• April 29, 2024, 10:08:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Limp mode at 25%  (Read 2615 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Limp mode at 25%
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 01:39:23 AM »

Zero should soon be putting battery voltage on the riding screen for the app I hope, as it is the ONLY metric you can trust when it comes to range left.  Amp Hours, Kwh remaining, range, distance to empty, SOC all rely on the current sensors and coulomb counting.

While I agree it should be an option, don't forget that most people are not familiar with basic electrical principles, never mind technical EV knowledge.

Alot of them will be confused when the voltage goes up after they stop, or goes down when they turn onto the highway... Sure we understand it, and it seems so simple... but until the average high school kid knows  basic electrical principles, the general public are better off letting a watt meter do it for them.

Assuming that's true.....what better way to make sure that stays true than to hide the information from the rider.  Thinking that people can't figure out how voltage works if it's staring them in the face every time they ride is a little insulting to the intelligence of the general public.
2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 05:20:26 AM »

I'll be updating the manual entry for SoC based on the explanations here:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#State_of_Charge

But also I'll try to describe the existing cutbacks described; just not sure how I'll structure it.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 08:09:51 AM »

Reference point: 2016SR, ~5K miles, SOC at start of ride was 90%.  Rode combination of highway/city. The last leg was highway, 70 - 85mph. I was pushing the bike, to see what it did at low SOC. I got home with 3%. Anecdotal results: it seemed like when SOC got low (< 10%) acceleration was limited; but that may be my imagination. My top speed was definitely not limited. Summary: the bike performed flawlessly, I've no complaints.

Compared to some other's reports, I'm thinking I may have lucked out with a really good machine. BTW, had software update/recomissioning a few weeks ago. I think I'm one software update behind.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »

Last week when I was riding, I didn't notice a limp mode until about 10% battery life. I was in Eco mode and on the twisties. There was a little incline as well. I've hit 0% before and was able to go another 3-5 miles but never on an incline.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »

Assuming that's true.....what better way to make sure that stays true than to hide the information from the rider.  Thinking that people can't figure out how voltage works if it's staring them in the face every time they ride is a little insulting to the intelligence of the general public.

If it sounds insulting, then you're not the general public. The general public will make no attempt to learn, and instead will clog up tech support with 500 calls of day wanting to know why the voltage drops when riding and how is the bike "magically charging at stop lights"...

If you really want a voltmeter, you could connect one to either the charge port, or directly to the controller lugs.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 07:16:43 AM »

This is perhaps true, if a 2-3 sentence explanation of voltage display wasn't included as a pop up screen when voltage is displayed as "advanced" options with a proper warning.  Thinking some people are too dumb to understand that is not a valid reason to hide useful information from the majority of riders to where it can make their user experience more useful and reliable.

A morning a couple months ago I left the house with 45% on my iPhone 6S Plus (fell asleep using the phone and forgot to plug in), went to the dog beach on a brisk cold morning ride, the phone mounted and got chilled right away from its 74 degree environment to about 38 degrees.  Got to the beach and tried to take a video of Charger playing with another dog.  It recorded for about 7 seconds and then the phone died and wouldn't turn back on.  Got home and plugged the phone in and when it came on it instantly said 37% and charging.

Some might consider Apple a big company, and even the big boys don't have it completely figured out yet.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:26:02 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »

This is perhaps true, if a 2-3 sentence explanation of voltage display wasn't included as a pop up screen when voltage is displayed as "advanced" options with a proper warning.  Thinking some people are too dumb to understand that is not a valid reason to hide useful information from the majority of riders to where it can make their user experience more useful and reliable.

A morning a couple months ago I left the house with 45% on my iPhone 6S Plus (fell asleep using the phone and forgot to plug in), went to the dog beach on a brisk cold morning ride, the phone mounted and got chilled right away from its 74 degree environment to about 38 degrees.  Got to the beach and tried to take a video of Charger playing with another dog.  It recorded for about 7 seconds and then the phone died and wouldn't turn back on.  Got home and plugged the phone in and when it came on it instantly said 37% and charging.

Some might consider Apple a big company, and even the big boys don't have it completely figured out yet.

You'll notice that your Apple phone does not have a voltmeter either, for the same reason.

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »

Does anyone know if dealers will or can downgrade the firmware if a customers so desires?

I hit limp mode today at 19% and it was a harrowing experience. I'd only gone about 61 miles at that point off highway probably averaging about 48 mph. Wasn't especially hot out. I've hit it before in the high teens (battery percentage) and I believe that time was also after my last firmware upgrade (same version I have now).

-Jerome
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 11:58:12 PM »

Indeed. This post inpsired me to write about my voltmeter addition.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7229.0
2014 Zero 11.4
Pages: 1 [2]