• April 27, 2024, 09:45:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: It's getting old  (Read 2252 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: It's getting old
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 07:21:14 AM »

Latest: They want to ship it up to Scotts Valley to rebuild the monolith, after the dealer has replaced the MBB, the DC-DC converter, and the BMS. It's clearly a case of "replace everything until it works" at this point. I've told the shop to hold off until Zero confirms that they're going to ship the bike and perform the work under warranty and at their expense, since the monolith was rebuilt by them less than a year ago. Of course, they can't confirm anything until Tuesday, since the factory is closed this weekend and the dealership is closed on Monday.

@Ashveratu and Gborgan: My bike had no major expenses at 10k, either (though the rear shock was about to fail for the first time). But 10k doesn't qualify as 'reliable'. The automotive standard has long been 100k miles before major expenses, and honestly, that's pretty easy these days. Again, I realize it's a young company and a non-mature technology. It still hurts to get bitten, and I (an EE, remember, with some insight into the industry) remain convinced that far better can be achieved with the technology of the day. That's why the hardware and firmware failures are so unforgivable.

But I agree with Burton. My first and still main instinct is to ride the bike until it can't be ridden any more, in the name of beta-testing if nothing else. Zero needs to learn what makes their bikes less reliable in the high-mileage cases, and that can only be done in the field, probably by customers. In addition, I do believe that fixing the old stuff is almost always cheaper than buying new stuff, so that's what I"m going to pursue. When I'm convinced there's not a nickel's worth of value in the bike, I'll be comfortable disposing of it and getting a new one, or maybe it'll be time to retire from motorcycling entirely.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »

Burton and Doug I would love to see you guys who really ride a lot of miles sell your bike to a newbie to the electric world who will probably do an average amount of riding and let you guys who really pile on the miles get the latest technology.  The new longbrick bikes have a lighter and simpler monolith as there is only one parallel connection instead of 3, and 4 less cell box side plates.  Heck you guys are still riding on the fast ace suspension I think, right?  You can carry a lot more weight on the new suspension and it still feels nicer.  Worth it alone if you guys take heavy things or passengers like I heard you say Burton.

I like wearing things out too.  I'll have to take a picture of my Alpinestar boots that I've worn everyday for 4 years now.  I've had to add hot glue to the soles many times as the hole in the ground let the pavement wear holes in my socks a few times.  I'd order new ones but Alpinestars discontinued the model and I just like them so much. 

But I am totally recommending both you guys try to make it through to early fall if you can, but then be the first to get a 2019 so you both can have the most battery to get through the winter.  Although if you get frustrated before then, of course get a 2018 14.4 SR which you can't go wrong there compared to what you have now.  But I respect how much you've put those old 2013 and 2014 bikes through.  I did it on a 2012 so I know.  But after riding my 2015 with ABS and better suspension, plus not replacing wheel bearings all the time, it was time to retire the old Zero 3 years ago.  Now mine was a year older than yours Burton, but you've kept yours going 2 years longer.  You guys are definitely due and have earned getting a new bike and enjoying every ride that much more.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:25:45 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 01:51:10 AM »

I like wearing things out too.  I'll have to take a picture of my Alpinestar boots that I've worn everyday for 4 years now.  I've had to add hot glue to the soles many times as the hole in the ground let the pavement wear holes in my socks a few times.  I'd order new ones but Alpinestars discontinued the model and I just like them so much. 
A shoemaker should be able to resole your boots, then you're good to go again for a few years.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 05:06:48 AM »

A shoemaker should be able to resole your boots, then you're good to go again for a few years.

If you can find a shoemaker that will resole a pair of motorcycle boots.  The local shop, owned by a Mexican, will not resole my motorcycle boots. He says he will only work on Western-style "cowboy" boots.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »

Burton and Doug I would love to see you guys who really ride a lot of miles sell your bike to a newbie to the electric world who will probably do an average amount of riding and let you guys who really pile on the miles get the latest technology.  The new longbrick bikes have a lighter and simpler monolith as there is only one parallel connection instead of 3, and 4 less cell box side plates.  Heck you guys are still riding on the fast ace suspension I think, right?  You can carry a lot more weight on the new suspension and it still feels nicer.  Worth it alone if you guys take heavy things or passengers like I heard you say Burton.

But I am totally recommending both you guys try to make it through to early fall if you can, but then be the first to get a 2019 so you both can have the most battery to get through the winter.  Although if you get frustrated before then, of course get a 2018 14.4 SR which you can't go wrong there compared to what you have now.  But I respect how much you've put those old 2013 and 2014 bikes through.  I did it on a 2012 so I know.  But after riding my 2015 with ABS and better suspension, plus not replacing wheel bearings all the time, it was time to retire the old Zero 3 years ago.  Now mine was a year older than yours Burton, but you've kept yours going 2 years longer.  You guys are definitely due and have earned getting a new bike and enjoying every ride that much more.

Are you sure you're not on a sales commission Terry? ;-) I have to admire your positive attitude, despite the fact that you've obviously suffered many of the reliability issues that have plagued the rest of us.  You're making me think again about getting a 2018SR!

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:38 PM »

I'm definitely thinking about it, Terry. Part of the problem is that I have to get the bike fixed anyhow, since a bike that's not running is essentially worthless, and then I have my bike back and the pain subsides. Of course, there's always something else to do with the money, as well.

It is very tempting, though at this point I'm only running Fast Ace on the front, I have ceramic bearings in my wheels, Corbin seat, handgrips that I like, LED lights that I like, giant trunk that I like, etc. It's like an old pair of shoes...part of what I like about it at this point is its quirks.

But more torque, more range, possibly stock fast charging (sorry to break up by text!), better suspension (at least in front), pretty much upgraded everything. Best of all, a decent front brake would be extremely welcome, though the Brembo pads have helped a lot. A new warranty isn't a bad selling point to me either.

Maybe next year they'll bring back the red bodywork. I have Zero (sorry) interest in the white.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »

Maybe next year they'll bring back the red bodywork. I have Zero (sorry) interest in the white.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to find the current palette "boring."
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 12:06:41 AM »

Heh. I just got a 2018 SR and sprung an extra $500 for the red fenders and tank cover. Am wondering which color to paint the original white bodywork.

What kind of LED lights do you have, Doug and where did you get them?

And do you have the part number or a link to a source of the Brembo pads?
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:13 AM »

I got the LED headlight bulb off of Amazon, but it's been discontinued. A friend at work gave me access to some LED bulbs he'd bought in bulk; a few of them worked in my tail light and turn signals. Couldn't give you a part number or source for those. Do a search here, it's been discussed a fair amount. The turn signal housings are pretty small so make sure you don't get a long bulb like some of the LED units are.

The Brembo pads (front only) are part number 07KA17.05 . I could only find them on ebay, and only abroad (Italy IIRC), but they arrived fine, mounted up and have been working fine. Which reminds me I need to get another set so I don't have to wait so long for them next time I need to replace them.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »

My personal opinion is that Zero has some serious problems with its culture.  It's not necessarily that specific individuals are bad people, but they end up doing bad things as a result of the environment they find themselves in.  It is absolutely ripe for one of those corporate fixers to go in and shake things up a bit.  They simply need to adopt higher standards throughout.  Reply to emails, test their products thoroughly and so on. Easier said than done of course...

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 07:53:09 AM »

Update: My bike is currently in my carport, charging up. I rode it home from the dealer a couple of hours ago.

It's been 8-1/2 weeks since it failed on the freeway. Sixty-one days ago by actual count.

On the plus side, Zero "good-willed" everything! I didn't get charged a dime, for parts, labor or shipping the bike to/from Scotts Valley. That was pretty cool of them.

But they shouldn't have had to do that. I take the fact that they did it as an acknowledgement that they really screwed the pooch. It's also true that in California, if you request the replaced parts back (as I did), the shop is required by law to give them back to you...but not if you're not charged for them. I didn't get anything back. Did they not want me to see the "failed" BMS, MBB and other assorted parts?

I'd actually be willing to forgive and forget, free repairs, early adoptership and all, but for the last thing the shop manager said to me. He said that Zero thought "the aftermarket charger" (a Diginow V2)  was responsible for the problem, destroying the BMS which took out everything else. I had intended to keep my tongue in my head, but I couldn't restrain the "That's f___ing bulls__t!" that came out of my mouth at that point. The charger is in no way connected to the BMS, by CAN bus or any other way (which could in no way destroy electronics anyhow), except that they're both connected to the battery pack. How could the charger kill the BMS without destroying the battery? It can't.Their system failed, and that happens, but they tried to blame someone else. That's not acceptable.

Grow up, Zero. Your product failed, which products do from time to time. The ONLY way to handle that is to get it repaired, make the customer happy, and move on. Taking 61 days to repair it, then blaming someone else, really isn't very impressive.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »

SCv2 control module appears to have a connection to aux charge enable signal from an arduino serial +5Vdc. Where does that go, to the MBB? Is it isolated?
Pages: 1 [2]