• April 28, 2024, 01:28:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Another Premature Belt Failure  (Read 2045 times)

alko

• View Profile
Re: Another Premature Belt Failure
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »

[/quote]

Actually it says

Replace belt:
- DSR: every 16K mi (25K km).
- S/SR/DS: every 24K mi (37K km).

I just had my 2nd belt failure with @ 19k miles on the belt (2016 DSR).
In my case I can't see the difference between a DSR & SR as I've kept it on the road with few exceptions.
Will change the belt proactively @ 16k to reduce these unplesent surprises.
[/quote]

That's strange! My owners manual doesn't show different intervals. I wonder if they changed the spec somewhere along the way. Maybe a heavier duty belt at some point. Good advise though. No point waiting till the last minute.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »

Does anyone regularly ride offroad with a belt?

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 01:27:19 AM »

I had to put my old 2008 KLR650 back into service for commuting while I wait for the new belt to come in.  I rode it to work today and hadn't been on the bike in almost two years.  The thing feels like a big, wallowing, slow, fat pig compared to my DSR.  I couldn't believe the difference.  And then there were the fumes and noise to deal with.  It really reinforced my position that I will never go back to an ICE bike for commuting.  I still have my Valkyrie for touring and longer trips, which I will never get rid of.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 02:38:26 AM »

I had to put my old 2008 KLR650 back into service for commuting while I wait for the new belt to come in.  I rode it to work today and hadn't been on the bike in almost two years.  The thing feels like a big, wallowing, slow, fat pig compared to my DSR.  I couldn't believe the difference.  And then there were the fumes and noise to deal with.  It really reinforced my position that I will never go back to an ICE bike for commuting.  I still have my Valkyrie for touring and longer trips, which I will never get rid of.

Haha, totally! I have to keep an ICE bike for long range dual sporting and another for adventure touring (Super Tenere). They are not often ridden, but when I do... man, so nasty and unrefined. Fortunately the effect only lasts a few minutes before it fades and feels natural again.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 04:40:00 AM »

I'm just happy "muscle memory" comes back so quickly for shifting/clutching work!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »

Yeah, only took a day to re-acclimate to the KLR.  I think she was just glad to be ridden again.  I still love the old girl, even if she is a pig.
Currently Owned Bikes:

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »

After 3 years of experience with different ZEROs, our conclusions are:

- wear is 1st depending on the throttle use. SR/DSR using full torque, narrow belt, last 10K km, S with eco ride last 25K km

- we haven't change any wide belt yet, low mileage. Sure it will last more..

- as we have very short highways, steady speed is not common, plus more dust so no narrow belt can last 40K km.

- I suggest any owner with no dealer nearby to get one spare belt. Changing it is not very complex, about 1 hour because of the swingarm removal.
ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 12:58:35 AM »

I finally got around to installing the new belt on my DSR.  Haven't taken it for a test ride yet, but I'm sure all is well.  Zero was gracious enough to cover the cost of the belt and then I installed it myself.

The procedure was fairy easy and straight forward.  The space between the frame and the front pulley where the swing arm needs to fit though was very tight so I had to coax the swing arm a little bit with a rubber mallet.

One watch out when removing and reinstalling the rear wheel.  There is a small rubber bushing that goes in the hub on the right side of the wheel.  I removed it and set it aside since I didn't want to lose it, but forgot to put it back in the wheel when I reinstalled it.  I thought something was wrong when the gap between the wheel and the swing arm seemed excessive.  Then I remembered the bushing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:47:23 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 01:11:10 AM »

The procedure was fairy easy and straight forward.  The space between the frame and the front pulley where the swing arm needs to fit though was very tight so I had to coax the swing arm a little bit with a rubber mallet.

Swingarm didn't have to come out ? Impressive! I wonder if they changed the dimensions there at some point, as I had to take it out on 2014 DS for belt replacement.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 02:04:55 AM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Yes, I had to remove the swing arm.  It was a tight fit to get the swing arm to slide past the frame and pulley so I had use a rubber mallet to help force it out.
Currently Owned Bikes:

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2019, 03:02:25 AM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Yes, I had to remove the swing arm.  It was a tight fit to get the swing arm to slide past the frame and pulley so I had use a rubber mallet to help force it out.

Ah, pity.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »

BamBam, which year & model has a rubber bushing?? My 2016 SR has a METAL spacer on the LEFT hand side...

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2019, 07:32:43 PM »

My mistake.  The rubber bushing goes on the left side of the hub.  The ABS sensor is on the right side.  It's a 2017 DSR.
Currently Owned Bikes:

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »

My mistake.  The rubber bushing goes on the left side of the hub.  The ABS sensor is on the right side.  It's a 2017 DSR.

I was going to comment on that too. The bushing on the left side is metal, not rubber.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »

I was going to comment on that too. The bushing on the left side is metal, not rubber.
Yes , it could very well be metal.  I was black so I assumed it was a hard rubber.  Also had my shop gloves on so hard to tell by feel.  It's Zero part #23-07489 referred to as a spacer.

The point is, it's easy to forget to reinstall the spacer it if it happens to fall out.

Edit:  BTW, commuted to work today for first time with the new belt.  I was surprised how quiet it was.  I thought I would have to go through the normal break in period to get rid of the usual new belt moans and groans, but it's pretty quiet right out of the box.  I'm going to be sure not to apply any kind of spray silicone to the new belt.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:59:46 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4