• April 27, 2024, 08:01:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Limiting Charging Amperage  (Read 1839 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Limiting Charging Amperage
« on: May 13, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »

I've got a friend with an interesting question and I thought I'd post it here in case any of you have suggestions.  He REALLY wants to get a Zero this year but he's got one problem.

He lives in a Condiminium Complex, and there is an outdoor outlet in front of his unit however it is only wired for a maximum of 10 Amps, and is also a shared outlet.  The idea is for it to be used during the holiday season for decorative lighting.  He said that most electric cars have limiting circuitry to only pull what it can from a circuit and was surprised the Zero will apparently always attempt to draw 12 amps.

What he's looking for is some way to limit the current draw so he doesn't end up blowing circuit breakers and getting his neighbors all honked off at him.  Unless his assumption is incorrect, does anyone know of a way his situation could be resolved?  I told him to just wheel the bike into the kitchen and plug it in there but for some reason he doesn't think his SO would go for that.  :P
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

remmie

• View Profile
Re: Limiting Charging Amperage
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:49:25 PM »

Using only a DeltaQ (external) charger and not connecting the onboard would draw only 1000 Watt (<9 Amps @ 115V).

Some people got these DeltaQ chargers for free with a new bike and have no use for it. maybe somebody is willing to part with it for a friendly price.

the DeltaQ is weatherproof.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=194
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:21:54 PM »

VERY interesting.  Thanks, Remmie, I have passed that information along to my friend.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:44:47 AM »

Problem for charging on solar too!  Constant draw at 12amps can be a pita in the PNW.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »

Also the FX series charges at 650Watts whose modular versions allow the battery to be brought to a higher capacity outlet in the domicile.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »

Also the FX series charges at 650Watts whose modular versions allow the battery to be brought to a higher capacity outlet in the domicile.

My friend is looking into a DS, as the FX bikes don't have the range/performance he needs for it to be a practical daily commuter around here.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:11:53 AM »

My friend is looking into a DS, as the FX bikes don't have the range/performance he needs for it to be a practical daily commuter around here.
Be sure to consider an FX with a digiNow SCv2 fast charger. I have seen this setup and it looks more practical as the DS for about the same cost, although it depends on charge stations. You could take the battery out and charge more quickly out of view from neighbors.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »

The answer I give for everyone that lives in an apartment/condo that wants a motorcycle.... dont.
it will get stolen. Doesnt matter where you live. Doesnt matter how good/bad the bike is.. its sitting out.

the exception to this is if you also rent a garage space.. if you do, then sure.. and it will have a normal outlet, and you can plug in the zero normally.

Remember the zero draws the same power as a hairdryer.. its not super high... its what you're supposed to be able to pull from a normal outlet.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:53:48 PM »

Wow! Apparently there is such a thing as a 10 amp breaker! But I've never seen one. And on this forum of electrical contractors and electrical inspectors most electricians in 30 years in the field have never seen anything less than a 15 amp breaker.  Good news is if the wiring is 14 awg, just swap the breaker for a 15 amp one.  But have an electrical contractor do that to make sure.  Not sure how electrical code can even allow that for special purposes like holiday lighting.  If it looks like an outlet, someone with a plug might plug into it with something that draws 1800 watts.  That is extremely silly that can pass code.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/electrical-systems-home-inspection-and-commercial-inspection/19069-10-amp-outlet-receptacle-circuits.html
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:26:38 PM »

Thanks, Terry.  I've passed this info along to my friend.

As for the comment about the bike getting stolen:  The bike would be locked with a heavy chain wrapped around a concrete column alongside his front porch right by the front door and bedroom window.  That, and the fact that he lives in a gated community AND there really isn't any market (right now) for electric bikes (compared to heavy cruisers and plastic-covered sport bikes) means the bike should be relatively safe.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »

The answer I give for everyone that lives in an apartment/condo that wants a motorcycle.... dont.
it will get stolen. Doesnt matter where you live. Doesnt matter how good/bad the bike is.. its sitting out.

the exception to this is if you also rent a garage space.. if you do, then sure.. and it will have a normal outlet, and you can plug in the zero normally.

Remember the zero draws the same power as a hairdryer.. its not super high... its what you're supposed to be able to pull from a normal outlet.
My condo/townhome has a small fenced back yard. Seems made for an electric motorcycle. If it didn't I'd prolly park it inside.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »

I live in an apartment and have never had a motorcycle stolen.

Then again, my taste in motorcycles probably intersects with the resellable kind a lot less than average.  And I don't like to keep them stock- they are pretty distinctive and have lots of weird identifiable features.

Indeed, many in my neighborhood have motorcycles stolen.

Did have one attempt- had to replace the key mechanism on my 2011 Zero S.

But yes, renting garage space is a good option lots of places.  Indeed you may find people who never thought about renting out some space in their garage who wouldn't mind sharing for a fee if it's clean and quiet.  Like a zero.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 02:15:16 AM »

Thanks, Terry.  I've passed this info along to my friend.

As for the comment about the bike getting stolen:  The bike would be locked with a heavy chain wrapped around a concrete column alongside his front porch right by the front door and bedroom window.  That, and the fact that he lives in a gated community AND there really isn't any market (right now) for electric bikes (compared to heavy cruisers and plastic-covered sport bikes) means the bike should be relatively safe.
Oooh so he isn't on the 30th floor or something. Just use a heavy duty long lead in that case.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 01:03:26 AM »

If its right outside his window, just run a cord out the window. problem solved.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:47:40 AM »

I've updated http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Usage#Home_Charging with some suggestions here.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]