• April 29, 2024, 06:55:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: App Won't Recognize Bike  (Read 1574 times)

caza

• View Profile
App Won't Recognize Bike
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »

Hey guys.

Just bought a used 2015 Zero SR

Really happy with it, it's my first bike, and it's great. But I can't connect to the app, which means I can't set my own custom mode.

On my iOS device I can pair with the bike just fine, but it doesn't appear as ZeroMotorcyclesABCDE, it appears as RN-IAP-1CA1. None of which has anything to do with my VIN.

On Android the bike seems to show up in pairing mode, but I'm not supposed to pair it through bluetooth settings, just the app. The app is constantly putting itself into demo mode. When taken off of demo mode it has says "trying to autoconnect" as if it has already been paired with the bike, but will not connect. and will not find the bike with a scan.

I've deleted and cleared the cache of the app and bluetooth settings multiple times on both devices.

I've reached out to zero via phone and online message, no response.

I love everything else about the bike, and I don't care about any of the app features except simply setting custom mode, but this lack of customer service is extremely frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: App Won't Recognize Bike
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:43:04 PM »

Welcome!

Zero has an official guide to using the app:
- http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/app/help/ios/
And a connectivity page in particular:
- https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/app/help/ios/connectivity.php

There is also an unofficial guide:
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Official_Mobile_Application#Pairing
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 04:46:31 AM »

Thanks. I have tried all of this. I guess I need to bring it in to a dealer, but I'm hesitant to because I know they're just regular joes and not app developers.

I've read enough to know how it goes, give the bike to the dealer, they're "waiting on zero to respond" and zero won't respond to me either.

Wish Zero had any type of real customer support. I've called multiple times on multiple days, left messages, sent emails. Radio silence.

Makes me look forward to harley and others moving into the space. The bike is great but customer service on a product like this is necessary and Zero just doesn't deliver.

SR2016

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 05:07:41 AM »

Have you tried the " Bluetooth connectivity" discoverability part of the App?

That fixed it for me.   Had to hold the mode button on the motorcycle to connect.

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:24:57 AM »

Yeah I mean that's the basic instruction.

Peg down, kilswitch off, turn the key on, hold mode button until bluetooth logo starts blinking.

Android app will not recognize the bike.

iOS will recognize a bluetooth device with a weird name, and even pair with it, but the zero app doesn't see it and says I'm not connected to a bike. When the iPhone is paired the bluetooth logo stays solid on the bike, indicating that it's paired. The app doesn't change.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:31:37 AM »

The dealer can do some things quickly without Zero’s intervention, like rebooting, resetting, or upgrading the firmware, that might clear this up.

They do need to perform any of these options carefully, but it might resolve this.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »

I hadn't had time to go to the dealer yet but was still looking for solutions.

I had seen other issues solved by rolling back the app, but I couldn't do that since I never had previous version.

Finally found this thread http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6843.15

Which had a link to an .apk. Deleted the app store version the app, installed this, disabled auto updating, and boom, it easily paired with the bike and allowed me to change the custom settings.

Settings stuck, so that's good.

Only strange thing is that it says "2013 Zero" when mine is a 2015, but it doesn't really matter. My 2015 SR is a strange one because it has a 2016 powertrain in it anyways.

Now I'm not sure if I want to bring it to a dealer. Maybe with a firmware update it would work with the newest version of the app, but hey "if it aint broke, don't fix it" right?

Obri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »

I have the same issue, did also post here about it. It works with the 1.2.8 APKG for me.

I think the APK should have the folowing checksums
SHA256 910a59165d0c5639d0157f86cbc848e4ce794e60058bbca20088f46efc4a1063
MD5 e288c46b5b8c618b2581ae3e7cc44424

My guess is that something went wrong with a firmware update, my 2016 FXS did not have the correct configuration in the firmware, the model was not set which resulted in issues with the odometer. I did solve the configuration issue with an USB-TTL Cable, but bluetooth still does show up as RN-IAP-XXXX and pairing does only work with the 1.2.8 APKG

I think that the bluetooth module is not initialized correctly by the MBB or has a firmware without the correct configuration.

I did not go to the dealer with this issue because i'm not sure that he can resolve this issue in one day and i need the FXS to get back home. The odometer issue was not resolved by zero and the dealer that sold me the motorcycle. I'm not complaining about the dealer here, he can't do much without the help from Zero.

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »

Yeah, 1.2.8 is also the APK that worked for me.

But it also only worked on my old phone. I tried it first on that phone since I didn't want to risk an app from an unknown source on my new phone.

When it worked, I put it on my note 8, but this phone can't find the bike. I'm assuming that the newer android/bluetooth  aren't compatible with the older app.

It is very likely what you said, the firmare doesn't have the correct configuration. I know my bike is weird, it has a 2016 battery and controller and 2015 everything else. The firmware probably itsn't properly configured for this.

I probably won't go to the dealer now. Right now I can change the custom mode, which is all I cared about. Going to the dealer might mean no bike for a while, and just introduces a bunch of variables that could lead to a bike that I can't change custom on, or worse, a bricked bike. From what I've heard of zero/dealer communication, I'm honestly a little wary of taking the bike in.

I've called zero customer service several times with no answer and no return of message. Which taught me a valuable lesson: Next time I buy a vehicle I'm calling customer service first. If I can't talk to a human, I'm not buying the vehicle.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »

My system to getting my cheap Android phone to connect to my 2018 Zero is to turn on the phone, go to the Zero app, let it start searching via Bluetooth, then turn on the ignition of my Zero. After about a minute it will connect.  That is the only thing that seems to work for me. Having the bike on first before trying to connect doesn't seem to work.  ???

I might add that I didn't have this problem with my 2014 S and the original Zero app system. It would connect any time the bike was on or charging with the ignition off.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:41:27 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]