• April 27, 2024, 02:53:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The under 100 mile club!  (Read 3490 times)

grandpa

• View Profile
Re: The under 100 mile club!
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »

My more stressing trip...
Zero S 11k 2016

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51:43 PM »

My more stressing trip...

I know that feeling well.  When I did my 90 mile day my battery read-out was showing "00%" for the last three miles...  I made it into the garage without feeling any slow down in performance but I was already taking it easy with the throttle.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »

Only 72 miles to get this state...

Speed during the trip was 70 for the first 36 miles, then 55 to hope go back to home ^^
Empty topcase, little wind but not too much, touring screen.

May i have a batery issue ?
Zero S 11k 2016

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »

107km on a ZF13 battery is a bit on the low side, given that you really rode at the speeds you mention (112km/h and 90km/h) and you had no constant headwind. I found out the hard way that 6bft headwind costs you almost double the energy of no wind at all...

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2017, 03:27:27 AM »

Longest trip so far on my 2015 FX 6.5, ~52 miles, with 10% remaining. It would have been more but the last mile or so I hit the interstate in Sport mode. Most of the trip was frontage roads, from Northglenn to Fort Collins at about 45 mph.
Clay
DoD #2160,6

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »

Well yesterday after just under a month of ownership I exceeded 100 miles in a day/on a charge (109.5 miles to be exact).

I had to be somewhere about 35 miles away so I was a bit aprensive starting out knowing my expected range was only 70 miles @ 70mph.
I kept off the freeway for the first 10 miles as I knew that section runs fast & I would expend much energy keeping from getting run over.
Soon after getting on the freeway I hit traffic (as I knew I would).
This kept my speed down as I filtered my way through.
When I broke through traffic, I kept it at or slightly below the limit (65).

At times it appeared that I was getting just under 1.5 miles/% of battery level usage.

COOL I thought.... I'm going to turn this into a "let's see how many miles I can get out of a charge" ride.

For my return, I decided to take side roads rather the gobble up power on the freeway.
I even found a dirt road (all of 1/2 mile but still...).

When I hit Molhuland Hiway I still had 35+% left on the battery level with 80 or so miles on the clock.
I decided to have a bit of fun in the mountains (Santa Monica's) & picked up the pace a bit as based on miles to battery % earlier in the day I was going to get home with plenty to spare.

By the time I passed the Rockstore http://www.rock-store.com/
I was concerend to see I was down to 15%.
I know I'm only 12 miles from home (the long way) at this point & mostly downhill but I must get up the Snake first https://www.google.com/search?q=the+snake+mulholland&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS630US630&oq=the+snake+mu&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l2.12010j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=HicE-MlZGr7IOM: 
About halfway up, I realize battery level is dropping MUCH faster then it has previously!!!
I'm really taking it easy at this point & it's a good thing it's late in the day & I have the road to myself so as not to be a rolling roadblock.

By the time I get to the top, I realize I have to take the shortest way home (7 or so miles).
It's mostly downhill so I know that will help as I run full regen (Custom mode).

I'm tucked in as much as I can & debate if I should speed up in order to catch a car to draft.

I do catch a car & plant myself on their bumber all tucked in. 
I watch in horror as I'm down to 3%, then 2%. 
Thankfully it's a loooong downhill section with much regen & 3% reappears. 

Finally the downhill section ends & I must climb.
By this time 00% is displayed......
What the Heck, what happened to 01%?  I never saw it!!!
I decide to dump my tow & just slow WAY DOWN. 

I'm contemplating my options.....
There's a fire station not too far off my path. I could stop by there for a quick charge.  I check the time & see it's 8:30. Concerned that's a bit late for an unannounced visit I decide to press on.

I then decide to try to find a 110v outlet in a strip mall.
I circle around briefly looking & decide it's not worth the energy (literally) looking for power 4 miles from home as I MAY just pull this off yet.

It was perhaps the longest 4 miles I've yet traveled but I made it.

I never felt any reduction in performance, but then again I was REAL gentle on the  rheostat.

I've since read that the %  indicator can be misleading & that battery voltage is a truer gauge. 
Wish I had that knowledge last night.

NAHHHH, I just would have pressed on further & then truly ran out of juice.     
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »

...By this time 00% is displayed......
What the Heck, what happened to 01%?  I never saw it!!!...
You had another 5 miles of range at 20mph left (top speed limits to 45mph or so on flat even ground in this mode). There's a pessimism value cooked into the MBB settings. My 2016 DSR reportedly is set to 6% pessimism by default. I frequently see the bike drop from 02% to 00%. I don't think I've ever seen the 01% on any Zero.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2017, 08:17:20 PM »

...By this time 00% is displayed......
What the Heck, what happened to 01%?  I never saw it!!!...
You had another 5 miles of range at 20mph left (top speed limits to 45mph or so on flat even ground in this mode). There's a pessimism value cooked into the MBB settings. My 2016 DSR reportedly is set to 6% pessimism by default. I frequently see the bike drop from 02% to 00%. I don't think I've ever seen the 01% on any Zero.

I got my 2014 Zero PT S down to 01% and then just as it went to 00% the bike stopped dead.  I guess it just depends upon which firmware revision you have installed.  My firmware dates back to January 2014.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »

I've never seen 01%, 21%, 41%, 61% or 81% displayed on my dash.  If anyone has a picture showing any of these SOC's I would love to see it.  Not sure if its just my bike, or my firmware version or if all Zero's are this way.

Grandpa and ESokolof - for now at least if you have an iPhone and exit out of the app while riding and then hit the Zero icon again, at least for me it displays a pop up screen "connection to bike restored" and when I hit "ok" it goes to the battery page and I can see voltage, amps, watts, SOC - and basically everything I need to know exactly how many miles I have left. 

You have about a mile left at 92 volts, and about 5 miles left at 95 volts, granted these will all be at progressively reduced speeds, and this is not under throttle load.  While using throttle, you will surely see 90 volts if you are feeling a power cutback.  It will take a time or two to understand how the discharge curve works, but I'm sure most 5th graders could figure out how to correlate voltage to miles left based on their bike, riding style, weight etc, so I'm sure that means at least half of Zero owners will find voltage display to be very useful and most of those will consider it the most valuable metric they have to estimate remaining range.  I say remaining as it is not very useful above 25%.  For that use the dash SOC display.  At 50% the voltage curve is very flat and has very little sag compared to under 25% where voltage starts to drop faster and faster and near the end is extremely precise as where the SOC display could be + or - 10, 15% or more.   For Voltage to be most accurate to predict remaining range you need to coast for 3-5 seconds (no power bars on dash in the positive or negative direction (regen)), or what I would recommend for now is just pull over every few miles when you think you are getting low and check the voltage that way.  If you can't display voltage while riding, hit the stop/run switch and it should go to the battery page.  if it's 96-97 volts while sitting, its a good time to put the voltage on the display screen so you can see it while riding.  At least that's what I do.  I can adjust speed and ride faster so I can arrive at my charge stations at 0% dash everytime and yet not worry at all ever. 

About the only thing I wish the battery page had on it is battery temperature, but that is because of repeated fast charging cycles, but something I like to keep an eye on while riding.  And unfortunately its only visible as one of the selectable options on the riding screen, which I don't use for 2 reasons.  It doesn't display voltage, and it doesn't do portrait mode.  Hopefully there will be an update soon that fixes all these things
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:04:47 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2017, 06:23:39 PM »

I have my riding screen in portrait mode. It's selected at the top of the riding screen setup page.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »

I have my riding screen in portrait mode. It's selected at the top of the riding screen setup page.

Holy crap! Thanks DPsSRnSD!  It sure is!  I can't tell you how many Zero owners don't know that exists.  I look at that page all the time and have never seen that top line.  My eyes always go right to #1 in the middle of the page.  I thought it was a title and never read it said landscape lol.  I'll poll Zak Vetter today who was just complaining to me a few days ago about the lack of portrait mode for the Zero app.  I'll show him the option and ask him why he and others never saw that either! Awesome! 1 down, 1 to go! (battery voltage on riding screen)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »

Portrait mode was not a working feature until the most recent Zero Motorcycles app revisions. On some cheap go-phones like the one I'm using the option to lock the screen orientation only has options "Auto" and "Portrait" there is no way to lock landscape orientation.

Anyways the Zero app is pretty useless while riding - it does not display voltage and that's all I need to know while riding.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:25 AM »

I use it to monitor the battery, motor and controller temperatures.  I also display the remaining range which NEVER agrees with the figure displayed on the dash.  I go with the more "pessimistic" number just to be on the safe side.  :P
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]