• April 28, 2024, 11:59:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero Bike Questions  (Read 439 times)

NotAEBikeOwner(YET)

• View Profile
Zero Bike Questions
« on: September 26, 2018, 03:52:21 AM »

I just recently considered the purchase of a electric motorcycle and the only maker that stands out is Zero.
I looked through all the specs and am vary impressed with the acceleration, torque, and capacity in an electric bike.

I only have two questions, one being how easy it is to charge and how fast (Miles Per Hour) a zero bike charges.
I also Have concerns about whether or not the models have stereos that work with radio or auxiliary.

Thanks   

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: Zero Bike Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:33:34 AM »

It's dead simple to charge. I just plug into a wall outlet and get about 10 MPH with the basic onboard charger.  The MPH answer will depend a lot of variables. The bikes will go a lot farther at low speed than on the highway, what can influence your MPH charge rate by a factor of 2 or more. Also, there are official Zero and aftermarket chsrging options that will charge at significantly higher rates - ten or more times faster.

You can put your own stereo on a Zero, but there's no factory option for one.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 07:42:06 AM »

I recall from personal experience about 6mph charge for FX, and 10mph charge for S/DS. In a lot of miles of riding I'll average between 80Wh/mi to 120Wh/mi mixed highway and city riding.

The relatively low pack voltage of 88-116Vdc on Zero 2013+ platform is easy to find aftermarket charging electronics for. The charging electronics shipped with the bikes are approved for global application and this is notoriously difficult to get passed for EMI regulatory agreements;  so the charging rate is awful and if you need better charging rate it is possible with your own electronics added to the bike.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:54:27 AM »

Depends on what model/options you choose. All models have a basic onboard charger, it's rather slow, meant more for overnight charging and waking up to a full battery. But, you can choose the Zero Charge tank option which charges very fast, and also an aftermarket charger by Diginow which charges very fast. As far as ease, just find a charge location on www.plugshare.com, show up and plug in.
Pages: [1]