• April 29, 2024, 12:13:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The latest electric motorcycles and scooters  (Read 650 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
The latest electric motorcycles and scooters
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:03:09 AM »

Here is a link to photos of new electric motorcycles and scooters from a recent UK bike show.  Photos you get, but not much in the way of words.  And don't expect some of these motorcycles to show up on a dealer's showroom floor anytime soon - if at all:   ;)
https://electricmotorcycles.news/new-images-from-motorcycle-live-2018-part-2/
https://electricmotorcycles.news/some-images-from-motorcycle-live-2018-birmingham/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: The latest electric motorcycles and scooters
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:58:56 AM »

I posted a video link on the future bike Arc (from the second link) in the video section.  My post title scared away everybody by talking about it's 100k price tag. He said that the electric bikes got all the buzz from the show.
Those little city scooters, I just don't get it.  Little range, weak power, and then you need a place to park and charge it.  I'd go ebike or real bicycle only in the urban jungle.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 07:37:13 AM »

I wonder if there is anything different about the BMW scooter from the current model shown at the end of part 2?  Could it have a smaller battery and a lower price for use on big city streets?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »

Here is another new low-power (3KW) city motorcycle from the startup Fly Free Smart Motorcycles.  Just like their Scrambler model, their cafe racer is nice looking. But why does is look fast, yet it has a top speed and maximum range only usable in city riding? https://electricmotorcycles.news/fly-free-smart-motorcycles-released-its-second-model-smart-classic/

Is it really that difficult to design and manufacture a nice looking electric motorcycle that is capable of freeway speeds and has a range of over 100 miles?  Zero could use some competition.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »

Here is another new low-power (3KW) city motorcycle from the startup Fly Free Smart Motorcycles.  Just like their Scrambler model, their cafe racer is nice looking. But why does is look fast, yet it has a top speed and maximum range only usable in city riding? https://electricmotorcycles.news/fly-free-smart-motorcycles-released-its-second-model-smart-classic/

Is it really that difficult to design and manufacture a nice looking electric motorcycle that is capable of freeway speeds and has a range of over 100 miles?  Zero could use some competition.

Difficult?  No.  Keeping it affordable?  Yes.  It's good that they are starting small and working their way up (pretty much exactly how Zero got started).  Most of the companies that decided to start out with high end bikes are no longer in business (with the exception of Energica).

Harley will be the first major manufacturer with a "high end" electric motorcycle.  I think everybody else is waiting to see how they'll do.  You'll note most of the Japanese manufacturers are starting with power-assisted bicycles and small scooters.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]