• April 28, 2024, 12:45:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Charge Tank Now Aftermarket Option  (Read 4151 times)

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: Charge Tank Now Aftermarket Option
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 11:36:08 PM »

I assume the Zero trunk itself can handle more than 22 lbs
Seriously, the 6 lb weight limit is the GIVI specification for their Monolock model line. The Zero GIVI trunk is not designed for 22 lbs. If anyone wants to carry 22 lbs, they should move up to the Monokey line or select another manufacturer.

2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 11:41:19 PM »

The Happy Trails side rack supports a much greater static and dynamic load, enough to mount chargers. I do not recommend placing chargers on a Zero tail in any other way.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 06:09:12 AM »

IOW, it may not be a good idea to exceed the 3KG/ 6.6 lbs weight limit even with the Monokey. Behind the rear axle is not a safe place to carry much weight. Between the axles is were the weight should be. I assume the Zero trunk itself can handle more than 22 lbs, its location is the real problem that sets the weight limit.

-Don-  AUburn, CA
[/quote]

Sure the ideal place for extra weight is between the axles one foot above the ground.  The Zero lower trunk means only the 7.2 battery, not compatible with more than short trips. The tank trunk is super convenient, but not that large. Maybe could hold 22 lbs of gold coins, but more like 4 lbs of normal stuf. People manage to tour around the world without a problem with 40 + lbs of tail case and gear at or behind the rear axle. That's in addition to side cases, tank bag, etc. Are Zeroes such snowflakes that if pushed beyond their ideal niche of commuting and light travel that this is a problem? If so, I get that, but would be a disappointment. Other posters have proposed a more robust, longer wheelbase, acceptably heavier zero powered by three monoliths. Maybe a real tail case could work for that moto.
The electric feel is wonderful, but I can't sell my ICE yet. Sure hope I can soon.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:21:31 AM by heroto »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »

While placing dense mass aft of the rear axle is generally inadvisable, there is a more specific problem with the OEM tail rack and the tail subframe that I believe contributes to its load limit and can lead to catastrophic failure of the rack at speed.

The tail rack is a lever that is insufficiently braced for dynamic loads. I recommend even for its rated loads to ensure there is padding as necessary between the rack tab and the tail plastics, and additionally I recommend socket cap bolts with washers at the forward fastening position to the frame tail horns.

The OEM side racks, while better positioned, do not offer enough strength or rigidity to support chargers without the potential for bowing or warping over time.

The Happy Trails racks by comparison have sturdier construction with wider diameter steel tubing and more robust anchoring against the frame and tail. The Happy Trails rack also serves somewhat to dampen dynamic strain on the top rack, in a way that the OEM side racks are not designed to do.

I wish I had better recommendations. Zero’s frame is extremely limited in what it can support.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »

Related: Zero OEM topcase rack and Monokey universal adapter plate deformed in a DSR collision event.

Next pictured is a Givi V47 case what separated from the bike in the collision.

(Not pictured is a corded hot air tool in its box also what was inside the case, so somewhere together about 20lbs of gear)

With respect to carrying items in the OEM toprack system I would side with the sentiment that, yes it will work (up to about 80lbs on the Monokey system before your cornering ill-effects are the least of your structural worries) but the risks are significant for any amount of weight over the manufacturer recommendation. The changes to handling are particularly adverse over about 35lbs in the topcase. These Givi cases I gather from advice and experience are known to come loose in a collision and may tumble off harmlessly "locked" or empty their contents with great enthusiasm.

I rarely hear of such experiences for side cases; are top cases any different from side cases?  I think we have some data here to say that the top case is cost effective and convenient, but it is a risk you the rider should be more aware of.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »

Old BMW plastic hard cases from the late 1970's, early 1980's era were noted for springing open at unanticipated times while you were riding.  :o My daughter has a set of those cases on her R650LS.  The solution was to wrap a free BMW dealer-supplied packing strap (used to secure their motorcycles when they were shipped in their wooden container boxes) around your entire saddlebag cases to keep the lids closed when hitting a bump.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2018, 10:01:59 PM »

I have the factory metal rack and Givi’s Universal fit plate. The plate is Plastic but seems like beefy plastic. I haven’t seen the Zero plate. Anyone seen both and can compare?
Thanks

Edit: I have the monokey plate.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:27:12 AM by heroto »

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2018, 01:07:34 AM »

I have the factory metal rack and Givi’s Universal fit plate. The plate is Plastic but seems like beefy plastic. I haven’t seen the Zero plate. Anyone seen both and can compare?
Thanks
I think the metal tubular frame for the mounting plate is custom Zero. The plate for all Monolock top boxes, the Zero case included, comes with the case from GIVI.
2020 Zero SR/S

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2018, 01:10:35 AM »

I was curious how they compare in terms of strength.
Edit: I'm referring to the monokey, not monolock. Sorry I wasn't clear.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-e251-universal-monokey-top-case-adapter-plate
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:21:07 AM by heroto »

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2018, 01:15:39 AM »

I was curious how they compare in terms of strength.
The plastic plate? All Monolock plates, including the one used by Zero, are the same as far as I've seen and come from GIVI. The GIVI Monolkey plate is different from the Monolock plate and is sold separately.
2020 Zero SR/S

ZEROfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 02:32:21 AM »

I had the plastic off of my 2018 ZERO SR zf14.4 with the charge tank installed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]