• June 16, 2024, 11:53:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Suggestions for an off board fast charger  (Read 9638 times)

sharagan

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for an off board fast charger
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2021, 10:54:27 PM »

Looks great!

Thanks for the photos :)

FXS and the Alps has to be the best combination I can imagine :D

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2021, 06:01:35 AM »

Hello. Sorry, I was too busy these days and I did not read my messages.

I abandoned the idea of ??carrying the charger in a foam cocoon inside the topcase. Probably if I had time to reconsider the problem I would attach it more securely to the topcase.

Anyway, I am now carrying it in a tank bag and it is fine.
I just have taken 4 pictures of the tank bag mounting. I added them to my previous set of pictures :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RdcLtzjxqsYhoVyz7
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2021, 07:18:09 AM »

Thank you for the pictures! :)

The tank bag came yesterday and I am just positioning it, at first the plastic fasteners on the back were at the edge of the seat.
They were directly under my leg, but after a little bit of playing around I found a spot, which is ok for me.

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »

I did two walks in the Alps this week, 110 km and 113 km, starting at an altitude of 400m and arriving at 1750m (Chamrousse) and 1370 (Alpe du Grand Serre). On arrival I had around 9% battery left. I'm so satisfied with my FXS, great motorcycle !
I also did some travel in the Alps. In order to plan with good precision my consumption, I have made a spreadsheet that enables me to predict my SOC with good precision. I print it and put it under the plastic screen of the tank bag (with the location of the charging possibilities...). It gives me some indication. For instance, I know that at a given point, I predicted to get a given SOC. If I make a little better, I can go faster for the rest of the trip. If I make a little worse, I must slow down to respect my predictions. It is very helpful. I made a post in French here. If people are interested, I can make an English translation. I attach my French spreadsheet. You can also get some examples specific to my trips here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 06:29:31 PM by gt13013 »
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

umrath

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2022, 05:45:40 PM »

Sorry for digging up such an old topic, but my question is very much related:

1. Did anyone find a way to fix one or two chargers to the bike or replace the onboard charger? Of is everyone strapping it to the tank area?
2. How fast can you actually charge an FX with a 7,2 kWh battery? Is it realistisch to use a 2 x 3,3 kW (maybe + onboard charger) setup?
3. Anyone running a Typ2-charging solution without Schuko-Adapter or something alike?

I would consider a 2022 FX if I would manage to get 6,6+ kW charging.
Zero SR/F Premium
(looking for a more offroad and touring capable solution)

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2022, 01:26:50 AM »

I assume you will not be able to charge it with 2x3,3kw. One of them has a 32A output and the battery has 57Ah, therefore the 64A would exceed the 1C rating and the result would be probably a hard disconnect of the contactor and an entry in the error log and there goes the warranty. This is all just my untested speculation given the available information.

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2022, 04:01:37 AM »

I assume you will not be able to charge it with 2x3,3kw. One of them has a 32A output and the battery has 57Ah, therefore the 64A would exceed the 1C rating and the result would be probably a hard disconnect of the contactor and an entry in the error log

That's correct, and that's why the OEM Charge Tank is only 6KW (50A).

2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

umrath

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2022, 02:11:07 PM »

There is a charge tank for the FX?
Zero SR/F Premium
(looking for a more offroad and touring capable solution)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »

He means for the 7.2 S/DS. There's a warning in the manual about not using the on board charger when using the charge tank, which to me implies that it would actually work but voids the warranty.

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »

2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2022, 04:56:27 PM »

.......... which to me implies that it would actually work but voids the warranty.

It shouldn't. Why something that can be done easily by an operator error should void the warranty?
The BMS would disconnect the battery from the chargers and no harm will be done.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2022, 06:38:55 PM »

You're right, I looked it up in the manual again and it says an error code will be displayed and the bike won't charge at the expected rate (don't know if that means it won't charge at all, or if it will just default to either the OBC or charge tank). I wouldn't say it's easily done though, you won't find many level 2 chargers with a mains socket right next to them. Also I know there are people that charge at a rate greater than 1C, makes me wonder how they manage that if the BMS is supposed to prevent it.

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2022, 07:57:44 PM »

...... I know there are people that charge at a rate greater than 1C, makes me wonder how they manage that if the BMS is supposed to prevent it.

It can be done, but the bike will log that, and it definitely voids the warranty.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2022, 03:02:02 AM »

Also I know there are people that charge at a rate greater than 1C, makes me wonder how they manage that if the BMS is supposed to prevent it.

Manual override on the contactor.

sharagan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2022, 09:28:59 PM »

what about the following scenario?

3.3 kw charger + 1.8 kw charger over Y cable to aux port and the 700w internal charger = 5.8kw (54A)

This should be below the 1C limit as the 7.2kwh battery has 57Ah on the FX/FXS/FXE and for the 7.2Kwh S models a 6Kw charge tank is ok per the manual.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5