• April 29, 2024, 04:42:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My nearest dealer is 4 days away by boat  (Read 614 times)

808allday

• View Profile
My nearest dealer is 4 days away by boat
« on: September 17, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »

Hi Folks, so I live in Hawaii and am considering purchasing a Zero FX once the 2019 model is released. One major area of concern for me is the fact that there are no Zero dealers in Hawaii, and as a result, the nearest dealership is in California which is ~$500 in shipping and four days away via boat.

I've read quite a bit here about bikes needing to be returned to dealerships multiple times for issues to be fixed which is not an option for me. Is owning a Zero without access to a dealership just a nightmare waiting to happen or is it something that is realistic? I've also heard about bikes having firmware updates installed via Wifi, any news on that?

I am very interested in purchasing a Zero bike of my own, but the lack of accessible service in my state and customer support horror stories are not very inviting. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: My nearest dealer is 4 days away by boat
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »

Chances are you wouldn't need to go back to a dealer, but there's also a real possibility that you would. Almost every issue requires bringing the bike to a dealer to hook up to their diagnostics, and how much of a pain in the ass it is to do so doesn't matter.

Do some more reading on firmware. You can update newer bike's firmware using the app most of the time, but some updates do or did require a dealer visit. Regardless, consensus advice is don't update your firmware if your bike is working.

Riding a zero in HI would be a blast. Its just a matter if how much risk you're willing to take. I don't think we have enough numbers to quantify that statistically.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:53:13 PM »

So far I haven't needed to bring my 2018 Zero (or my 2014 Zero S, for that matter) to my dealer, other than for motor "commissioning" at 600 miles.  And frankly, I am not at all sure that the "commissioning" actually did anything noticeable. Firmware updates work just fine via an internet download directly to the bike's computer by way of a cell phone Blue Tooth connection.  Still, if I was in Hawaii, I would contact Zero and see what they have to say about dealing with any service or warranty issues at your location.

I wouldn't worry too much about the problems that you read here. Like all product forums, all you read about are the occasional major problem. You never hear about all of the people who are happy with their Zeros. What you really want to know is what is the percentage of people who have problems that they can't resolve themselves, compared with Zero customers who have no problems at all. Unfortunately, your guess is as good as mine. Likely only Zero knows the answer to that and they aren't telling - just like every other vehicle manufacturer. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »

...I am very interested in purchasing a Zero bike of my own, but the lack of accessible service in my state and customer support horror stories are not very inviting. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Because the warranty could be completely useless, you may do well to buy a used Zero that has all of the dust shaken out of it; If you are getting a Zero.

Also try asking Alta Motors, Energica, how would they handle service to HI state.

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:35:39 AM »

While I really like my Zero, and like what the company stands for, the truth of the matter is --
 * They do not support or engage end-customers directly in a useful manner.
 * Everything regarding support, parts, and warranty has to be proxied through a dealer.
 * You can't get access to the right tools & docs via their channels as an end-user.

However, there is a lot of support through the online Wiki and this forum.  Quite a bit can be done without special access.  Therefore, if I were in your location, I agree with Shadow -- get a recent (2015-) used model that is already out of warranty.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:29:07 PM »

While I really like my Zero, and like what the company stands for, the truth of the matter is --
 * They do not support or engage end-customers directly in a useful manner.
 * Everything regarding support, parts, and warranty has to be proxied through a dealer.
 * You can't get access to the right tools & docs via their channels as an end-user.

However, there is a lot of support through the online Wiki and this forum.  Quite a bit can be done without special access.  Therefore, if I were in your location, I agree with Shadow -- get a recent (2015-) used model that is already out of warranty.
I have around 4,000 miles on both my Zeros and I have never brought either one back to the dealer for anything. Never recommissioned or anything, both still run perfectly.

The only problem I have had so far is an open ABS sensor on the front wheel of my SR. Even though the bike is still in warranty, I didn't bother with that, and bought my own front wheel sensor here.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 05:59:07 AM »

The only problem I have had so far is an open ABS sensor on the front wheel of my SR. Even though the bike is still in warranty, I didn't bother with that, and bought my own front wheel sensor here.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I appreciate the link for how to buy Zero parts on line.  I can not figure out how to pull  up the optional 520 chain drive kit (FX) and see what sprocket sizes they offer.  The parts guy at the local Zero dealership must have the same stuff as all they offered was a kit, which I can not find either.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:12:42 AM by Fran K »

808allday

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 06:58:46 AM »

Thanks for the sound advice everyone. I'll be sure to contact Zero and their competitors to ask about how they would handle a warranty in my case. While I would like to purchase a new one as I will likely own it for a while, I see the advantages of going used. Specifically, getting a bike that has "all the dust shaken out of it".

The next hurdle is to find a good condition used FX and dealing with an out-of-state purchase. There is one for sale not far from where I live but it is a dirty looking 2014 for $8500. Anyone here done a long distance purchase on a car/bike and had it shipped to you? I'm not 100% sure how to go about this as I have read conflicting reports online about paying via wire transfer, cashiers check, or through a business such as eBay or CycleTrader. Seems like a risky shot-in-the-dark and I'd like to do my best to minimize the chances of either getting ripped off or running into the idiosyncrasies of long distance purchases.

Aloha,
Noah

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:14:55 AM »

I appreciate the link for how to buy Zero parts on line.  I can not figure out how to pull  up the optional 520 chain drive kit (FX) and see what sprocket sizes they offer.  The parts guy at the local Zero dealership must have the same stuff as all they offered was a kit, which I can not find either.
See here.

If that's not what you're looking for, I guess you can give them an e-mail.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X