• April 29, 2024, 03:46:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fixing the "flying magnet in the engine issue" / low mileage engine broke  (Read 497 times)

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile

All,

I had several issues on my Zero (firmware, main board, tires, belt, battery,...), that the dealer could solve (often by keeping the bike a couple of weeks/months), but the last one is really a tricky one : very shortly after hearing noises seemingly coming from inside the engine (a bit like if a piece was flying inside the engine).

It seems that Zero has such an issue on the engines, according to the list of official US recalls). In the same time, I experienced stops and go in the power (almost stopping as if something blocked it each time there was the noise). I brought it back to my dealership who confirmed this is an issue, usually handled with by changing the engine at Zero's expense.

Since the commercial warranty is over, Zero tell me it is my problem. I don't agree and will do what i have to do, but since my priority is to have my bike running I was wondering if anybody fixed this issue by himself. I heared that while Zero discourages users from opening the engine, it can be fixed relatively easily. At least as a temporary solution until I get Zero to change it, it would really help.

Any suggestion / manual / experience to share ?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:16:40 PM by Moto7575 »
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Fixing the "flying magnet in the engine issue" / low mileage engine broke
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 01:42:31 AM »

Which one do you have?
The old surface magnet rotor motor (not engine) could get hot enough to melt the epoxy holding the magnet on.  It wasn't common but could happen.
I wouldn't try to fix it.  I'm sure there are people and companies that rebuild motors but it's not a DIY type job.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:53:42 AM »

This is a 2013 model. I never ride the motorbike for long  and it sleeps in a garage. Probably another defect...
What kind of professional could do this for  for a reasonable price ?
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 12:41:53 AM »

Simplest would be to find a 2013 Zero that has been in a wreck or battery failure or something, and swap motors.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]