• April 28, 2024, 11:14:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My review of the BMW C-Evolution eScooter  (Read 6058 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: My review of the BMW C-Evolution eScooter
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2018, 04:54:33 AM »

The article states that its regen can increase the scooter's range by 10 to 20%.  Frankly, I find that statement hard to believe.  In my personal experience, after owing 5 electric motorcycles, it is more like 1 to 3%.

Not sure about my Zeros or my Volt, but Three years with a Ford Focus Electric returned an AVERAGE of 20% added by regeneration. I hypermile at every opportunity so that may be the difference.
Many seem to put regen to maximum at all times. I keep it as mild as feasible other than maximum for braking. This way you don't have to accelerate again after letting off of the throttle when slowing down

It has been my experience that electric motorcycles don't get much love from regen as a battery recharger. I think it works a lot better in a car, probably because cars weigh a lot more than a motorcycle and can overcome the regen drag much better.  On my bikes, regen will slow the bike down quickly, resulting in little recharging time, compared with power consumption when traveling.  Plus, regen tends to slow the bike down too much for the average road conditions, requiring the need to activate the throttle (and suck more power) to maintain a steady speed.  I have my regen set for coasting with the throttle closed and that works best for me and I think it provides the most efficient use of battery power under most conditions.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »

I use full regen (100%) in my "Custom" mode.  I use it primarily to save the brake pads more than anything else.  I can either convert my forward speed into heat and black dust, or I could put some of that forward momentum back into the battery.  Typically I can ride my favorite twisties without ever even touching the brakes.

Fun Trivia:  Regen only kicks in when you roll the throttle off all the way to the stop.  If you keep it from rolling all the way to the stop, you coast.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:03 PM »

One thing I have noticed is that I have my custom program set to 100% regen when braking and that gives me more regen effect than does braking when having the bike in "eco" mode. So when I want to slow down I lightly touch the front brake, which activates the brake light and provides 100% regen drag but doesn't squeeze the brake pads until I need more braking and squeeze harder on the brake lever.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »

BTW, I was talking about the regen on my Zero.  Based on my one road test of the BMW eScooter, full regen is like jamming on the rear brake hard.  Damned near unridable at that setting...  I definitely prefer the "full regen" setting on the Zero!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2018, 09:29:48 PM »

Actually, it's like driving the Nissan Leaf e-Pedal. You learn to let go of the throttle, bit-by-bit. Indeed, letting go fo the throttle is like hitting a brick wall. And BTW, when you do let go fast, the brake light goes on...

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 04:01:51 AM »

Here is another just published review of the 2018 BMW C Evolution, this one by Motorcycle.com:
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2018-bmw-c-evolution-review.html

cpallenjr

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »

I recently purchased a C Evolution from Long Beach BMW in California, and had it shipped up here to Seattle, WA. I am a long-time BMW aficionado having owned a half-dozen bikes and two cars over the last 20 years, including a 2013 C650GT. I am using it to commute to work in downtown Seattle and think that the C Evolution will be an improvement over the ICE scooter due to it's much lower operating costs.  I have had no performance problems with the 20 miles of freeway and 10 miles of urban travel on my route (round trip) and have plenty of capacity for running various errands along the way. It's great for running up to the store or going on a little cruise in the evenings or on Saturday afternoon. Just like the C650GT was. I think the C Evo handles better - more planted and stable. Corners like on rails, and the fit and finish seems to be a little better. - the paint in particular.  I have been charging it over night from a regular 120v circuit in my garage.

There are a bunch of reviews on the web that are pretty accurate. Moshe Levy's was instrumental in my decision to buy because he pointed out the operating cost costs of the C650 vs C Evolution. The motorcycle.com you tube comparison with a Zero SR (?) is also really good. Having owned the C650, I can point out some differences. Other than Heated grips and a Hella/BMW auxiliary power outlet (in the right fairing pocket) there are very few electrical doo-dads on th C Evo. No Tire Pressure Monitors, heated seats, or electro-mechanical lock releases. I have not (so far) actuated the ABS or Traction control but am glad to have them there to help me out when needed. One adjustment made was the purchase of a BMW Top box with the scooter because of the decrease in underseat storage. My favorite thing about it is that it's practically silent. I also like the way you can control speed as though the 'throttle' is a rheostat - rarely need to use the brakes except to hold position.

I have almost 500 miles on it now. My other bike is a 2016 BMW R1200GSA (Adventure-style bike) and it is a perfect complement to a scooter, particularly this one.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:45:38 AM by cpallenjr »
C Allen
Seattle, WA
2017 BMW C Evolution
2016 BMW R1200GSA

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »

I wouldn't use the throttle to hold your scooter in place on a hill (if that is what you are doing).  That is really tough on the motor as it heats it up and can lead to issues eventually if you do this long enough. Use the brakes to keep it from rolling backward and only use the throttle when taking off on a hill after releasing the brake.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:07:15 PM by Richard230 »

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »

I wouldn't use the throttle to hold your scooter in place on a hill (if that is what you are doing).  That is really tough on the motor as it heats it up and can lead to issues eventually if you do this long enough. Use the brakes to keep it from rolling backward and only use the throttle when taking off on a hill after releasing the brake.

Or flick the sidestand which puts the parking brake on.

cpallenjr

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »

Mike and Richard - thanks for your comments but as stated, I mostly just use the brake to hold position. I'm sorry, but using the motor or the side stand for this purpose doesn't even make sense and I hope it's not something people think is a good idea, electric or internal combustion.
C Allen
Seattle, WA
2017 BMW C Evolution
2016 BMW R1200GSA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]