• April 28, 2024, 05:17:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: decrease Performance and Speed via motor controller  (Read 450 times)

Angemon

• View Profile
decrease Performance and Speed via motor controller
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »

Hello guys,

I have got a Zero FXS ZF6.5 (11 KW).
For a German "moped insurance plate" (Perfomance <4 KW and max. speed <45 Km/h) is a reduction of the performance necessary.
Is it possible to reduce the voltage or current via software (or a simply electrical component e.g. sensor) of the motor controller for the mode ECO and SPORT?
I need a type testing / certification according to StVZO, ECE regulations (Economic Commission for Europe), and EC directives to comply the insurance and StVZO regulation due the Association for Technical Inspection. So it may not be possible to cheat the software during the inspection.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:57:49 PM by Angemon »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: decrease Performance and Speed via motor controller
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »

The best thing to do is vote out your regulations loving leaders and ride that thing like you stole it.

That thing costs what it does because it isn't a scooter.  If your just going to drop it for inspection and then turn it back up you'd get caught going faster and they might chop something off (of you).
I don't mean to jump on you but most of us are trying to go faster so limiting it isn't something I've heard of.
Do you really want a (US) $10,000 scooter?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 07:59:19 PM »

My recollection is that Zero announced a new 2018 model just for Europe that neutered the power output to conform with EU regulations for people learning to ride motorcycles (or for some other reason, such as a lower insurance rate). So there might be some sort of firmware download that might accomplish reducing the power, but my guess is that without Zero's formal cooperation, the EU guys aren't going to buy it. 

I think you had better resign yourself to just buying an EU-approved moped and save the Zero for when you outgrow the -ped and want to go faster than 45 Km/h. If I know anything about Germans, they are not going to bend the law for you.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »

You can hard limit most settings on the bike but YOU yourself will have a hard time doing it and proving it.

It would require a competent  (I would say "very" here as it seem most dealers have no clue about these bikes and most would call them 'competent') dealer who has the right tools and experience to hard limit your bike at the controller and MBB ...

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 03:46:26 AM »

May I ask why you'd want to limit power in order to have it comply with the AM class? I'm from Germany myself and can't see any obvious reason for that. Even if you lose your driving licence you can't drive a scooter here any more (which I think you can in some US states?). You'd have to tune it down to 25kmh to fit into the "Mofa/Leichtkraftrad" category where you could drive without a licence.

The tax is 0€ for ten years after the purchase anyway and since I pay 10€/month for insurance (22 y.o., motorcycle licence for not even two years, high risk insurance area etc --> you get the point) it can't be that either. Electricity is (relatively to gasoline) cheap anyway. So what on earth would make you limit an extremely expensive motorcycle to 45kmh?
Pages: [1]