• April 29, 2024, 01:32:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: What are your dreams for 2018?  (Read 14202 times)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: What are your dreams for 2018?
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »

I predict if they add a fast charging option they will be able to sell all the bikes they can produce.
You can fast charge today with aftermarket equipment. Zero Motorcycles does not have the resources to qualify new charging equipment for a worldwide market that is capable of this. What they can (and have started to do) is improve current-counting and safety systems to beyond the design limits of charging equipment that they will qualify and sell. We've heard there will be some action on this for 2018 but I think it will be an improvement on the components that allow the bike to safely accept greater than 1C charge rate (which already OEM charging is not capable of in any reasonable package to carry with the bike - you have to go aftermarket to get this as a built-in). The best thing that could be done is to make it easy and safe to replace the on-board charger by publishing the specification and selling the wiring harness.

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »

Option A: Totally new bigger Bike
- 15kwh
- 300V Battery that allowes CCS charging
- 200nm
- at least 160mm back tires and they should hire a good designer for this new bike (look at energica, ducati, yamaha,.. that is how a modern bike should look like)

Option B: Updates (also valid for option A of course)
- traction control
- More custom programs (it hardly differs if i ride bewtween citys/villages or am driving fast in the mountains. so i have to use a dumb compromise)
- Stroger regen (best would be stageless with gas backwards for example)
- Cruise-control. I cant keep the high speeds constant..
- more power is always good
- two front brake disks please!!!
- Belt guards
- LED Lights
- Built in break-fixation for parking on hills
- a better kickstand. This thing ist just bad
- More storage. The bike is thin as hell, there would be enogh space to place something for storage. Since i've installed the chargetank i cant put a single piece of paper in my bike!
- i would not mind to have the read break on my left hand. but thats not so important.

• 200km with one charge (was too easy)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 500km in a day (550+km)
  • 600km in a day
    driven in [5] out of 6 nearby countries

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »

I predict if they add a fast charging option they will be able to sell all the bikes they can produce.
You can fast charge today with aftermarket equipment. Zero Motorcycles does not have the resources to qualify new charging equipment for a worldwide market that is capable of this. What they can (and have started to do) is improve current-counting and safety systems to beyond the design limits of charging equipment that they will qualify and sell. We've heard there will be some action on this for 2018 but I think it will be an improvement on the components that allow the bike to safely accept greater than 1C charge rate (which already OEM charging is not capable of in any reasonable package to carry with the bike - you have to go aftermarket to get this as a built-in). The best thing that could be done is to make it easy and safe to replace the on-board charger by publishing the specification and selling the wiring harness.

I asked my semi-local dealer in Norway if they would install the SuperCharger for me. Their reply:
As an official importer of Zero Motorcycles in Norway, we provide motorcycles with the option offered by Zero Motorcycles.
This is because of, among other things, warranty coverage.
We have forwarded your request to Zero Motorcycles Europe, and are awaiting response from them.

I haven't heard back since. Many of you may be willing to void your warranty, I'm not (been there, done that earlier).

I'm waiting for a "bulletproof" solution that fits in the charge tank area, that the dealer will install and service for me if needed, but with ~1C charging capability. Energica might be an option, but the price difference is a bit high, I'd prefer to pay extra for a fast charging option on a Zero.

Sorry if this is off-topic.
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »

I asked my semi-local dealer in Norway if they would install the SuperCharger for me....I haven't heard back since. Many of you may be willing to void your warranty, I'm not (been there, done that earlier).
I'm waiting for a "bulletproof" solution that fits in the charge tank area, that the dealer will install and service for me if needed, but with ~1C charging capability. Energica might be an option, but the price difference is a bit high, I'd prefer to pay extra for a fast charging option on a Zero.
Sorry if this is off-topic.
The battery design is to charge at 3C and Zero Motorcycles cannot afford resources to do even 1C for worldwide market. I have the 1C SuperCharger kit in the charge tank area (three 3.3kW digiNow SCv2 modules), and no concern anymore about voiding battery warranty. If you will wait for Zero Motorcycles to do it, then you may wait forever :-)  Install is easy, and you should not allow a dealership to touch your bike for that! Maybe (I hope!) Norway is better for honest and hard working Zero technicians. Here in USA where I have been to dealerships they are all terrible at Zero Motorcycles working orders and mess up every single thing I have asked ever for them to do. Never does any job get done the correct way, I always have to be there or my bike becomes broken by the dealership.

For the topic I also have to say that some things you will never see from the manufacturer, it is just not possible, yet some things are already mounted on development bikes and are being tested at the factory. Many of those ideas which you want from the factory are impossible to warranty, yet they have been done already today in aftermarket options:  Faster charging, reverse switch, LED lighting, ... almost all requests here I have seen you can search the forum and learn how to make the modification for it.

What is very interesting to me will be how many people say they want something versus who will buy an aftermarket kit to modify their bike?  Does it absolutely have to be from Zero Motorcycles or are we willing to support aftermarket parts makers?

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »

Its all about warranty and legaloty. Where i live (switzerland) not halve the things are legal compared to the usa. You have more freedom to modify things on your bikes and cars. In addition I had my BMS failed 2 times on me now and i am scared to use a thirdparty charger because zero could blame me for a potential next bms fail...
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 600km in a day

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »

If Zero and my local dealer verify in writing that they allow aftermarket chargers without any potential warranty issues in 2018 and an aftermarket fast charger that fits in the charge tank area and is heat-/water-/fool-proof is offered for sale I would likely buy a 2018 DSR and that aftermarket fast charger.
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2017, 08:34:10 PM »

That they allow it does not mean the warranty of the battery and surrounding system like the bms are. I dont think that there would be problems, but i for myself dont want to risk this at this point. When i drove 1 year without a bms breaking i may consider an aftermarket charger.
So, back to topic i think?!:-)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 600km in a day

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »

Left-hand "freewheel" lever. When released, regen works as pre-programmed. As the lever is pulled in, regen setting is gradually temporarily decreased. When the lever is pulled all the way in, the bike freewheels when off-throttle as if a clutch is opened.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »

Left-hand "freewheel" lever. When released, regen works as pre-programmed. As the lever is pulled in, regen setting is gradually temporarily decreased. When the lever is pulled all the way in, the bike freewheels when off-throttle as if a clutch is opened.
so what happens in your mind if i pin the throttle with that lever in? what if I leave it pinned and release the lever?

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2017, 10:03:46 PM »

so what happens in your mind if i pin the throttle with that lever in? what if I leave it pinned and release the lever?

I'd have it do nothing to the throttle so it doesn't interfere with "lift and coast" vs. braking with regen. Maybe the lever should be shaped more like a paddle so it isn't mistaken for a clutch.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:22:52 AM by DPsSRnSD »
2020 Zero SR/S

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2017, 10:38:17 PM »

I'd have it do nothing to the throttle so it doesn't interfere with "lift and coast" vs. braking with regen. Maybe the level should be shaped more like a paddle so it isn't mistaken for a clutch.

Why not make the throttle go the other way and apply regen more as you increase the "counter throttle"? Isn't that more natural?

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »

I'd have it do nothing to the throttle so it doesn't interfere with "lift and coast" vs. braking with regen. Maybe the lever should be shaped more like a paddle so it isn't mistaken for a clutch.

Why not make the throttle go the other way and apply regen more as you increase the "counter throttle"? Isn't that more natural?

In heavy congestion, I like to have the bike slow immediately as I start twisting the throttle, giving me the same kind of control one has with a Tesla. I stopped using sport mode in congestion because the response wasn't fast enough. I use about 40% off-throttle regen, and not more only so my speed doesn't vary too much as I go over bumps.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:23:22 AM by DPsSRnSD »
2020 Zero SR/S

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »

Programmable charging via app so you can optimize your charging (start time & battery level or KW used).
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »

In heavy congestion, I like to have the bike slow immediately as I start twisting the throttle, giving me the same kind of control one has with a Tesla. I stopped using sport mode in congestion because the response wasn't fast enough. I use about 40% off-throttle regen, and not more only so my speed doesn't vary too much as I go over bumps.

These sentences seem entirely incompatible when I read them. Am I missing something? You want the bike to slow when you *start* twisting the throttle? Sport mode response isn't fast enough when in congestion, so you stopped using it for... another mode whose response cannot possible be faster?

By comparison, I lanesplit on my DSR constantly and it's the most responsive and easy to manage bike for it or any other congestion. I'm always in custom mode with 100% torque, 0% off-throttle regen, 100% brake regen, with the brake lever set so I can activate regen without touching the pads. I use a crampbuster paddle to smooth out my throttle usage, and I have a throttle lock so I can make a highway cruise with as little wasted torque/current as possible.

A more nuanced set of throttle mapping options would be nice, but I can't figure out what you think would work for you.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2017, 11:40:41 PM »

These sentences seem entirely incompatible when I read them. Am I missing something? You want the bike to slow when you *start* twisting the throttle? Sport mode response isn't fast enough when in congestion, so you stopped using it for... another mode whose response cannot possible be faster?

It's my experience on my bike that sport mode doesn't have as much off-throttle regen as I can program in custom mode. Maybe other bikes work differently. None of that, though, is significant to the conversation by itself, so we shouldn't dwell on it. This sentence was offered as the reason why I'm not interested in off-throttle regen that doesn't take effect until you roll past "0". I prefer the throttle as it is, which offers a response similar to driving a Tesla with one foot. All of this is in reply to the responses to my wish list item of a left-hand freewheel lever that I thought might be useful after watching Dario Franchitti's segment on lift and coast driving before the Berlin ePrix this past weekend. Did anyone else see that?
2020 Zero SR/S
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12