Tech > Tech Help

Optional 12 volt accessory outlet

<< < (3/3)

DonTom:

--- Quote from: ESokoloff on October 03, 2017, 05:05:06 PM ---This may be bad advice.....
--- End quote ---
I ended up running a wire from the 12 volt fuse for both my horn and outlet. I used the headlamp negative for the "ground". It works fine. I don't see why that would be bad advice.   I never did find the aux connector and I wasn't going to take the pwr tank apart looking for it when it (AFAIK) simply goes to the same fuse I used.

-Don-  Reno, NV

ESokoloff:

--- Quote from: DonTom on October 05, 2017, 01:14:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: ESokoloff on October 03, 2017, 05:05:06 PM ---This may be bad advice.....
--- End quote ---
I ended up running a wire from the 12 volt fuse for both my horn and outlet. I used the headlamp negative for the "ground". It works fine. I don't see why that would be bad advice.   I never did find the aux connector and I wasn't going to take the pwr tank apart looking for it when it (AFAIK) simply goes to the same fuse I used.

-Don-  Reno, NV

--- End quote ---

If doing what you did causes too much draw on the ground wire (additive of the two circuits), that would not be a good thing.

If the ground wire can accommodate this extra/added current safely, then "it's all good" (I usually HATE that expression but here, it's all good) ;D

ESokoloff:
One more thing......

A few weeks ago, I finally finished up my additional horn, heated grips, & SAE plug for heated gear (if need be) all powered by the Aux cuircuit.

What I did for a horn relay was to use a SPDT & ran the Aux cuircuit through the NC contacts & the horns through the NO contacts.
The relay coil is wired parallel to the existing horn so a toot of the horn kills the aux cuircuit (except for the additional horns) so as not to over draw the cuircuit.

I nestled the horns inside of the plastic Faux tank with super tenacious dbl sided 3M tape (fingers crossed), so they are out of sight.

DonTom:

--- Quote from: ESokoloff on October 07, 2017, 05:40:30 AM --- If doing what you did causes too much draw on the ground wire (additive of the two circuits), that would not be a good thing. If the ground wire can accommodate this extra/added current safely, then "it's all good" (I usually HATE that expression but here, it's all good) 
--- End quote ---
I use the negative wire for the headlamp as the ground. It Looks  thick enough to use for the things I added. And I have a LED headlamp blub in there that draws about half the current of the stock lamp.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version