Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2012 and older

2011 XU total rebuild, need batt advice

<< < (2/3) > >>

cenesdelavega:
Can you give more details? Thanks, Roger

ZNRL:
Nice thread. What is the range using the Nissan batteries? 
Please give us more details.
 I'd like to increase the range on a 2011 MX, currently it has a new updated stock battery but if it was double the range, it would be nicer..  I'm getting about an hours worth, 14 miles I think.. Used a Garmin GPS to track it.
Max speed is about 25mph to 30mph on sandy desert trails, nothing crazy.

Bought used to ease into my first electric enduro, working on making it street legal for trails, everything is working, fun in the desert, I'm hooked.

honey_badger:
I didn't really have the time to test the range on the bike as I got extremely busy with work and now winter is here (-25C at the moment). I couldn't even "estimate" the range as the Zero battery indicator must be set on the capacity of the original pack and does not reflect the actual SOC of the Nissan Leaf cells. For example the display would indicate two bars left (20% capacity remaining) after some use but then after turning off and on the bike it would indicate 80% capacity remaining.

I built myself a gauge to see the battery pack voltage (see pic attached) and have a better idea of the actual SOC.

ZNRL:
What BMS and charger did you use for the Nissan batteries?
Did you bypass the zero brain and use something else like a Cycle Analyst with the Alltrax controller?

My goal is to double the range for trail riding..

Thanks

honey_badger:
Hi ZNRL,

I left everything original (original BMS and original Charger) on the bike except the battery. I had to re-wire the Nissan Leaf battery cells exactly the same way the original zero battery was wired to the bms, so I suggest taking your time marking all the wiring if you change the battery. I am quite happy with the results as bypassing the internal Zero controller or "brain" would have meant more work to rewire everything, more parts to be added and bought, loosing the original display and some safety features.

I would strongly suggest to consider 18650 (or the new standard 20700 if available) cells for an off road bike as you can easily fit them into the original battery box (no engineering/making external or additional battery boxes). I choose Nissan Leaf cells as I live in Canada and I was lucky to find a supplier that would ship the cells to me at reasonable cost. 18650 cells would have doubled my cost for the same capacity but the job would have been cleaner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version