• April 29, 2024, 07:21:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero Firmware history documents  (Read 2784 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Zero Firmware history documents
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 02:45:24 AM »

It don't understand how it's even legal to issue any firmware upgrade without filing the image itself, verified by checksum &  detailed change log with the DoT.
Since firmware controls so many aspects of vehicle behavior, including many safety issues, any other procedure makes it too easy to issue malicious updates by 3d parties, and very difficult in investigate safety problems that may be related to firmware.
Just as it isn't legal in most cases to change a model's HW by the manufacturer without some kind of re-certification procedure (at least not in my jurisdiction), it should be the same for firmware.

I never ever install any software update on anything without a detailed change log -- as a SW professional for 40 years, I know very well that any change can introduce just as many bugs as it fixes, so if an update doesn't fix something relevant to me, the risk isn't worth it.
At least for a general-purpose operating system or application upgrade, it's not a life and death matter... It certainly is on a vehicle.

Wavelet,

thanks for posting that, That is EXACTLY the point i wanted to highlight about these famous firmware update

Btw personally for every system that does not connect to the web or any wireless acces, i have NEVER make any FW update
from now and these all work 100% fine including my old  XP mini pc  that i use DVT customer to program the Sevcon controller.  Often firmware and other updates are required for protection for virus etc.. but if your system is not connected to ve vulnerable to  these  malicious things.. you dont have to do these....
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »

As a programmer, i know that software is software and you always find some bugs that should be fixed or find that you have to improve some processes. Why should that stop wiith an electric motorcycle? When they find out that they can/should improve a process that keeps the Battery more save or better balanced or whatever, im happy to get that for my bike too.

Where i agree to 100% is, that zero HAVE TO GIVE US A CHANGELOG. This is key! That does not have to be hyper detailed, but we should know what kind of processes they touched and what for.

By the way: The newest formware (I updated last Friday 11.05.18) pumped up my regen in custom mode (alredy set to 50%/100%) very noticable what i like very much! If they would publish that, a lot more people would make an update, win/win.. :)

ride save
  • 200km with one charge (was too easy)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 500km in a day (550+km)
  • 600km in a day
    driven in [5] out of 6 nearby countries

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 07:10:45 AM »

FYI Zero now publishes this information at least in a cursory way, and includes historical revisions:
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/firmware/
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2]