• April 29, 2024, 03:32:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fast charging DS MY2015  (Read 4966 times)

vkruger

• View Profile
Re: Fast charging DS MY2015
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »

Another item to consider is the high cost for occasional use of CHAdeMO. I had a Leaf for over 4 years and only used DC about 6 times and still have a RAV4 EV and have only used DC twice to test it out in 4 months. Even with a 42 kWh battery to stay at 125 amps longer (almost 50 kW) the cost is higher than gas. On a ZERO with only ~12 kW the cost would be quite high with EVGo and many other chargers. I have a 60 amp EVSE at home so my RAV4 EV charges at 10 kW at home. A J1772 can even get that high at a few public chargers but most max out at 6-7 kW. Much of my travel is away from the CA coast so DC is not available. I may be better off with J1772 unless a combo 10 kW AC - 12 kW DC unit becomes available. I hope DC rates in CA drop to reasonable levels for occasional use and become available away from the coast.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »

The results are a bit disappointing I'm afraid:

Zero MBB log

Serial number      b'2015_mbb_ca1a29_00460'
VIN                b'538SD7Z20FCB04743'
Firmware rev.      40
Board rev.         3
Model              b'DS'

---

Perhaps you can try the other option in the Zero app and download the MBB and Battery logs?  The app says it takes about ten minutes and you end up with two 128Kb files.  I've attached the results from when I tried it as log.txt and log1.txt

Here are some instructions explaining what I did to run the utility:

1.  Download and install the Windows Python client 3.5.1 from here: https://www.python.org/downloads/
2.  Create a folder on your C:\ drive called py
3.  In that folder create a file called py.bat with the following contents:

cd C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32\
pause
python zero_log_parser.py c:\py\Erasmo.bin -o c:\py\Erasmo.txt
pause

Replace <UserName> with your own Username on your PC.  You should be able to browse to the relevant folder and find a file called python.exe - just so you know you've got the path correct.

4.  Copy your .bin file to c:\py and rename it to something useful.
5.  Edit your py.bat file to change the Erasmo.bin and Erasmo.txt files accordingly.
6.  Don't forget the save your .bat file
7.  Double-click on your py.bat file
8.  You should get a screen like the attached screenshot
9.  Open the txt file in your favourite text editor.  I like Notepad++.

I'm sure there is probably a more elegant way of doing this, but this is what worked for me.  I hope this helps and good luck with that CHAdeMO kit! :-)
Tomorrow I have access to the bike again but I fear that the fault code needs to be reset by a dealer.

Another item to consider is the high cost for occasional use of CHAdeMO. I had a Leaf for over 4 years and only used DC about 6 times and still have a RAV4 EV and have only used DC twice to test it out in 4 months. Even with a 42 kWh battery to stay at 125 amps longer (almost 50 kW) the cost is higher than gas. On a ZERO with only ~12 kW the cost would be quite high with EVGo and many other chargers. I have a 60 amp EVSE at home so my RAV4 EV charges at 10 kW at home. A J1772 can even get that high at a few public chargers but most max out at 6-7 kW. Much of my travel is away from the CA coast so DC is not available. I may be better off with J1772 unless a combo 10 kW AC - 12 kW DC unit becomes available. I hope DC rates in CA drop to reasonable levels for occasional use and become available away from the coast.
I'm planning to use mine at least two times a week. But what are the rates in California?

vkruger

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »

$14.95/month + 10 cents a minute with $29 cancellation fee
or
$4.95/charge + 20 cents a minute with no cancellation fee

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »

I'm not sure those logs are much use by the way. They seem to cut off at 128KB, have some spurious dates and not the latest entries.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »

Another item to consider is the high cost for occasional use of CHAdeMO.

+1, and I'd add pretty much any commercial EV charging station. Sure, they'll recharge your vehicle, but what they really are is an ATM that you put way too many dollars into for a few measly kWh of power. They have to amortize the cost of the equipment as well as its installation, after all, and the owner of the equipment as well as the owner of the property it's installed on want their piece of the pie....and since electricity is so cheap, it had better be a BIG piece of the very small pie or they won't be motivated to install it. Do the math, the markup those commercial recharging points charge is ridiculous.

That's why I'm a big fan of the 14-50 outlet. I'm more than happy to double the price of the electricity for someone who's installed one and is willing to let me recharge. But there are no surcharges required for big corporations to install their expensive equipment. I also suspect it will be a better crowd of people -- mostly our type of people!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 09:31:36 PM »

I'm trying to make sense of the log of my bike with this tool: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5020.msg34350#msg34350

But I can't make it work somehow. If I can mail my log to somebody that has the script working that would be great.

There's nothing you're doing wrong there - a few people have encountered this.

That parser borks out when you feed it a log file that wraps around on itself. It looks like Zero stores the log entries as a ring buffer and just dumps this straight into the exported log file. I've been meaning to fix it but have just been a little short on time.
2014 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 12:50:18 AM »

Perhaps you can try the other option in the Zero app and download the MBB and Battery logs?  The app says it takes about ten minutes and you end up with two 128Kb files.  I've attached the results from when I tried it as log.txt and log1.txt
I'm looking for the other log options in the app but they don't seem to be there? When I press email motorcycle logs 1 only get one option..

I'm trying to make sense of the log of my bike with this tool: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5020.msg34350#msg34350

But I can't make it work somehow. If I can mail my log to somebody that has the script working that would be great.

There's nothing you're doing wrong there - a few people have encountered this.

That parser borks out when you feed it a log file that wraps around on itself. It looks like Zero stores the log entries as a ring buffer and just dumps this straight into the exported log file. I've been meaning to fix it but have just been a little short on time.
No problem your work already has done a lot. Together with Bonkers' instructions I can get something done but a lot of the new logfile is still incomprehensible for me.

$14.95/month + 10 cents a minute with $29 cancellation fee
or
$4.95/charge + 20 cents a minute with no cancellation fee
That is quite expensive yes. Here there are two different pricing scenarios, on per per minute with a €0,35 starting rate and another network lets you pay per kWh, you can choose to get a monthly subscription which more than halves the cost or get unlimited access for €100/month.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 07:50:45 AM »

I'm looking for the other log options in the app but they don't seem to be there? When I press email motorcycle logs 1 only get one option..

By the way, if you're only getting one option in the app to email the logs, I think the app might not be connected to the bike. Does your screen look like this?

If so, close the app, go into your Bluetooth settings, reconnect to the bike, launch the app and you should see another setting to get both logs with an estimated time of 12 minutes (i think). Leave your phone by the bike while you're doing this.

I hope that helps.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 03:23:58 AM »

Did you do your first DC fast charge already?
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 12:24:25 AM »

Update: Fiddled with the software and I expect to do another attempt this weekend. I'm keeping the amperage low, primary goal is to check how the connection with the charger holds up.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 06:44:16 AM »

Best of luck mate! [emoji106]

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »

As bad as EV Go is at pricing, i am afraid that it is the wave of the future. Early on, there were so few EVs on the road that it wasn't economically feasible for someone to put in a charger.
With more EVs every day, it will become more necessary. I believe that early adopters put them in and took advantage of tax breaks. There are several hundred public charging stations
here in Vegas, and with the exception of a few Blink chargers and the new EV Go locations, they are all free. My guess is that there will now / soon be a greater financial incentive for
Pay to charge stations. I read recently ( insideevs.com ? ) that September was either highest month yet for EV sales.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »

Had a few errors compiling the firmware last time, got updated libraries from the shop and it seems to work now.
New test is planned for Friday.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2018, 03:20:50 AM »

As bad as EV Go is at pricing, i am afraid that it is the wave of the future. Early on, there were so few EVs on the road that it wasn't economically feasible for someone to put in a charger.
With more EVs every day, it will become more necessary. I believe that early adopters put them in and took advantage of tax breaks. There are several hundred public charging stations
here in Vegas, and with the exception of a few Blink chargers and the new EV Go locations, they are all free. My guess is that there will now / soon be a greater financial incentive for
Pay to charge stations. I read recently ( insideevs.com ? ) that September was either highest month yet for EV sales.

OK, so looks like these days, ChargePoint and Blink also have Chademo in my area.  $5/hr or 21c/kwh is a lot more reasonable than NRG EVGO (former Enron) rates. 

(if you are curious of the origins of NRG, start here https://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/26/nrg-sells-evgo-fast-charge-network/ )
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]