• May 05, 2024, 12:02:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Eco-Mode vs. Self-Restraint  (Read 3693 times)

calamarichris

• View Profile
Eco-Mode vs. Self-Restraint
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:53 AM »

Is it possible to get the same efficiency and range in Sport Mode by taking it easy on the go-stick?

I ask because in SoCal traffic can really fluctuate. On our test ride, I was on the freeway in Eco mode, topped out at 70 in the slow lane with a car a few yards behind me. I couldn't close the throttle to make the jump to lightspeed from Eco mode, so I just had to tuck, hold the throttle wide-open and pray.

And for those of you who've done some research or testing on the subject, how do you have your custom settings and why? Or is there another thread where everyone's already revealed their custom settings?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:55:50 AM by calamarichris »
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Eco-Mode vs. Self-Restraint
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:33:14 AM »

Yes. I've been advocating it forever. I leave my bike in Sport mode, exercise some discipline, and I've done enough testing to satisfy myself that I lose no range just from being in Sport mode. And when I need to get around a truck because I've almost missed my offramp, no problem at all.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:16 AM »

Glad to hear it, thanks Doug.

Really looking forward to getting mine in a few weeks and fiddling with it.
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:42:59 AM »

In any case, you can change from one mode to another very quickly while riding.
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:53 AM »

The best way I found to maximize range is to use custom mode.

100% Max Torque
0% Max Regen
50% Max Regen Brake (100%  can get even better range but I have found it's a little aggressive for me)

From there use your wrist to control energy use just like you suggested.  Name of the game is coast as much as possible and brake as little as possible.  If you do have to brake you  can pull the lever just a little and regen will engage but disk brakes will not.  Accelerating hard isn't so bad as long as you use all the momentum you gained from the energy use (i.e. don't accelerate hard then hit the brakes hard).  You will use slightly more energy if you accelerate hard but doing it a little bit won't make a significant difference in range.  High speed kills range more than anything.  For every little bit you reduce speed you will get a huge gain in range.
2014 Zero S

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:06 AM »

The only time I use Eco Mode is for slow maneuvering around people (like at the local Cars and Coffee where I can slowly wind my way through the crowd - impossible on a gas bike) and in the wet. I had a nasty fishtail in the rain when i wasn't even accelerating that hard but Sport Mode was too much for the slick road. I've learned my lesson. Other than that it's full juice all the time - that's the reason I bought the bike. I don't really think it lessens my range that much and I don't care if it does.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »

I don't believe you can change modes when your speed is above 50mph.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:42:10 AM »

You can indeed change it, but you have to close the throttle completely.
Learned that on my first test ride.
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »

I don't believe you can change modes when your speed is above 50mph.

on 2014 SR, you have to drop to 60mph and be throttle neutral before a mode change will take.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:37:17 PM »

The best way I found to maximize range is to use custom mode.

100% Max Torque
[...]
I've noticed that the 100% Max Torque is a bad idea for me if I want to maximize range.
WAAAAY to much fun twisting the throttle.

I'd need a 5 year secluded training in Zen Buddhism at monastery in Nepal before I'll have the necessary discipline to go easy on the throttle with a Zero

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:52:28 PM »

There is discussion of this in several different threads.  Lots of people, including me, use 100% torque, 0% coasting regen, 100% brake regen and no limit on max speed.

100% torque - max fun and ability to accelerate out of a situation, if needed
0% coasting regen - coasting is more efficient than regen
100% brake regen - regen is more efficient than friction brakes ; also saves wear on brake pads
max speed - no limit to prevent situation as described in OP

These custom settings will be more efficient as long as you go easy on the throttle.

I never use sport mode and only use eco when I want to limit torque in slippery situations.  It's quicker to switch to eco than it is to open up the app and change the custom torque.  I wish we could change the settings for the other two modes.  I'd make eco with 0% coasting regen and max speed - just limiting the torque.  Some people use the custom setting to limit top speed for a pseudo cruise control.  I don't do this because I never go on long rides at constant speed and prefer to have the extra reserve if I need it.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »

There is discussion of this in several different threads.  Lots of people, including me, use 100% torque, 0% coasting regen, 100% brake regen and no limit on max speed.

100% torque - max fun and ability to accelerate out of a situation, if needed
0% coasting regen - coasting is more efficient than regen
100% brake regen - regen is more efficient than friction brakes ; also saves wear on brake pads
max speed - no limit to prevent situation as described in OP

These custom settings will be more efficient as long as you go easy on the throttle.

I never use sport mode and only use eco when I want to limit torque in slippery situations.  It's quicker to switch to eco than it is to open up the app and change the custom torque.  I wish we could change the settings for the other two modes.  I'd make eco with 0% coasting regen and max speed - just limiting the torque.  Some people use the custom setting to limit top speed for a pseudo cruise control.  I don't do this because I never go on long rides at constant speed and prefer to have the extra reserve if I need it.

That is the way I have my custom mode set.  Yesterday I rode 105 miles on 75% of my battery capacity at speeds that varied between 40 and 60 mph, with a lot of up and down riding in the Santa Cruz Mountains and along the Coast Highway.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »

My custom mode used 100% regen at all times.  I can ride the twisties and hardly ever touch the brakes.  I like the fact that I'm not scrubbing off kinetic energy by turning it into heat and black dust, but rather putting the unused energy back into the battery so it can be used later.

Did you know that regen only kicks in when you roll the throttle forward to the stop?  If you don't, the bike will coast without regen so you don't have to get that deceleration if you don't want it.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

originalspacerob

• View Profile
Eco-Mode vs. Self-Restraint
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »

Ive ridden home from work in Sport mode and can average the same range being light on the throttle. Its a little more work because it is more touchy. What I have been doing is using custom mode to give me a little more excelleration, more coasting on regen but full max speed if needed. That seems to work well in situations like your talking about

Settings are
Max speed:104
Torque: 40%
Regen: 66%
Regen brake 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:59:01 PM by originalspacerob »
First Electric Motorcycle, 2017 ZERO DSR
2004 R1150GS ADV
1980 GS550
2008 XR650L, CRF front forks and Wilbers Rear Shock
2001 Ural Patrol
2006 TTR230

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:17 AM »

My custom mode used 100% regen at all times.  I can ride the twisties and hardly ever touch the brakes.  I like the fact that I'm not scrubbing off kinetic energy by turning it into heat and black dust, but rather putting the unused energy back into the battery so it can be used later.

Did you know that regen only kicks in when you roll the throttle forward to the stop?  If you don't, the bike will coast without regen so you don't have to get that deceleration if you don't want it.

That's really cool and I'm glad to hear it! I was wondering about the wiggle-room on the throttle to engage the regen, but you put it into words more elegantly than I could.
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)
Pages: [1] 2 3