• May 04, 2024, 05:16:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: What do we want for 2019?  (Read 14889 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
What do we want for 2019?
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:31:46 PM »

I figure that with Zero it is never too early to start moaning about what we would like to see in the way of their future models. (Although my guess is that they likely already have the 2019 models pretty much worked out by now.)  Anyway, I'll start my modest list:

1. I am still looking for a softer seat.
2. I would like to see a larger chassis that would offer more battery storage room, more room for passenger comfort and mounting luggage.
3. A change in the styling and a return to shiny paint.
4. A more streamlined front end, or at least a model with a 1/4 or 1/2 fairing, such is offered by most Japanese manufacturers.
5. It is probably time for Zero to introduce a cruiser design as that market appears to be pretty much wide open.
6. Real firmware updates via smart phone, as is currently advertised in their product description, but not currently available.
7. A longer tire hugger that would do a better job of keeping gorp off of the shock assembly and the controller.
8. Factory installation of the "rain guard", or something similar, to keep road gorp from being flung on to passengers.
9. Improved factory spare parts stocking and more rapid shipping after receiving customer or shop repair orders from their retail dealers.
10. Finally (for the moment) I think it about time for a new TFT color instrument display, which is rapidly becoming the standard in the motorcycle industry.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shocker

• View Profile
Re: What do we want for 2019?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »

Looking to jump into an electric bike this spring and at first glance I thought Zero was the ticket but because Zero hasn’t addresses some of these wish list items already I’m a little reluctant. I can see from this forum most of these wish list items have been desired for years with no change. Is my take on this correct or am I being unfair to a relatively young company? 🧐

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:50:31 PM »

What people will and won't buy is highly personal and no doubt the subject of intense research by the manufacturers.
With the longer range and new charge tank in the 2018 SR, Zero finally makes a moto I'm willing to buy, despite the crazy high price. For others, the threshold is different.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:55:09 PM by heroto »

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:29:44 AM »

Read this. We need more riders not more features. http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/News-Story/advocating-for-motorcyclings-future

Scott Harden...is well known as a brand builder, team manager, sales professional and product planner with such companies as Husqvarna, KTM, BMW and Zero Motorcycles.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:35:20 AM by Keith »
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 02:53:26 AM »

Ha ha.  I thought about posting a thread for this the day after the 2018s were announced, but I showed a little restraint  8)

My primary list is short:

1.  Ability to program three rider modes instead of just custom.
2.  Progressive regen.

Another thing I'd like to see in the future:

3.  Poor man's traction control - a defeatable option that limits spinup of the back wheel

Then there's the obvious:

4.  More range
5.  Lower cost

And the hopeful:

6.  Firmware updates that don't break the bikes
7.  A change log for firmware updates
8.  Better dealer network and responsiveness to issues
9.  Less performance surprises, e.g. current limiting in cold weather
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 02:53:40 AM »

Right.  Keep them practical and affordable.  A lot of the things people have on their wish lists would blast the MSRP up into "Lightning" or "Energica" levels.

It would be nice if Zero developed some accessories that we could add at extra cost, but I'd leave the base bike alone and just work on refinements.  The 2018 Charge Tank is a HUGE improvement in my eyes.  Hollywood Electrics is working on a frame-mounted sport touring fairing that should be available "Real Soon Now."

Corbin makes replacement saddles, and there are several custom saddle makers out there that would be more than happy to take your stock seat pan and build your ideal saddle.

Just keep evolving the battery and motor technology.  Everything else will fall into place on its own.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:53:50 AM »

I think Zero is doing the best that they can, considering their financial resources and the state of the electric motorcycle market, which is pretty limp compared with trying to sell any other electric vehicle, thanks to the very conservative nature of most motorcycle buyers.  But that doesn't mean we can't dream about the future and give Zero some hints regarding what their customers would like to see them introduce some day should they get another big infusion of cash.  ;) 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:55:09 AM »

Since it was asked again, I will answer again; Cruise Control

Cama

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:01 AM »

Cruise control is my favorite, too.
ZERO SR 2016

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:00:51 AM »

I know that it was mentioned above, but traction control (like the BMW C-Evolution has) would be a very nice addition.  More than once, I have had my rear wheel spin on damp pavement, or when riding over a painted line or manhole, and cause the rear wheel to step out and the entire bike shake violently for a second or two.  Kind of scary and I don't even have an SR, which really must suffer this issue.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:04 AM »

From what I read, I would think reliability would be the top item.  I have heard reasons people do not buy a zero is due to reliability issues. Based on the numbers in the spec sheet the bikes look good. They don't want a project bike. 

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »

I know that it was mentioned above, but traction control (like the BMW C-Evolution has) would be a very nice addition.  More than once, I have had my rear wheel spin on damp pavement, or when riding over a painted line or manhole, and cause the rear wheel to step out and the entire bike shake violently for a second or two.  Kind of scary and I don't even have an SR, which really must suffer this issue.

Isnt your 2018 S technically as powerful as an SR, with the same 600AMP motor?

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

Nothing that will add any weight or complexity to the bike, only a retrofittable sport-touring fairing.
Preferably one made as truly aerodynamic as possible, instead of resembling the latest origami stealth-bomber graphics.

And I must respectfully disagree with cruise control, as these are not really interstate bikes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:44:34 AM by calamarichris »
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »

Same experience on my 2017 SR.
Even lowsided it once.  :(   ... still have the footage from my helmcam  ;)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »

Having nearly a million miles under my belt I have never ever seen the need for traction control on a street motorcycle.  ABS yes... but traction control?  You have all the traction control you need in your right wrist if you know how to use it.  Learn how to "read the road."  If anything looks shiny or wet up ahead then back off the throttle.  It is THAT simple.  If Zero is going to add any technology to their bikes, I'd rather it be something USEFUL.

Some of those things include:

Vectrix-like regen (proportional to roll-off).
Aerodynamics (to reduce wind resistance)
Faster charge times
Brighter colors (like the good old days)
A shop manual!!!!
Better dealer network
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11