• April 28, 2024, 11:08:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does the normal (stock) charging circuit require a dedicated 120V circuit?  (Read 577 times)

Snafuperman

• View Profile

How many amps does the normal (stock) charging system pull?  Does this require a dedicated circuit?

If an extension cord is necessary, does it have to be 12-gauge?  Or will 14-gauge suffice?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:01:51 PM by Snafuperman »

Doug S

• View Profile

It'll draw 12 amps plus or minus. (If your line voltage is on the HIGH side, current draw will be a little LOWER, and versa vice). 14 AWG is acceptable for 15-amp loads according to the national building code, and here as well. A 12-AWG cable will heat up a bit less, but the amount of heat generated in a 14-AWG cable isn't excessive. Where you do need to keep your eyes open is the connectors at each end of the extension cable. Just a little bit of corrosion or lack of tension on the prongs or sockets can cause a fair amount of grief, as several people have discovered.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Snafuperman

• View Profile

It'll draw 12 amps plus or minus. (If your line voltage is on the HIGH side, current draw will be a little LOWER, and versa vice). 14 AWG is acceptable for 15-amp loads according to the national building code, and here as well. A 12-AWG cable will heat up a bit less, but the amount of heat generated in a 14-AWG cable isn't excessive. Where you do need to keep your eyes open is the connectors at each end of the extension cable. Just a little bit of corrosion or lack of tension on the prongs or sockets can cause a fair amount of grief, as several people have discovered.
Thank you.

I also understand that when connecting, connect to bike first, then connect to wall socket.  When disconnecting do the reverse: disconnect from wall socket first, then disconnect from bike.  Is this correct?

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile

I also understand that when connecting, connect to bike first, then connect to wall socket.  When disconnecting do the reverse: disconnect from wall socket first, then disconnect from bike.  Is this correct?

Yes, though if the bike is fully charged and the app shows no current flowing, the disconnection order doesn't matter. It is imperative, though, that the cable be fully inserted into the bike. After removing the cable, also fully insert the cover or it might pop off.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Snafuperman

• View Profile

Yes, though if the bike is fully charged and the app shows no current flowing, the disconnection order doesn't matter. It is imperative, though, that the cable be fully inserted into the bike. After removing the cable, also fully insert the cover or it might pop off.
Thanks.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

How many amps does the normal (stock) charging system pull?  Does this require a dedicated circuit?

If an extension cord is necessary, does it have to be 12-gauge?  Or will 14-gauge suffice?

When you say "Extension Cord," are you referring to the cord that comes with the bike, or an additional cord you'd want to add to increase the length?  That is an important distinction.  The longer the cord, the heavier the gauge should be.

As for a dedicated circuit being required:  Probably not.  Depends on what else you've got going on in your garage and what it is currently wired for.  I had an additional 20 amp line run to the garage "just in case" even though it was charging just fine on the original shared circuit.  However, this worked out because I ended up buying a Quickcharger on eBay for nearly half price and now I know I have two different circuits I can safely use... one for the built in charger of the bike (that can draw up to 12 amps) and one for the quick charger that draws another 10 amps.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Snafuperman

• View Profile

When you say "Extension Cord," are you referring to the cord that comes with the bike, or an additional cord you'd want to add to increase the length?  That is an important distinction.
I assumed that the cord that comes with the bike is the proper gauge. 

The longer the cord, the heavier the gauge should be.
Yes, I understand that.  Thanks.

Richard230

• View Profile

The maximum draw that I see for my 2014S is 12.25 amps.  Each of my home120V (actually 124V) circuits have 20 amp breakers.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Snafuperman

• View Profile

The maximum draw that I see for my 2014S is 12.25 amps.  Each of my home120V (actually 124V) circuits have 20 amp breakers.
Thanks for that info.

clay.leihy

• View Profile

I routinely run my quick charger and leaf blower on the same 15A circuit.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Does the normal (stock) charging circuit require a dedicated 120V circuit?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 05:06:25 AM »

"quick charger" is the 1000 watt zero-branded quiq?

that draws less than onboard charger, which is 1300-1400 watts.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 05:46:34 AM »

If I purchase a 2017 or 2018 Zero DSR, I will be charging from a 20-amp, pretty much dedicated circuit that is 30 ft from the bike, so I will have to use a 50-ft extension cord.  I'm assuming that a 50-ft 12/3 extension cord will handle the load.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »

"quick charger" is the 1000 watt zero-branded quiq?

that draws less than onboard charger, which is 1300-1400 watts.
Maybe with your S/DS but more than the 650W on my FX.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6
Pages: [1]