• April 29, 2024, 07:01:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Loose ground wire ?  (Read 787 times)

Franswak

• View Profile
Loose ground wire ?
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »

Hi folks,

I have a Zero S that I just bought few weeks ago and I noticed a ground wire that is loose below the front light. Can you please tell me what this cable is for ? and if I "must" put it back because the bike seems to work fine without it..

Thanks

Franswa
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:32:52 PM by Franswak »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Loose ground wire ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »

Nice photos.

Can some owner of a bike that has never been worked on please confirm?   I suppose that the ground wire is attached to looker's right side (driver's left side) bolt that attaches the display, between the mounting and the cover;  This wire was loose when I removed my headlight and display.

I don't know the electrical function. The bike runs fine without it connected, but there's only 2 bolts for the headlight and another 4 (6? I forget) for the display covering. It's very simple to re-attach.

*edit* adding photos.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:18:33 AM by Shadow »

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »

Yes, it connects exactly where you have pictured Shadow....inside of left blinker....but either side should work fine....good contact with metal is the key.

Electronics are funny....just because it works doesn't mean everything is OK.  There are many ground to chassis connections on the bike so depending which one you leave disconnected there can still be a path to ground but that doesn't mean everything will just keep working flawlessly forever.....you should connect the ground wire.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 02:38:44 AM »

I don't know what that ground wire is for, but two nonobvious reasons for a ground wire are static electricity and EMI, electromagnetic interference. In most cases neither of those will cause serious problems, but both are capable of causing electronic failures that are serious. Static discharge can destroy delicate circuitry and it can easily be shunted away safely by a ground wire. EMI can interfere with your AM radio, or it can disrupt the communication on the bikes computers. Again, grounding can prevent such problems. Zero wouldn't spend money for parts and labor for such a wire without good reason.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Franswak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:00:27 AM »

:)
Thank you very much, I'll put a screw there then..
Thanks for the quick reply
Pages: [1]