• April 29, 2024, 05:06:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: DC Charging Options  (Read 6832 times)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: DC Charging Options
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »

You can easily get 11.2 kw from a Tesla station and it fits right in your tank.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »

As Terry has ably demonstrated, its no longer that hard to put together a 35kWh bike. ...

Let's not underestimate Terry's accomplishment.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 11:20:40 PM »

You can easily get 11.2 kw from a Tesla station and it fits right in your tank.

Let's not underestimate the cooling challenge of putting 3 diginow SCv2 units under the factory tank plastics.

So far everyone who's done it has required significant tank modifications for ventilation.

2 units, EC's solution is perfect, under tank area remains cool, fans exhaust hot air through the triple fork.  Third unit, still a challenge.  Ideally it would be ducted to the front as well, but so far all the installs I've seen, people are perforating the tank plastics to get the air out.

(My own 3-unit tank setup works great, but it doesn't count for this claim, I'm not trying to keep my bike looking stock, I've got an ebay CBR600R tank cover)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

As Terry has ably demonstrated, its no longer that hard to put together a 35kWh bike. ...

Let's not underestimate Terry's accomplishment.

I'm not, but Terry, and Brandon are forging the path that means the engineering is getting easier for the rest of us, for example remember the days when you had to hand solder Meanwell stacks together.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 07:56:31 PM »

The SCv2 units accept DC at their AC input . i'm not sure if they accept as high as the lowest voltage a Tesla supercharger can do but it would be cool to Dc supply our SCv2 with Tesla supercharging DC station.

In theory AC (rms) power is the same voltage as DC so let say the Ac input of a SCv2 can take up to 250VAC.. that would mean it can also take 250VDC input too...

I think the level 3 chargers usually can go as low as 200 or 250Vdc... so if someone have the interface that can talk /activate these level 3 charge stations we could  use as many SCv2 as we want up to 50kW or 135kW 8)

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 03:38:17 AM »

The SCv2 units accept DC at their AC input . i'm not sure if they accept as high as the lowest voltage a Tesla supercharger can do but it would be cool to Dc supply our SCv2 with Tesla supercharging DC station.

In theory AC (rms) power is the same voltage as DC so let say the Ac input of a SCv2 can take up to 250VAC.. that would mean it can also take 250VDC input too...

I think the level 3 chargers usually can go as low as 200 or 250Vdc... so if someone have the interface that can talk /activate these level 3 charge stations we could  use as many SCv2 as we want up to 50kW or 135kW 8)

Doc
We have tested to 350v DC with success.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 03:53:20 AM »

I'm drooling.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 04:13:54 AM »

It looks like my wallet will be in dire jeopardy in the near future.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »

Doc

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow so the rectifier caps inside are probably rated 400 or 450Vdc ?
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 02:14:27 AM »

You think Tesla uses capacitors?  : - )

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 02:17:01 AM »

I keep being surprised at places where Chademo makes sense for people.

One owner of an older Zero says that in her neighborhood, the J-plugs are always occupied and that the Chademo are available, so she would use her Zero a lot more if it had Chademo available.  Even if it was at a lower charge rate.

A New Zealander tells me that Chademo and Mennekes are the dominant connectors in his area, with Chademo being a lot more available and J-plugs being present but fairly rare.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 02:54:47 AM »

It varies pretty widely by country, but it sure does seem like Chademo is a technology in its decline, at least here in the States. I love the concept of DC charging (let's get the charger off the vehicle and into the stationary equipment, where it belongs), but it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of good options for us at the moment. Chademo would still work for us, but I think that tree was poisoned early by non-conforming equipment, and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of new installs these days either. Big, awkward connector, too.

I'd love to tap into the Tesla supercharger network, but I don't think that network is really suitable for us, since it's designed for a vehicle with 200+ mile range. It's sure impressive how much power they can push through a relatively small, manageable connector, though! I doubt Tesla would be willing to work with us on our "serious amateur" level, either.

CCS DC charging (or combined) looks like a good possibility coming up. It seems like the standards are reasonably well obeyed if not enforced, so it should be reliable station to station, seems like it would accommodate our voltage/current requirements, and it seems like installs are gaining steam here in the States...it's already common in Europe. Has anybody checked into the CCS DC protocol? My guess is it's fairly complicated, but is the protocol under license or open source?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »

Closed, based on Homeplug style ethernet over powerline

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »

Yes CHAdeMO is easier since it's a simple canbus.

I keep being surprised at places where Chademo makes sense for people.

One owner of an older Zero says that in her neighborhood, the J-plugs are always occupied and that the Chademo are available, so she would use her Zero a lot more if it had Chademo available.  Even if it was at a lower charge rate.

A New Zealander tells me that Chademo and Mennekes are the dominant connectors in his area, with Chademo being a lot more available and J-plugs being present but fairly rare.
Apart from a few super rare pre-2009 plugs that are grandfathered in you will never see J-plugs and Mennekes together.

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 11:35:13 PM »

So is there a source for the optional Chademo system Zero offered in 2013?
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7