• April 28, 2024, 12:55:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 12kW L2 Chargers  (Read 3481 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: 12kW L2 Chargers
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 08:31:42 PM »

> The Delware House Travel Plaza on I-95 has 2 18kw j plugs.

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/53286

Yup, claims there are two.

> and my sisters house in Florida where she recently installed a 40amp charger

Um, 40 amp circuits are normally used to drive 32A 6.6kw evse. You need 100A circuit to for a 80A evse to get 18kw.

I sure hope someone doesn't make a your sister joke.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »

Yeah, was a little off there. The 40 amp is really only 9.6kw.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 04:33:15 AM »

> The Delware House Travel Plaza on I-95 has 2 18kw j plugs.

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/53286

Yup, claims there are two.

Can confirm, there's several 18kW J plugs up 95, at visitor centers that end in "House". Maryland House, Chesapeake House, etc. Pretty much the only plug over 7-10kW that I've even seen. Have to park surrounded by semis, but at least there's food and bathroom at each stop.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »

> > The Delware House Travel Plaza on I-95 has 2 18kw j plugs.

> > http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/53286

> Can confirm, there's several 18kW J plugs up 95, at visitor centers that end in "House". Maryland House, Chesapeake House, etc. Pretty much the only plug over 7-10kW that I've even seen. Have to park surrounded by semis, but at least there's food and bathroom at each stop.

Awesome.  These? https://mdta.maryland.gov/md_i-95_travel_plazas/home.html

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 06:10:37 AM »

Yeah, was a little off there. The 40 amp is really only 9.6kw.

And electricians generally don't wire up more than 80% of a circuit's rating for continuous loads.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »

In the Reno-Tahoe area there's an older Eaton made station which claims 16.8kW and might be worth trying:

IVGID
DIAMOND PEAK
1210 Ski Way
Incline Village, NV

Note I've seen this station up close, it's real, though I was not able to put much of a load on it to test what it would allow.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 05:25:05 AM »

I've used about 5000 J1772's (3300 alone according to ChargePoint, stat pic below) in the last 8 years (sometimes 4 at a time) and I've seen just 1 J1772 station that can do 12 kW located in Tucson, AZ (pic attached, and FB link below) but it is no longer on the map.  About 1 in 100 will do 8 kW, but 99% are 7 kW or less, and almost all Blink stations are about 5.5 kW or less.

But I've seen quite a few Tesla stations do over 16 kW.

And the easiest way to get 12 kW or more, (I have many times pulled 24 kW or higher), is using multiple J1772's at the same time.  I've used thousands of locations with 2 J plugs or more, many have 4 or more.

Thanks, Terry. Unf I find this really discouraging for EV owners -- both moto and car -- in the US. For my Zero, which has far less battery than a car -- I have to use two plugs to charge in a resonable amount of time? I think the biggest factor holding adoption of EVs is charging infrastructure. We are nowhere near where we need to be.

Now I'm wondering about history. How did it come to be that the most prevalent stations (J1772 level 2) only supply 6.something?
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »

Manufacturers skimped on parts.

chrisho

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 07:50:20 PM »

Thank you for starting this thread.  I am very interested to see what experiences people have both with higher power home EVSE and how many support higher power in the wild today.  It's my understanding that 90% of the charging infrastructure in the US is Level 2, but I can't quantify how many offer higher power.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto

Can you divulge at what temperature of the pack that charging is impacted? I am looking at the SR/F but MCN's long term review of their Zero was not encouraging with regards to charging and the pack temperatures being high during rush hour commuting

Does Zero plan to move liquid cooled packs?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »

Can you divulge at what temperature of the pack that charging is impacted? I am looking at the SR/F but MCN's long term review of their Zero was not encouraging with regards to charging and the pack temperatures being high during rush hour commuting

Does Zero plan to move liquid cooled packs?

It's the same battery that's in the current line of bikes. I took a long trip up the coast on my SR this last weekend and was getting full 1C power as high as 126ËšF. I think the battery shuts off around 137ËšF.

The complexity involved in liquid cooling these packs is... quite high. Considering that and the fact that currently all the cells are potted makes this very unlikely. I'd be shocked if you were getting close to thermal cutback from rush hour commuting, though. You can drive a constant 70mph all day with full charges at all stops and not meet thermal cutback.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »

I have went on road trips with my Energica Eva which involved multiple CCS charging stops. Charging speed slowing down due to the battery heating up only happened when air temps were getting above mid 80s or so. I live in North Carolina so this would happen occasionally in the summertime. I would love to see Energica go to a liquid cooling system for their battery but when you look at the frequency and severity of the problem it isn't that bad. Sucks when it does though. I don't see Zero ever going back to selling a CHAdeMO system so I am not sure how much benefit there would be for a liquid cooled battery when you only have L2 charging. I realize our European friends can charge a lot faster than we can in the US just because of higher L2 charging power. Maybe they see this issue differently though. No question though liquid cooling of the battery pack it going to raise the price of the bikes.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 02:33:27 AM »

> I realize our European friends can charge a lot faster than we can in the US just because of higher L2 charging power. ...

European Mennekes Level 2 can go to 6.6kw in each phase of 3 phases, or ~20kw, not really much higher than the 18kw J1772 plugs can do.  It's just the charging networks not implementing faster stations, probably since the automakers are slow-walking EV in favor of their fossil-vehicle profits.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:36:12 AM by togo »
Pages: 1 2 [3]