• April 29, 2024, 09:51:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about the Zero J17722 Adaptor Plug.  (Read 959 times)

alko

• View Profile
Re: Question about the Zero J17722 Adaptor Plug.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 05:05:27 AM »

Sounds like fun.
I just ordered the adaptor plug from the dealer in Chandler AZ, it'll be shipped directly from Zero. The dealer in vegas doesn't take credit cards over the phone. How crazy is that? It's their loss.
Can't wait to take a short trip to st George ut once I get the plug. It's 45 miles away so just out of range for a round trip.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:13:14 AM by alko »

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »

You might also bring the standard power cord in case you find a place that will let you use their 5-15R.
Although I have always been too shy for that...
On PlugShare it appears there are three level 1 stations in St. George.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

There's almost always a wall outlet somewhere in the world. I think of it like 99.9% of wall outlets aren't on Plugshare because literally every home and business have wall outlets. I generally don't even bring a wall cord anywhere because there's almost always a J1772, Nema 15-50, or Tesla Destination station somewhere near where I've planned to be.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »

There's almost always a wall outlet somewhere in the world. I think of it like 99.9% of wall outlets aren't on Plugshare because literally every home and business have wall outlets. I generally don't even bring a wall cord anywhere because there's almost always a J1772, Nema 15-50, or Tesla Destination station somewhere near where I've planned to be.

The problem is, MOST of those wall outlets accessible from outside of a building are hidden from view, or deactivated.  This is from experience.  I've found very few active external outlets, at least where I live.  At least with the J1772 adapter I can top up if I'm running low. 

OH!  One more thing:  Just because you have the adapter doesn't mean you'll be able to charge anywhere with it.  You'll likely have to join a service so you can unlock the charger.  I joined ChargePoint, which seems to be the dominant player around where I live but there are several different companies out there.  See which one is the most prevalent in your region and join it.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:12 PM »

Yeah I have accounts with ChargePoint, PlugShare, and EVgo. PlugShare tends to be the most useful since it lets you pay for other company accounts like SemaConnect, etc. There’s a “pay with PlugShare” button for a lot of things.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 11:03:41 PM »

It's way too complicated. I can't wait for all chargers to standardize. I knew this would happen when tesla first started puting in their infrastructure.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 01:37:13 AM »

Ok. Well perhaps an electric vehicle isn't for you.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 02:49:01 AM »

I bought my Zero as a "Second motorcycle" even though I find myself riding it far more often than my primary.  The reason being, MOST of my riding are relatively short (under 100 miles).  Commuting back and forth to work, shopping, running errands, etc.  With that in mind, I had no need for fast charging; running it around all day, then plugging in overnight works perfectly for me.  The J1772 adapter comes in handy for those rare times I'm NOT paying attention.

Long trips are still the main purpose of my trusty old (and I DO mean "old") K1200LT.  In really bad weather, the Subaru comes into the forefront.  I'm still looking at getting a Yamaha XMAX 300 to split the difference between the K1200LT and the Zero but that's on hold for the time being.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 05:32:21 AM »

Here's mine in action this afternoon. 
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 06:12:20 AM »

Ok. Well perhaps an electric vehicle isn't for you.

I love my Zero and am fo.e not touring with it. There are currently plug wars between auto manufactures going on but eventually will sta.fardize to 1-2 different plugs, but who will win and who will lose in the lo g run. It's just like the vhs vs beta war of the 80's.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »

There will probably always be the need for one slow method of charging (commonly found at home, offices and parking lots) and one fast method of charging (Gas Station equivalent especially along interstates). The distinction is already getting ingrained. My Chevy Bolt has a 60 kW battery and can charge 7.7 kW at Level 2, or 50 kW at CCS.

Standards for the US and Europe will always differ, and probably Japan/etc. It seems a mutual goal never to cooperate on any international standard (the exception being Internet protocols).

J1772 and Mennekes may already be long term standards for slow charging (80 A, 20 kW). These formats already max out various practical limits in environments where slow charging is used. I would bet that further iterations of that standard will add little more than horrible bidirectional data modulation schemes in order to add features backward compatibly (think what happened with NTSC!)

DC fast charging has a ways to go. Even 10 minutes is too long for people in line at fueling stations.
Pages: 1 [2]