• April 28, 2024, 11:00:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New from Lightning Motorcycle  (Read 488 times)

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
New from Lightning Motorcycle
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:21:21 AM »

The Super Soco article page had a link to this article about a new model and a new record:

https://electricmotorcycles.news/first-test-for-lightnings-new-ls-rr-hyper-bike/
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: New from Lightning Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 04:01:57 AM »

A 23kwh battery pack?  That has got to be kind of heavy and expensive.  I am still waiting to hear more about the Lightning production model, what it costs and when it will be available.  I am also mystified how Lightning stays in business.  Kind of reminds me of Tesla - but with a lot less income from sales.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:40:29 AM »

Wouldn't you expect a 200+ MPH motorcycle to be expensive?
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:51:45 AM »

After having responded to Lightning representatives consistently at their appearances that they need to make a sport-touring version, I feel a short rhetorical statement worth repeating:

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what it'll take to get a robust production electric motorcycle meant for travel instead of a moonshot small-batch bike that's more likely to kill the owner or break than deliver usable value.

When will a company actually assemble a bike with fault-tolerant boards, a real robust frame, and put a conventional-looking but sculpted fairing on it?

And yes, I've heard it's a matter of a bunch of really impossible to wrangle vendor supply chains, unprecedented marketing, and investor confidence, but I still have to point out that the surviving batch of electric motorcycle manufacturers are running out the clock on the investor confidence front.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]