• April 29, 2024, 07:28:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: What are your dreams for 2018?  (Read 14197 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: What are your dreams for 2018?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »

Streamlining would be at the top of my list. Faster charging and better range is always good, too, but 1C charging IS available. Both are also arguably good enough for the great majority of us the great majority of the time. Streamlining, there's a lot of room for improvement and you're still on your own at this point.

It's kind of interesting to think what this list would have looked like even five years ago. We're SO blessed that the technology has come so far so fast!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:32 PM »

Streamlining would be at the top of my list. Faster charging and better range is always good, too, but 1C charging IS available. Both are also arguably good enough for the great majority of us the great majority of the time. Streamlining, there's a lot of room for improvement and you're still on your own at this point.

It's true that 1C charging is now solvable by third parties. I have the impression that Zero will let that mature for a year without trying to do anything themselves. I hear murmurs that the charging limit will get raised, which might be all they have to do to encourage it. (Ever notice that we all know the 1C rate informally because of Terry? Because it's not confirmed anywhere officially.)

The simple math is that once you have charging that fast, the best upgrade for an electric motorcycle is drag reduction because it cuts back on heat produced, charge used per mile, and recharge time all proportionally. And because of all that, commuting and travel get even more economical - it just takes a lot of investment to make that drag reduction economical to develop and make sure that it actually sells well...

It's kind of interesting to think what this list would have looked like even five years ago. We're SO blessed that the technology has come so far so fast!

Because this is the internet, we don't have to wonder!
2012, speculating on 2013: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2280
2013, speculating on 2014: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3112
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »

For commuters, I think Zero should seriously consider an updated XU.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »

BETTER PRICING.  Doesn't anyone wonder why prices have not gone done.  Battery costs are down 60-70%, but Zero Motorcycles are actually more expensive today than in 2014!  I just sold mine to buy an Energica Ego.  Twice the price, but ten times the bike and I can fast charge!

How did you do on trade in? I'm considering doing the same with my flawed 2015 SR. You get it shipped to the US, or are you somewhere else?
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »

BETTER PRICING.  Doesn't anyone wonder why prices have not gone done.  Battery costs are down 60-70%, but Zero Motorcycles are actually more expensive today than in 2014!

Battery costs are not down by that much outside of the 18650 market which has immense volume advantages and those cells are not suitable for electric motorcycles.

In Zero's case, the components improved in 2015 and onward, including the batteries. But you don't see that in published specifications year over year (I wish they'd publish/brag a bit more).

Anyone clamoring for better pricing has no idea what the margins are on this business. Zero is not bilking you. I think they're trying to push down the price point but doing it to gain volume without going bankrupt, and the closer I look the more difficult it sounds to gain volume, even though I disagree with Zero on some major decisions.

I just sold mine to buy an Energica Ego.  Twice the price, but ten times the bike and I can fast charge!

The Energica components are very nice, for sure, and I hope it runs very well for you. But you're getting the same or worse of a battery deal for that price; you're paying a big premium for those parts at very low volume.

For the record, that's $1800 for the fast charge option and 11.7kWh, less than a stock 4-brick SR/DSR, having checked http://configurator.energicamotorusa.com/

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 12:22:31 AM »

(Ever notice that we all know the 1C rate informally because of Terry? Because it's not confirmed anywhere officially.)

I do remember someone posting a Faresis data sheet here on EMF for the pouch cell used in my 2014 SR. It specifically designated the maximum allowable charging current (25A), which was 1C for that cell (25Ah capacity). It also gave maximum discharge rates, both long-term and short spikes, but I don't member those offhand. It should be searchable.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:13 AM »

Sync bike clock with phone clock
Cruise control
More software customization of mappings
Traction control
Theft protection

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 02:32:37 AM »

Sync bike clock with phone clock
Cruise control
More software customization of mappings
Traction control
Theft protection

Synchronize the bike's speedometer/odometer with the Smartphone's GPS.  Wouldn't that be cool??
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:53 AM »

Bigger frame for cruising with more passenger room. More comfortable  seat. Better display. Color black should always be an option. Seriously yellow???

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 03:33:20 AM »

Bigger frame for cruising with more passenger room. More comfortable  seat. Better display. Color black should always be an option. Seriously yellow???

Yellow is my favorite color, followed by lime green.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 05:36:46 AM »

Red is my favorite color, but this is my second yellow bike.  I like it... it really sticks out in traffic and that's important when you ride so silently...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 06:23:00 AM »

Red is my favorite color, but this is my second yellow bike.  I like it... it really sticks out in traffic and that's important when you ride so silently...

I agree. That is why I like bright colors.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 06:26:26 AM »

(Ever notice that we all know the 1C rate informally because of Terry? Because it's not confirmed anywhere officially.)

I do remember someone posting a Faresis data sheet here on EMF for the pouch cell used in my 2014 SR. It specifically designated the maximum allowable charging current (25A), which was 1C for that cell (25Ah capacity). It also gave maximum discharge rates, both long-term and short spikes, but I don't member those offhand. It should be searchable.

I have a copy of it and didn't recall that until now. The Zero contactor limit is slightly lower and not so much documented as observed. Well, now it's documented on the wiki.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »

Zero

Continued involvement and success in racing. When Zero is on the podium people will take notice!

Me

Grow a mustache

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »

Mostly, I want more range, and don't care much about charge time or price.

My FX works for commuting only, but I would like to use it for weekend rides of 140 to 200 miles, or ride to a dirt park 30 miles away and spend a whole day there. I dislike searching for outlets and waiting, and don't have or need an outlet at work.

My KTM 500 with 3.1-gallon tank does 180+, but the engine wears out quick. So I'd pay a lot for new battery tech that improves energy density by 3x.

Other things
- Charge time should stay <10h with the longer range.
- Power could be a little more; it can't easily lift the front. It's better with front battery out. The acceleration is good, so if it's a map issue, by all means fix it!
- The FX is quite small and I need the height of a typical 450. I'll likely a get DSR someday, but I prefer super light.
- With progressively harder braking (hand or foot), mechanical braking should not kick in until regen is at max.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12