• April 28, 2024, 03:09:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New Calsci Windshields for Zero S, SR, DS, DSR  (Read 3045 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
Re: New Calsci Windshields for Zero S, SR, DS, DSR
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 05:34:52 AM »

Windshield was $260 plus tax. $40 of that was for it being custom. If they'd have had to use a taller blank it would have been more.

I got there at 9AM, we tried a couple of radiuses, they adapted a CAD design and they were laser cuttering it by 10.  They cleaned up the edges and heated it in the oven and slumped it over a form, and I had it out the door by 11:30.
Can you post some pics? I'd like to compare it to mine, to see what has changed (position/size of the hole; mounting brackets, etc.). Also, what was customized (apologies if you mentioned that earlier and I missed it).
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 03:06:05 AM »

Uh, OK.  My use case isn't exactly standard.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 04:57:38 AM »

Uh, OK.  My use case isn't exactly standard.
Thanks!

All, FYI, at my request Shadow merged the two threads on CalSci wind screens - one was started by me, the other by Mark Lawrence.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 06:08:06 AM »

I shimmed out my fork clamps (adhesive-backed sheet rubber, https://www.amazon.com/33-P007-062-002-036-General-Durometer-Adhesive-Thickness/dp/B00P5VQ7HE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1508024846&sr=8-5&keywords=adhesive+rubber+sheet ). I put the adhesive side against the inside of the clamp, so I can move it wherever on the fork tube it wants/needs to go to position the bracket correctly. They now don't move on the fork tube at all.

It helped quite a bit. The for/aft movement is completely gone, but the shield still does rattle side-to-side a lot more than I'd like...it bangs against the mirror stalks almost constantly as I ride, the left side more than the right. This is clearly caused by the flat brackets not having enough rigidity in that plane.

Other than that, though, the shield is quite nice. It's much tighter to the front of the bike than my old Slipstreamr was, which is definitely a good thing. It looks much better on the bike and I don't get a huge reflection off of my headlight, since the shield is behind the headlight. I don't know if I got the smaller/lower vent that gyrocyclist was talking about, but I don't really notice it much at all. There's very little air movement behind the shield at freeway speeds. It doesn't cover my hands like the Slipstreamr did, but since it's mounted further back that would require pretty major changes to the shape.

I got the x-wide, x-large shield, which is probably why it hits the mirror stalks. The narrower ones might not do that. I'm not that tall, 5'11", though I do have fairly short legs (28-29" inseam), but I was surprised that I can easily see over the top of the x-tall screen, line of sight of the top of the screen being 10-15 feet ahead of me on the street. It's perfect for me, really. There's a lot less wind hitting the top of my helmet than with the Slipstreamr, though it mounts a lot closer to me (or maybe BECAUSE it mounts closer).

I've definitely decided to use it rather than the Slipstreamr. I'll probably pad the mirror stalks so they don't chip the plastic, and I'm toying with cross-bracing the brackets somehow so they don't rattle from side to side. I'll also be ordering some allen-head stainless steel attachment hardware, which I've been doing all over the bike as I work on it. Other than that, I'm a believer now. Earlier this week I wasn't happy I'd spent my money on this windshield, now I definitely am.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:10:49 AM by Doug S »
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 06:20:47 AM »

I shimmed out my fork clamps (adhesive-backed sheet rubber, https://www.amazon.com/33-P007-062-002-036-General-Durometer-Adhesive-Thickness/dp/B00P5VQ7HE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1508024846&sr=8-5&keywords=adhesive+rubber+sheet ). 
...snip...
Doug S, I posted a few minutes before or after you did, and think my post got lost. Anyway, this afternoon I slipped a couple of thicknesses of bicycle tube over the fork clamps, and there is now no slippage. The screen is definitely more solid/stable. I would like to see improved mounting brackets. Ideally I think they should be made of aluminum, and could be engineered to avoid reducing the bike's turning radius. Of course that would add to the cost, and I don't think (??) Mark works that much with aluminum. I'd design and build -- except I don't have the tools or skill set.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »

I would like to see improved mounting brackets. Ideally I think they should be made of aluminum, and could be engineered to avoid reducing the bike's turning radius. Of course that would add to the cost, and I don't think (??) Mark works that much with aluminum. I'd design and build -- except I don't have the tools or skill set.

When I was emailing with them, I asked Steven if the brackets were 3D printed or (as I suspected) laser cut out of flat stock, then heated and bent to form the tab that has the windshield attachment points. Turns out I was right. He said that he'd worked with 3D printed parts and wasn't impressed --said they had "microporosity" which made them weak. I was going to point out that the heated area on their bracket was certainly weakened -- look at it on your brackets -- but didn't bother. They're clearly in love with their laser cutter and don't want to hear about a better way of doing things.

I'm fairly seriously toying with the idea of modeling up a proper bracket in 3D, and having it printed up (I've used www.shapeways.com very successfully). Even with my very modest skills (I'm an EE, not an ME), I think it would be much more rigid, stronger (I'm not at all convinced they know the difference between strength and rigidity), and wouldn't interfere with anything. Sure, an aluminum bracket would be even better, but a proper plastic bracket should be more than adequate for this part.

It would look much better as well. I'm all about function over form, but even I'm a little embarrassed about the way the brackets they supplied look.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

marklawrence

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »

Steven has a degree in mechanical engineering from UC Davis. He knows the difference between rigidity and strength very well. His background in materials is quite strong.

Steven has built his own 3D printer. His brother Leon is working on a masters degree at U MO, specializing in 3d printing of metals and high energy laser cutting. Steven and Leon built our current laser. We're pretty clear on the strengths and weaknesses of each manufacturing method. I've used Shapeways myself. Go ahead and have them print something up for you. Good luck with those brackets. I predict they'll last less then 500 miles. You'll get a quick hands-on lesson in rigidity (very good) v. strength (lousy). And an aluminum bracket would not survive the bending process. Steel or ABS or Delron is the answer here. We chose ABS.

I have a degree in electrical engineering from Caltech. I've also taught physics and astronomy at USC. I'm the one who makes sure all our shield shapes are solutions to the LaPlace equation, thus guaranteeing they do not generate turbulence.

The bend in our ABS parts does not weaken them.

You want to bet on some company not knowing what they're doing, you would do well to find a different company to bet on.

BTW, the fasteners we sent you were 100% stainless steel. We don't stock anything else.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:52:36 AM by marklawrence »

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »

Thanks Mark!  It's good to have you in the forum.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]