• April 29, 2024, 09:48:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crash protection?  (Read 607 times)

Tony

• View Profile
Crash protection?
« on: September 01, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »

Recently I was driving in a public garage, and a parked cleaning machine was leaking soapy water all over the already very smooth surface. The soapy water layer was nearly invisible and took me by complete surprise, as a result is my Zero slipped and fell over. Luckily the speed was very low, and I was wearing full body protective gear. However, my leg got under the bike as it fell. Nothing permanently damaged, thank you knee cap protectors, but my knee and shin turned Smurf-blue all over. I also made a big imprint on the floor where the bike touched down, so there was quite a lot of force going down there. The motorcycle came out without a scratch, except for twisted mirrors, so good build quality Zero!

This got me thinking though. What if it happened outside, for example on a rainy day in a roundabout at a higher speed?

I noticed some motorcycles has some kind of railing or bumper along the side and front, I assume that is there to protect the legs in the case of such an accident? And, if so, are there any alternatives that could be mounted on a Zero DSR?

evdjerome

• View Profile
Re: Crash protection?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »

Some people have installed Zero crash bars.
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#OEM_Crash_Bars

Recently I was driving in a public garage, and a parked cleaning machine was leaking soapy water all over the already very smooth surface. The soapy water layer was nearly invisible and took me by complete surprise, as a result is my Zero slipped and fell over. Luckily the speed was very low, and I was wearing full body protective gear. However, my leg got under the bike as it fell. Nothing permanently damaged, thank you knee cap protectors, but my knee and shin turned Smurf-blue all over. I also made a big imprint on the floor where the bike touched down, so there was quite a lot of force going down there. The motorcycle came out without a scratch, except for twisted mirrors, so good build quality Zero!

This got me thinking though. What if it happened outside, for example on a rainy day in a roundabout at a higher speed?

I noticed some motorcycles has some kind of railing or bumper along the side and front, I assume that is there to protect the legs in the case of such an accident? And, if so, are there any alternatives that could be mounted on a Zero DSR?
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Crash protection?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »

Notes from tipping over on a 2016 Zero DSR:

With the non-police crash bars, a Givi V47 top case, and the Cycra handle bar guards, you are still going to rough up the rear most and bottom portion of the swingarm.

Contact points for a right-hand tip over are the toprack "hand grab" area, handle bar guard, topcase, crash bar, foot pegs, rear brakeset, and swingarm.

When the frame goes down righthand side the rear brakeset gets mashed into the frame and makes a dent in the frame.

I would be concerned about mangling the rear sprocket if you ended up lefthand side down.
Pages: [1]