• April 29, 2024, 01:51:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ride-On tire sealant for ATV on my Motorcycle, Good or Bad?  (Read 4814 times)

macstructures

• View Profile
Re: Ride-On tire sealant for ATV on my Motorcycle, Good or Bad?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 04:02:14 AM »

Ah, okay. If it was mine, I'd let it be. It's already in there, it shouldn't do much harm.  If you have to deal with gunk in the tire you might as well wait till you have to change a tire.

Yes... thats the plan.. I been searching online and a few persons have used the ATV version on motorcycles, a lot cheaper and it seems to have the same result. Some say that it might not be good due to the fact that motorcycles run at higher speeds... but no problem with me.. just ride to enjoy the day... no rush or timeline... will give it a try.

Zero: 2016 DSR
HD: Rocker C 08 / Sportster 1200L 09

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 04:04:24 AM »

Can't help you with the ATV Ride-On but I can comment on whether Ride-On is messy or not - in my opinion, it isn't. It stays neatly right in the center of the tire and washes out easily with water if you need to wash it out. I have changed tires with Ride-On in them and it has not been a problem at all. I don't use it anymore because it failed to stop a slow leak and I kind of lost confidence in it. I have heard that Slime tire sealant is quite messy.

OK.. will see when I have to replace a tire... hopefully in several thousands miles... I only have 600 miles.

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 03:59:25 AM »

the main difference I see from the website, is that the motorcycle version is safe for TPM sensors, and that it works on the center of the tire and is quite thick: from the vid ( ). The ATV version does not mention those features, but mainly that it will seal a larger hole up to .25" and seal bead leaks. This implys that it is a thinner formula if it can reach the bead area.

They race those atvs and off-the-road vehicles, so I doubt that speed would be a problem.
The tires have a larger volume - the volume of the target tire could be one reason it's cheaper.

The ATV formula was also advertised for motocross bikes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:03:29 AM by 42Cliffside »

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »

the main difference I see from the website, is that the motorcycle version is safe for TPM sensors, and that it works on the center of the tire and is quite thick: from the vid ( ). The ATV version does not mention those features, but mainly that it will seal a larger hole up to .25" and seal bead leaks. This implys that it is a thinner formula if it can reach the bead area.

They race those atvs and off-the-road vehicles, so I doubt that speed would be a problem.
The tires have a larger volume - the volume of the target tire could be one reason it's cheaper.

The ATV formula was also advertised for motocross bikes.

Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time and posting the info and videos... very helpful.

I already put the ATV version on the Zero DSR and one tire of the HD, I will complete the process on the other tire of the HD and the second HD motorcycle using the same product for now... and see what happens.

The info that I found, was pretty much the same that you did ...it should be OK for both applications... if not.. when it get to a point of replacing the tires due to wear (YES) or failure (Hopefully NOT), I will then decide if I use the ATV formula again or the motorcycle one... .. hopefully the motorcycle version is at a lower price.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:07:47 AM by macstructures »

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »

For whatever it's worth, mushroom plugs were super effective for me. I got a puncture on brand new tire, got it plugged and it lasted ~7K miles until this happened:

I personally wouldn't bother with sealant, sticky plugs are the way to go IMO.

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »

http://www.ride-on.com/calculator.html

I already put the ATV version on the Zero DSR and one tire of the HD,

did you use the calculator for your dose -ATV Dosage Calculations- for that formula? they say up to 25% more can be used for extreme conditions.

Oh and for Plug users, the ride-on formulas say they are plug repair safe.

edit:
I'd email them as a motocross dosage question:
Please email us each tire size that you find that is not in our dosage table so that we can add it to future versions.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:40:33 PM by 42Cliffside »

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »

hmm... I'd email them, and avoid the ATV in a road only tire (Harley)

http://www.ride-on.com/technical.html

As another example our ATV sealant is rather viscous with rubber particles, which may create a severe vibration/balancing issue if it were to be installed into your Auto and/or Motorcycle tires. Furthermore, the ATV product is designed to seal larger punctures in off-road only tires.

It sounds like the ATV product is thicker than I imagined from the description. and the product compare page is blank for me (no compares, downloads) http://www.ride-on.com/product-comparison.html
I still think it will be OK to use as long as you don't put too much in for the tire size, as that would make balance problems worse. 

Moderate riding style should minimize balance problems caused by too much product, problems that I might exacerbate with my full throttle off every line style with too much stuff moving around in the tire.
Edit- Could be the opposite, without Trying I can't know - yet.

Specifically, I would ask what changed to the ATV formula since the ATV/MOTOCROSS video was released.
-That last Q might get you a discount on the proper formula... Wortha  try.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:29:56 PM by 42Cliffside »

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »

It is already on the motorcycle... will see how it handles and if it vibrates... hopefully not ... if it does.. Ill have to remove it from the tires. I will have to add it to the tire of the HD... it is already in the back tire (run out of product after putting it in the Zero first ), I have another bottle (ATV version) will add it to the front of the HD to have both tire with it.

Not sure If I will put it on the 3rd motorcycle..a HD... but I might do it... both motorcycles have over 7K miles on the tires.. and if something happens.. I rather have something to seal the puncture...

Im not concerned on how to repair the tire (plugs, repair kits...) I'm concern on having a problem and loosing control of the motorcycle due to a puncture... I hope this product works / helps as stated.

I been riding for only 5 years... and luckily no tire punctures or leaks.. will like to keep it that way.

I found both Zero tires sizes on the Ride-on website and put the amount that was recommended plus 25% for extreme conditions... it said that the 25% is also recommended to self balance the tire, and remove weights. Correct?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »

I have had punctures on tubeless tires before and it is not much of an issue.  They leak slowly and the handling just gets kind of strange as the tire pressure goes down to about 20 psi. You can tell when something is wrong and most of the time leaving the nail (or whatever) in place and just pumping up the tire will get you home where you can do a proper repair.

Much better than getting a puncture on a tube-type (spoked wheel) tire.  Those go flat quickly and can lead to sudden instability.  Better get off the road quickly and hope that you can repair the leak - which I can't as I don't carry enough tools to get the wheel off the bike, break the bead, remove the tube, patch or replace the tube and get everything back together again.  That is why I just love tubeless tires mounted on cast wheels.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 08:00:38 AM »

OK.. it is in all motorcycle tires... will see what happens... hopefully will be in there for several years until I have to replace a tire due to wear... and a lot of fun rides.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »

> Much better than getting a puncture on a tube-type (spoked wheel) tire.  Those go flat quickly and can lead to sudden instability.  Better get off the road quickly ...

I had hat happen on a tubeless tire once... but it was the valve stem.

Center median on I-880 by San Leandro. Was interesting.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »

hopefully will be in there for several years until I have to replace a tire due to wear... and a lot of fun rides.

Sounds like a bit of a contradiction.

I can see that using this product makes more sense when tires last so long.
I'm a commuter rider & I average close to 2 sets of tires/year.
On my ICE bike, I change tires more frequently then oil.

I've had a couple of incidents where the tire was slashed and this product wouldn't help on those.

When I picked up my used DSR back in May, the first thing I did was install a Fobo TPM....
https://my-fobo.com/
3.5k miles later im quite pleased with it.

I recommend everyone use some sort of a TPM system.
I can't imagine these products could not be harmless to sensors but maybe I'm wrong.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »

RE Tire pressure sensors, it was only the motorcycle version that was safe for the sensors, and only the hermetically sealed type, they do list some bike models that have the unsealed type that it can't be used with.

not sure what aftermarket ones are what type, might need to email the TPMS company and ride-on to be sure.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:54 PM »

hopefully will be in there for several years until I have to replace a tire due to wear... and a lot of fun rides.

Sounds like a bit of a contradiction.

I can see that using this product makes more sense when tires last so long.
I'm a commuter rider & I average close to 2 sets of tires/year.
On my ICE bike, I change tires more frequently then oil.

I've had a couple of incidents where the tire was slashed and this product wouldn't help on those.

When I picked up my used DSR back in May, the first thing I did was install a Fobo TPM....
https://my-fobo.com/
3.5k miles later im quite pleased with it.

I recommend everyone use some sort of a TPM system.
I can't imagine these products could not be harmless to sensors but maybe I'm wrong.

Quite the opposite here.. I bought my first ICE bike 5 years ago... had only put 7K miles on it... I have factory tires in all, my other ICE motorcycle has 8K on it and the Zero 600 miles... bought it 2 month ago. So for my riding style... it should be OK.

Plus now with 3 motorcycles.. I thought about selling one, but trade in prices and used motorcycle prices are so low... I might get 60% (at best) of what i paid for the motorcycle, but nothing for the upgrades, so I don't see the point of just selling it, if I don't get a fair amount for it... I rather keep it, and take turns riding them.

So now mileage (ridden) on each will be even less per year.

Thank you for the advise.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:12:11 PM by macstructures »
Pages: 1 [2]