• March 19, 2024, 04:37:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero Drop Bar Installation on DSR with Pics  (Read 2529 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Zero Drop Bar Installation on DSR with Pics
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »

The drop bars from Zero don't come with any instructions, but fortunately there is installation information available in the Unofficial Manual and other sources online.  The installation is fairly simple, but I thought I would provide some tips and watch-outs to help make the installation go smoothly for others.

Brian Rice, feel free to use any of this information to update the Wiki.

Before you start, make sure you have a 3mm hex socket (especially if you will be removing the skid plate) and the special tool for removing the factory plastic plugs that cover the threaded mounting inserts on the skid plate and frame.  I bought this one from Amazon and put tape around the base to help keep it from scratching – see photo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779KWP8J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don’t care about ruining the plugs then you could probably just grab them with a needle nose pliers and pull them out.  I plan on reusing the plugs for another project so I wanted to keep them intact.

The drop bar kit comes with a separate metal skid plate, which you may or may not have to use depending on your model.  If your bike already has the metal skid plate on it (like mine does) then you do not need to install the new one.  If you do need to replace it, this is where the 3mm hex socket comes in.  There are 8 button head screws attaching the skid plate, which are a real pain to remove if you try using an allen key.  There is also one attaching a ground wire to one of the threaded frame inserts on the left side (at least on my bike anyway).  Be careful, the screws are small so you don’t want to torque them down too much.

The kit also comes with two L brackets (left and right) that attach to the upper frame.  These L brackets are used for attaching the cross bar and upper mounting point of the drop bars.  While it is true they can only go on one way, I had to fuss with them for a while before I got it right.  Make sure the large hole in the bracket is facing forward and the leg on the bracket with the hole is on the outside of the frame – see photo.

Also note there is a small bracket welded to the left drop bar that I assumed was for relocating the horn.  That's what I used it for anyway.

The fender on my DSR came very close to hitting the cross bar so I bought some longer bolts and spacers at Home Depot to lower the fender to gain some additional clearance – see photo.

Well that’s about it.  Very easy install and drop bars lined up perfectly.  The finish is so so.  My drop bars came with a number of scratches on them, which I assume was from hitting against each other during packaging and shipping so the packaging could be better.  I touched them up with some satin black paint so it’s not so noticeable.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:19:20 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Zero Drop Bar Installation on DSR with Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:55:52 PM »

Some more photos.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:22:02 PM »

That's awesome, thank you. Someone should integrate it into the manual.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

UK S Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 02:08:06 AM »

The drop bars from Zero don't come with any instructions, but fortunately there is installation information available in the Unofficial Manual and other sources online.  The installation is fairly simple, but I thought I would provide some tips and watch-outs to help make the installation go smoothly for others.

Brian Rice, feel free to use any of this information to update the Wiki.

Before you start, make sure you have a 3mm hex socket (especially if you will be removing the skid plate) and the special tool for removing the factory plastic plugs that cover the threaded mounting inserts on the skid plate and frame.  I bought this one from Amazon and put tape around the base to help keep it from scratching – see photo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779KWP8J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don’t care about ruining the plugs then you could probably just grab them with a needle nose pliers and pull them out.  I plan on reusing the plugs for another project so I wanted to keep them intact.

The drop bar kit comes with a separate metal skid plate, which you may or may not have to use depending on your model.  If your bike already has the metal skid plate on it (like mine does) then you do not need to install the new one.  If you do need to replace it, this is where the 3mm hex socket comes in.  There are 8 button head screws attaching the skid plate, which are a real pain to remove if you try using an allen key.  There is also one attaching a ground wire to one of the threaded frame inserts on the left side (at least on my bike anyway).  Be careful, the screws are small so you don’t want to torque them down too much.

The kit also comes with two L brackets (left and right) that attach to the upper frame.  These L brackets are used for attaching the cross bar and upper mounting point of the drop bars.  While it is true they can only go on one way, I had to fuss with them for a while before I got it right.  Make sure the large hole in the bracket is facing forward and the leg on the bracket with the hole is on the outside of the frame – see photo.

Also note there is a small bracket welded to the left drop bar that I assumed was for relocating the horn.  That's what I used it for anyway.

The fender on my DSR came very close to hitting the cross bar so I bought some longer bolts and spacers at Home Depot to lower the fender to gain some additional clearance – see photo.

Well that’s about it.  Very easy install and drop bars lined up perfectly.  The finish is so so.  My drop bars came with a number of scratches on them, which I assume was from hitting against each other during packaging and shipping so the packaging could be better.  I touched them up with some satin black paint so it’s not so noticeable.
Wow, very thorough thanks. But wow they look really overkill. Don’t they have mushrooms like on standard bikes ? Surely there must be a point on the frame by the battery that could be used?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:25:01 AM »

I've finally remembered to update the unofficial manual for this:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform/Zero_Drop_Bars/Install

As for why the bars are so broad, they're designed for Zero's law enforcement fleet variants to mount lights and a siren, so the civilian application is just a stripped down version.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]