go for larger screens because the Zero's cockpit is shorter and lower than most bike's, which means the windscreen has to do more work to clear the rider's helmet.

In case you hadn't noticed, the unofficial manual wiki has entries for the reviewed windscreens so far:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Windscreens

One alternative is to get longer MRA mounting stalks than Zero supplies, so you can support a small windscreen a little higher. The handlebars are 1 1/8" thick near the risers, and taper out to 7/8" near the grips.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/brand/mra-motorcycle-windshields_windshield-mounts
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 03:56:51 AM »

Handlebar risers are also recommended to look into getting, as that offers some more flexibility with windscreen mounts. I'll soon be reviewing Rox Speed FX 2" risers for 1-1/8" bars installed on a Zero DSR. Although they were recommended to me I'll be happy to lend them out to any Zero FX(S) rider in the Reno-Tahoe / SF Bay area who wants to do a review of them on the Zero FX platform.

colevalleydave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:07:03 AM »

BamBam, which screen did you ultimately opt for?  Review?

I'm in the same situation as you: 2016 FXS which I love and use for commuting across the SF Bay Bridge.  It's a short/manageable commute but I'm wondering if a screen would help even just a little bit with the high-speed wind buffeting.  Thanks...

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 09:58:45 PM »

I have ordered a MRA V-Flow X-Creen Sport Typ "Z".
After positionning it on my bike, I found that the shape of the Typ Z screen does not suit well to the FXS. So I will return it.
Probably the Typ "C" is more convenient.
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 02:40:34 AM »

I have the Puig Rafale (dark smoke) on my FX right now. As a coworker said, "Badass."

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 05:43:13 AM »

I have put some pictures of the MRA V-Flow X-Creen Sport Typ "Z" placed on my FXS here
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm42kdUG
I just hold it with my hands. But it is approximately at the place I would mount it.
I think that using the C shape (instead of the Z shape) and the optional X-CREEN-SPORT deflector would give a good result.
https://www.mrashop.de/com/universal-screens/nakedbike-screens/

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »

Hey everyone, finally getting back to this thread.  I ended up buying the MRA V-Flow "Z" with the Sport X-Creen from Twisted Throttle, but never installed it.  After reading GT13013's post I can see how the V-Flow "C" screen might be a better fit so I ordered that one also from TT.  I have an RMA from TT to be able to return the one I don't want, but it has to be in the original packaging so I'll just have to hold them up to my bike in the packaging and see which one I think will work best.  I think the MRA screen is the best option out there for the FX/S model.

PS - I also purchased the MRA HKSL universal mounting kit from TT.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:10:03 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 12:56:41 AM »

Hello
In fact, when I ordered the MRA V-Flow X-Creen Sport Typ "Z", it was said that it should come with the mounting kit. But it was false and I did not receive any mounting kit. Since I have seen that the "Z" shape was not convenient, I returned it, but I have never been able to test which of the mounting kits is the more convenient.
From my previous estimations, I guess that the MRA HKSL universal mounting kit has too long rods.
I will probably order a "C" type, but before I am looking at a way of mounting it like in the following picture, which I saved from the internet some time ago (it is not my bike).
By the way, I am interested by any information about mounting kits for the MRA V-Flow X-Creen on a FXS (or FX).
There exist a lot of kits, but MRA is not able to tell me the best one (I asked them).
https://www.mrashop.de/com/mounting-kits/

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 01:18:50 AM »

Great photo.  I really like that style of mounting system (i.e. where the arms attach to the handlebar riser caps), but I got the impression from the research I've done that that particular system is more bike specific.  I specifically ordered the universal HKSL mounting kit because of the longer arms.  I read somewhere that you need the longer arms for the Zero because the windshield wants to be further away from the handlebars and I didn't want to end up with them being too short.  You can always cut the arms down if you have to so better to be too long.

Do you know what windshield is on the bike in the photo?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:23:39 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »

Another option would be to buy the HKSL mounting kit and once you have the windshield mocked up to where you want it, bend the arms to use with the handlebar riser mounting brackets.  That is assuming the riser brackets can be purchased separately.  That's probably what I will end up doing since my handlebars are already getting kind of crowded with my Tusk hand guards mounted to them.
Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 05:41:45 AM »

No, I do not know exactly which windshield is mounted on the photo. But I have taken some notes when I have stored this picture, and it was a MRA screen. After some research on the MRA website, it could be this "Stealth Shield":
https://www.mrashop.de/com/universal-screens/nakedbike-screens/6426/stealth-shield-stealth-shield-sh-all-years

My handlebar is also a little bit crowded, due to the hand guards (I have those provided by Zero). I attach a picture.
You can also see on this picture that the "Z" shape is not suitable, and the "C" shape is probably far better.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »

Right, I'm really glad you pointed out the issue with the Z version not fitting very well.  The C version, with the inverted cutout instead of the pointed beak at the bottom, should allow the windscreen to be mounted closer to the handlebars and fit over the instrument cluster.  I should be receiving the C version windscreen from TT in a few days.

PS - the windscreen on the yellow S in the photo is most definitely the MRA Stealth, good eye.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:14:22 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »

OK. Please tell us about the way you will mount your windshield, and send us photos when it will be done.
I will order mine taking into account what you will experiment.
At the present time, I have to
- select the most appropriate way to mount it between all the mounting kits,
- choose between the normal V-Flow Screen "C" and add an amovible X-creen-sport-part "XCSA", or the complete model V-Flow X-Creen Sport "C" which has already holes to fix the X-creen. I love the shape of the V-Flow without the X-Creen, and if it gives a sufficient protection, perhaps I will not use the X-Creen... If you can tell us about the wind protection that you will note, it will help...
Pages: [1] 2 3