• April 28, 2024, 01:57:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 2011 XU died on me  (Read 4987 times)

pinaz

• View Profile
Re: 2011 XU died on me
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »

I felt that I owed a post to update on status.

Zero is definitely showing signs of wanting to find a solution.  I was impressed to actually get a phone call asking about status.  I think they may be preoccupied with the MY2013 launch, but things are moving in a more positive direction than they were a week or so ago.

I'm hopeful that the intermittent problem with the bike can get resolved.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »

That is great to hear, Pinaz.  Best of luck and I hope Zero comes through for you.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 12:57:14 AM »

Keep us updated on the status.  I don't know the 2011's too well but I'm hoping the throttle assembly fixes it for you.  And having recently met Richard Kenton in person at Zero, I can tell you he is a great guy and very dedicated to Zero's customers.  How far are you from a dealer that could pull the fault codes from the Main Bike Board?  If the throttle doesn't fix it, I would definitely shoot to do that next, but I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping that works!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

pinaz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »

How far are you from a dealer that could pull the fault codes from the Main Bike Board?  If the throttle doesn't fix it, I would definitely shoot to do that next

I was able to get the 'fault code' information pulled, and it is not the throttle.  The event time corresponds with the most recent failure.  However, I'm still waiting on someone "in the know" at Zero to explain what it means.  Apparently, only the MBB engineers can provide that input.

I could go into a diatribe about the need to document these things (particularly since the MBB is a "middleman" for everything on the bike), but I don't think it would accomplish much.  Alas, I just have to have some faith that:
a) the customer service folks will (given enough time) get the relevant information, and
b) if I get stranded again, it won't be in a dangerous traffic situation and I won't have to push the bike all the way home again

Mattbastard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 08:54:20 PM »

I know this posting is over 4 years old but it's applicable to my situation and I'd like the archives of the internet to hear my words for other people's reference.

My 2011 XU has been acting similarly.  I bought it cheap recently because the PO said it had a dead battery and wouldn't take a charge.  This was entirely true, but I don't think it was because the battery was bad.  You'd turn the key on and all the 12 VDC stuff would work but the battery gauge would flash with two bars, the red hazard light would randomly flash (even with the kick stand up), and the BMS would randomly beep.  Nothing consistent would happen out of the whole bike other than acting weird once you turn the key on and never move.  Once I got it in my garage I ripped the battery pack apart, then for SnG's I laid the pack back in the bike with BMS hooked up but hanging off the side, hooked it up and by some miracle everything was systems go!  Battery showed half life, no weird flashing or beeping, and a slight roll on the throttle would creep the bike forward.  Except, after a few times cycling this the hazard light started flashing weird again.  No extra beeps, just flashing weird with no sequence. 

Long story short, that stock BMS and MBB are crap and makes sense why Zero wanted all the older bikes off the road.  When I talked to the local Zero dealer here in SD and told him I have a 2011 XU he seemed shocked one was still on the road, and working none the less.  Turns out Zero's buyback incentive was aimed at getting all their bad engineering off the streets.  Well, mine's on the street and gutted from all that "bad engineering". 

Leroysparky

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 04:20:29 AM »

That is great! I just got a 2011 XU as well and it had a "bad battery" as well reading, with zero volts but I was able to trickle charge it and get it to work. But it would only take me about 6 miles and then die. So I switched out the battery with one I made but I messed up when I hooked up the BMS. I some how didn't see that I started on the + side and put all the BMS leads back wards and fried the BMS.

So I was wondering what parts you have used for the replacement of the "bad engineering" Zero parts?

Thank you

Mattbastard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »

That is great! I just got a 2011 XU as well and it had a "bad battery" as well reading, with zero volts but I was able to trickle charge it and get it to work. But it would only take me about 6 miles and then die. So I switched out the battery with one I made but I messed up when I hooked up the BMS. I some how didn't see that I started on the + side and put all the BMS leads back wards and fried the BMS.

So I was wondering what parts you have used for the replacement of the "bad engineering" Zero parts?

Thank you

I actually just got back from testing out a new GPS speedometer I installed.  Tearing out the MBB, I lost the speedo and "fuel gauge".  My fix is the GPS speedo and a volt meter on the dash.  I know that 58V is full and 42V is empty. 

Basically, tear out all the MBB, BMS, and controller while you're at it.  That controller is shit too.  Get an Alltrax SR48300.  Programmable, and it bolts right into the same place.  Wiring is as easy as the DIY electric bike, except for the DC-DC converter which I ran the control wire through the ignition key (along with the solenoid) so when I flip the key on the solenoid closes and 12VDC powers up. 

Lemme know if you got any questions or want pics.  I'd prefer to email pics as Photobucket blows. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]