• April 29, 2024, 07:03:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Easily Convert Any LED Bulb to Dual Intensity  (Read 1111 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Easily Convert Any LED Bulb to Dual Intensity
« on: December 13, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »

I used this circuit splitter to convert the front turn signals on my 2017 DSR to running/turn signals after replacing the stock bulbs with LED bulbs.  This is an easy and cheap way to convert any LED bulb to dual intensity.  It won't work with incandescent bulbs.

https://chromeglow.com/products/wiring-controls/turn-signal-circuits/dual-element-circuits/

All you do is connect the red wire to the turn signal positive and the orange wire to a constant 12V source.  The single red wire on the other end connects to the turn signal stalk.  I used the positive on the small running light above the headlight for the constant 12V source.  The red wire passes directly through the splitter at full intensity.  The orange wire passes through a resistor to provide about 50% intensity.

There are different models numbers for the circuit splitter depending on the number of LEDS you are trying to control.  I bought the one for 15-25 LED's and it is working fine except the bulb on one of the turn signals flickers a little bit when in running light mode.  I'm pretty sure the issue is with the bulb and not with the splitter or wiring because it does the same thing when I switch the bulb to the other turn signal.  The other bulb works fine in both running and turn signal mode in either turn signal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:12:29 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Easily Convert Any LED Bulb to Dual Intensity
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 02:33:15 AM »

That's an interesting cheap alternative to most of the running light solutions out there for sure.

Let us know how it holds up with weather, etc.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »

I used this circuit splitter to convert the front turn signals on my 2017 DSR to running/turn signals after replacing the stock bulbs with LED bulbs.  This is an easy and cheap way to convert any LED bulb to dual intensity.  It won't work with incandescent bulbs.

https://chromeglow.com/products/wiring-controls/turn-signal-circuits/dual-element-circuits/

All you do is connect the red wire to the turn signal positive and the orange wire to a constant 12V source.  The single red wire on the other end connects to the turn signal stalk.  I used the positive on the small running light above the headlight for the constant 12V source.  The red wire passes directly through the splitter at full intensity.  The orange wire passes through a resistor to provide about 50% intensity.

I suppose it's not a bad price for what your getting (2 diodes, 1 resister, 12" of thin wire & 3" of heat shrink tube) & the labor to put it together.
DYI is much cheaper & customizable tho.

What I do when creating duel intensity LED's is to use a potentiometer to "dial in" the optimal low intensity then use a resister with that ohm value.
Make sure to install a diode on each incoming line to prevent feed-back.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:04:58 PM »

Maybe someone will know the answer to this question.  As I mentioned in the original post, Chromeglow has different part numbers for the dual circuit converter depending on the number of LED's you're trying to control.  So I was wondering if the resistance in the circuit increases or decreases as the number of diodes goes up.  Intuitively, it would seem the resistance would want to decrease since more voltage would be needed to drive the greater amount of diodes, but I could be completely wrong on this.

PS - Let's say for instance that I have an LED turn signal bulb with 21 diodes so I would order part #6120-00 for 15-25 LED's.  If I wanted to increase the intensity of the lower power running light, would I order a dual intensity circuit for more or less LED's?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:32:03 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)
Pages: [1]