• April 29, 2024, 12:57:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dealer / Warranty Issues  (Read 1243 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Dealer Issues
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »

Sales staff at vehicle dealerships come and go, especially at multi-brand stores.  It is quite likely that many of these sales people do not know that much about the vehicle that they are selling, much less the intricacies if each brand's warranty details.  (Although, of course they should.)  That could also be true of the shop's owner.

The only reason that I can think of for Zero to start a warranty when one of their vehicles leaves the factory, instead of when it is sold to the customer, is that they are worried that the retail dealership will not keep the battery pack properly charged before it is sold to a customer.  Otherwise, why should their motorcycle warranty not start with the sale to the customer like every other ICE vehicle sold in the world?  I bet if this issue ever went to small claims court, the judge would agree that the warranty starts with the sale - unless the warranty language or sales agreement was very clear that it started when the bike was built.

I am glad that my 2009 BMW F650GS didn't have a warranty like that. It left the factory in Germany in June 2008, but didn't arrive at my dealership until September 2008, which was when I bought the bike.  My 3-year warranty started from the date that I took possession of the motorcycle.  The delay was due to BMW not wanting to ship a new model to their dealerships until they had enough vehicles for each of their 300 shops to have at least three to sell at the same time.  So they held back shipping the bikes around the country until they had enough in stock at their U.S. warehouse to do that.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 10:53:51 PM »

Agree. This is very short term calculation on Zero's side.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 11:03:38 PM »

they are worried that the retail dealership will not keep the battery pack properly charged before it is sold to a customer. 

This was one of the keys for me going with a new Zero.  I've read multiple times in multiple manuals that failing to properly care for the battery can put you in a bind.  I really wanted to start with a brand new, full warranty battery that I know was maintained properly from the get go.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 02:19:45 AM »

Well... I thought I was buying a NEW motorcycle... being a fairly new technology wanted to buy something with as much warranty as possible... and drove 7 hrs to get it.

I suggest that all Zero customers check with Zero to confirm if the motorcycle that they purchased is actually a new motorcycle... and when did the warranty actually started... to avoid this type of scenarios in the future.

I still think Zero has more to lose in this scenario.... if I were Zero I will backup my current owners and correct the warranty date to the date that I purchased it and give me the full 27 months of limited warranty... in my case it will be 6 more months from today.

Then contact the authorized dealer, find out what is going on, and make sure it is representing Zero the way it should be, and between them workout the specifics on it. Keep the customer and owners happy... we are the ones riding the motorcycles and spreading the work on this type of motorcycles.

For example I have 2 other motorcycles, these are HD. I decided to take one for service a couple of years ago... at the time of service it was 9 yrs old... during the schedule service the technician found a defective part, call me to let me know that it was defective and that he will contact HD headquaters to confirm... a couple of days later... he called me back, they ordered the part, replaced it at no charge to me.... on a 9yrs old motorcycle...way out of warranty.

Do you think Im going to go back to that dealership, or keep buying this brand... hell yes!!!

I love to ride and will keep riding my Zero and the other ICE motorcycles that I have.... and I'm glad that Zero paid for the claim.... but disappointed on the warranty problem.

I take my Zero to more that 100 EV events in the KC metro area... Im a member of the Mid America Electric Car Association... and happy to help Zero gain more customers... but disappointed on this issue. I know it is not all Zero's fault ... but it could have been handled in a more proffesional way.

Zero still has time to make it right... hopefully employees are also members of this forum and post their opinions... and maybe give me a great discount on my next Zero or battery packs. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:22:32 AM by macstructures »
Zero: 2016 DSR
HD: Rocker C 08 / Sportster 1200L 09

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 07:16:54 PM »

but disappointed on the warranty problem.

I wouldn't call it a problem so much.  It's spelled out pretty clearly in the manual:

"B. What is the Coverage Period for Demonstrators?
The duration of this Limited Warranty for demonstrator
2019 Zero Motorcycles, not including the Power Packs, is
a period of two (2) years and 90 days from the original
“shipment date.”

Note: The “shipment date” is the date that Zero ships the
Demonstrator Motorcycle to the authorized dealer.

Versus:

A. What is the Coverage Period for
Non-Demonstrators?

The duration of this Limited Warranty for Non-Demonstrator
2019 Motorcycles, not including the Power Packs, is a period
of two (2) years from the original “in service date.”

Note: The “in service date” is the date that the authorized
dealer performs a pre-delivery inspection (“PDI”) and
delivers the motorcycle to the customer. In the event these
events occur on different dates, the later date shall be the
“in service date.”

It sounds like the dealer should read up on it and let the customer know.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 11:04:09 PM »

As far as the please advise.  Most businesses need to register with the state and pay a fee for the privelage of doing business.  Here in Connecticut we also have to pay a fee for the privelage and responsibility of collecting sales tax.

Writing a paper letter to the consumer protection department will in my experience force a written response mailed back to consumer protection and consumer protection sends me a copy.  I have only done it recently for entities that send out bills and have push the button over and over when one tries to contact them eventually getting dropped or bumped back to the begining.

Just out of memory from reading warranty stuff there is generally a clause about it only applies in states that allow all the intricies.  Selling a new with zero miles bike without making the buyer sign they understand the warranty stuff if not starting at the purchace date sure seems out of line to me.

Fran

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 07:03:30 AM »

I understand the difference between the demonstrator and non-demonstrator coverage ... my point is that I was purchasing a NEW (non-demonstrator) motorcycle... and the dealer or paperwork did not disclosed that it was a demonstrator. For almost 2 yrs I thought I had a non-demonstrator model until I needed a repair covered by the warranty.

My suggestion to other owners is to double check with Zero using your VIN number the type of coverage that you still have. 

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »

You are repeating yourself. Everyone agrees that a new bike must come with a full warranty.

When you talk to the dealer on the phone, what do they say? Do they think they sold you a demo? Was the price you paid consistent with a demo? Come on, these are easy questions that should be cleared up by reviewing your paperwork and the dealer's. If you are right then it should be an open and shut case.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 03:25:06 AM »

I called a couple of times and tried to get a hold of the Sales manager.... so far no luck. The dealer is closed today and tomorrow. Will call on Tuesday.

I contacted Zero first... I thought it was an error on their system. All my paperwork has it as NEW.

What would be a "consistent" demo price?

Any thing that is used or "demo" in this case, has several variables that will determine the asking price and what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

Mileage, year, condition of it (scratched or dent) and other incentives that the seller is willing to add to make the sale. So the price that I paid for it has nothing to do with it.

I can buy a New vehicle/motorcycle and drive it around the block (less than 2 miles) ... go back to the dealership and try to sell it back to them... and if Im lucky get maybe 80% of the original price.

Are you suggesting that if I or any other person negotiates or gets a good deal on a motorcycle... I have to assume that it is used or demo and maybe no or partial warranty on it?

The main reason for this post is to make aware other owners of this type of situation, if interested check on the warranty status on the motorcycle that you own contacting Zero and to see if others had the same problem, and what was the outcome of it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:51:49 AM by macstructures »

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 05:18:27 AM »

Are you suggesting that if I or any other person negotiates or gets a good deal on a motorcycle... I have to assume that it is used or demo and maybe no or partial warranty on it?

Definitely not. It's just that if you paid list price, that would be immediate and incontrovertible evidence to exert on the sales guy.

But I'm sure you'll be able to communicate with the dealer and clear it up. I also don't think it's cause for alarm for others because in the unlikely event it ever happened, they could also clear it up. Good luck Tuesday.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 07:30:03 AM »

Returning to the OP, I'm also having problems the the front brake on my 2018 S. Major brake chatter. The rotor eventually warped, was replaced under warranty, but the chatter is the same or worse with a new rotor. I don't know if the problem is a flawed front wheel or front brake pads.
How to proceed?
I paid a ton of money to be a semi-early adopter, and there truly is a lot to like about my Zero, but dragging out this brake issue is a huge waste of my limited time and a PITA, too. Kinda spoiling all the fun that makes the Zero worth the extra cost.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 07:50:10 AM »

Returning to the OP, I'm also having problems the the front brake on my 2018 S. Major brake chatter. The rotor eventually warped, was replaced under warranty, but the chatter is the same or worse with a new rotor. I don't know if the problem is a flawed front wheel or front brake pads.
How to proceed?
I paid a ton of money to be a semi-early adopter, and there truly is a lot to like about my Zero, but dragging out this brake issue is a huge waste of my limited time and a PITA, too. Kinda spoiling all the fun that makes the Zero worth the extra cost.

I think the problem is a wrong brake pad choice.  I would try a different set of pads.  My front brake squealed loudly as soon I bought the bike.  Picking up some auto brake pad anti-squeal compound at an auto accessory store and coating the back of the pads will cut the noise significantly. That is what I did and it helped.  However, I also bought a new set of pads and will give those a try some day.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »

Update:

I been going back and forth with Zero customer service department and they covered the claimed, it was a small claim $150, other than that that is it... they did not help me contacting the authorized dealership and help me the customer and owner with adjusting the warranty coverage period.

IMO I think it is pretty bad customer service... I was expecting Zero to contact the dealership, make them pay for this claim and any others (hopefully I don't have a more problems). I will adjust Zero's warranty system and matched it with my purchase date giving me the customer/owner a full 27 months warranty, that technically will expire on September 2019... a few months from now.

But...NO.. Zero's customer service washed their hands of the problem.... and pass it to the customer/owner to deal with their Authorized dealer... what a shame.

Like I told Zero, i will keep riding my motorcycle... enjoying it every chance that I get... but having doubts and really thinking about NOT buying a second Zero for my wife. An issue that will cost nothing to Zero (the dealer will pay for the claim) ... its potentially costing Zero a new motorcycle (my wife's) and a dissatisfied customer/owner.

I will post dealership information sometime next week... I have to contact them directly... I have been out of town... and I was hopping that Zero will do it.

Pages: 1 [2]