• April 28, 2024, 02:44:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buyer Beware  (Read 718 times)

BrianConte

• View Profile
Buyer Beware
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »

Short Intro: I've been a Zero owner/rider for 6 years, and until recently generally happy with the bike.

But imagine: You are riding your Zero home after a dinner with friends. It's dark and you are in the middle lane of a busy freeway. Suddenly your motor just ... stops. Your bike slows down rapidly as cars and trucks whiz past you. The bike stops, dead, in the middle of the freeway. An 18-wheeler narrowly misses you and honks his horn. The only thing you can do is run the bike off to the side of the road on foot, dodging traffic in the dark.

This was my experience the other night. And it's not the first time. I have been experiencing these random cutouts now for two years. I've had the bike in service twice to fix it, at a cost of $2000, and they have not been able to fix it. They say the best they can do is try again for another $2000. I contacted the manufacturer and they won't even return my emails (I've tried 4 times in the past 4 months and only got one reply asking me to verify my serial number). I even contacted their Director of Customer Experience directly and he didn't care.

The bike is great - quiet, efficient, easy to drive. But ultimately you have to also consider the company you are buying from. Do they stand by their products? Will they be there to support you when you need them?

Cama

• View Profile
Re: Buyer Beware
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »

More details please.
ZERO SR 2016

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »

Like Terry said on the other exact same thread, this sounds like the problem we had with 2012 bikes and it hasn't happened with 2013+ to my knowledge. 

Obviously contact Zero directly about it.  Look into trading up if possible.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »

Why did you create 2 identical threads???
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 03:29:40 AM »

Sounds like my 2015 SR. 12v power, propulsion, everything would go out. Zero gave me firmware updates. Dealer(s) had the bike for almost 3 months. Finally, the fourth firmware update magically fixed it. No mention of why it was happening or what was wrong with my bike.

Then it started randomly slowing down to ~26% output while still over 50% SOC. Another few weeks in the shop fixed that (firmware update, no mentioned of what was wrong with my bike)

Then brake fluid damaged the plastics, over a month in the shop waiting for that to be replaced under warranty.

Wife's 2016 S shut down while riding it on the freeway. She's afraid to ride now. Firmware update hope fully fixed it. She's a new rider and refuses to ride now.

Latest free update broke my 2015 SOC, range and capacity size. Zero won't return my E-mails. I've asked for a refund several times and never gotten an answer. Zero definitely does not stand by their product. So sad, it's the best eBike out, unless you get a lemon.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)
Pages: [1]