• April 29, 2024, 02:53:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My DigiNow SC2.5 Installation  (Read 2599 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: My DigiNow SC2.5 Installation
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 12:03:14 AM »

Ashnazg way to go man!  Nice job and thanks for sharing to help others with the install.

MVetter so with the bike off and unpluged of course is there any dangers to safety for a novice digging around in there (following instructions of course)?
Also is there an option to still use the 110 side plug if someone just wants to replace their onboard charger with a 3.3 unit?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:27:55 AM by NEW2elec »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 03:33:38 AM »

The area you must be most careful is attaching the ring lugs to the controller. Please make sure the bike has been turned off for at least 20 minutes to minimize the chance of there still being zappy juice in there. Between Brandon, Terry, me, and others in our immediate circle I remain the only one who has not shocked himself working on these bikes so far but I'm sure it's coming eventually. I suggest a socket wrench so you minimize chance of shorting any terminals against each other.

The other thing is I am informed the controller has soft metal inside, so only tighten things down to about 8-10 ft lbs of torque. Snug, but don't treat it like a tire lug nut or anything.

We strongly urge people to remove that inlet. It's dangerous. We've had 2 create arc flashes and one literally ejected itself at high speeds into the shop wall. If you need to plug into walls we have adapters for everything.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 05:58:36 AM »

We strongly urge people to remove that inlet. It's dangerous. We've had 2 create arc flashes and one literally ejected itself at high speeds into the shop wall. If you need to plug into walls we have adapters for everything.

Which inlet do you mean?  The leftover brown one that the stock charger was connected to?
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 07:10:19 AM »

Nah the 110 stock 3 prong inlet on the side on the bike.  I saw Newzeroland remove it but I was kind of hoping that part could stay and work with the 3.3 unit.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »

Nah the 110 stock 3 prong inlet on the side on the bike.  I saw Newzeroland remove it but I was kind of hoping that part could stay and work with the 3.3 unit.

The onboard C14 inlet not really properly rated for the weather conditions, only barely rated for the current draw of the onboard charger, and absolutely not rated for the 3.3 unit.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »

Yeah it couldn't pull 3.3kw but the V2.5 can adjust to the 1.3 wall supply right? 
I get that the C14 isn't the best way to connect but I was thinking ahead for, if or when, my onboard dies.  I was looking at or hoping to replace the onboard with the 3.3 since it would be a better move than another Greenwatt.  After looking at the V2.5 I see it couldn't just be placed under the current pan any way so the whole belly pan setup would be needed.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 02:01:17 AM »

Yeah it couldn't pull 3.3kw but the V2.5 can adjust to the 1.3 wall supply right? 
I get that the C14 isn't the best way to connect but I was thinking ahead for, if or when, my onboard dies.  I was looking at or hoping to replace the onboard with the 3.3 since it would be a better move than another Greenwatt.  After looking at the V2.5 I see it couldn't just be placed under the current pan any way so the whole belly pan setup would be needed.

That C14 inlet is just going to give you trouble. It's not constructed well (having had a few people with professional electrical assess mine and others') and will produce the same overheating and contribute to arcing problems that plague the OEM charger.

Keep it and whatever plugs into it clean, and ensure the prongs stay straight, and use an overrated (15A) hospital grade cord to supply power. But I did all that and my onboard charger still failed.

I wish I had a better answer, but the frame opening is specific to that kind of inlet so can't accommodate a C19, say.
Pages: 1 [2]