• April 28, 2024, 02:22:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Motor noise in mid-range RPMs - worth making a fuss over?  (Read 1687 times)

tyzbit

• View Profile
Re: Motor noise in mid-range RPMs - worth making a fuss over?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 07:23:30 AM »

I should have added that in a previous post.  Yes, my belt is aligned well, with 1mm from the edge and ± .2mm tolerance.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:29:34 AM by tyzbit »
2018 Zero SR + Charge Tank, TeslaTap

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 09:06:58 AM »

Search for "squeak". There are a lot of posts about squeaky brakes with use ideas you can try.

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »

Search for "squeak". There are a lot of posts about squeaky brakes with use ideas you can try.

Thanks.  I guess my immediate question that I haven't found in a search yet is what's the best way to figure out what's causing the noise?  Other than "start replacing things"?

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »

EBC FA208HH pads will stop that annoying squeak.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 04:34:11 AM »

I don't know if it's just the lighting but it looks like a seriously warped rotor.

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 05:45:08 AM »

I don't know if it's just the lighting but it looks like a seriously warped rotor.

What are you seeing that makes you say that?  There is some dust on the outer edge of the rotor that's spread inconsistently.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 11:41:12 AM »

What are you seeing that makes you say that?  There is some dust on the outer edge of the rotor that's spread inconsistently.

Ah. It's hard to see on my tiny phone screen while I'm in the middle of nowhere in Nepal. :)

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 07:30:15 PM »

What you might want to try is to take out the pads and apply some silicone grease to all of the metal to metal contacts points, including the back of the brake pad where it contacts the piston.  Also lube the brake pad guide pin.  Be careful not to get any lube on the brake pad surface.

You could also try grinding a small chamfer on the edge of the brake pad surface.

This should get rid of the squeal.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »

What you might want to try is to take out the pads and apply some silicone grease to all of the metal to metal contacts points, including the back of the brake pad where it contacts the piston.  Also lube the brake pad guide pin.  Be careful not to get any lube on the brake pad surface.

You could also try grinding a small chamfer on the edge of the brake pad surface.

This should get rid of the squeal.

Good ideas; I'm trying everything else before disassembling things but I'll try these next.

This weekend I tried bedding the brakes and it seemed to help quite a bit; the noise is less frequent and also when it does appear it's rather quiet (hard to differentiate between it and songbirds) so I'm gonna keep riding and use the rear brake a bit more heavily and see what happens.  Maybe it's just a part of breaking things in.  I didn't see anything about bedding the brakes or breaking them in on the Unofficial Manual (https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Common_Sounds#Brakes) but I might update it depending on how this goes.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 08:50:08 PM »

Good ideas; I'm trying everything else before disassembling things but I'll try these next.

Don't be intimidated about removing and reinstalling the rear pads.  It's a really simple procedure and you're going to have to do it sooner or later for maintenance.  All you have to do is remove the pin and the pads come right out.  Refer to the unofficial manual.

Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

ecavoli

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 06:38:58 AM »

Was about to adjust my belt tension and thought I'd ask just to make sure since it's my first time. Is there any reason I shouldn't adjust belt tension with the rear wheel on the ground, bike on sidestand)?
Thanks!

2017 FXS Modular

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 06:43:58 AM »

Was about to adjust my belt tension and thought I'd ask just to make sure since it's my first time. Is there any reason I shouldn't adjust belt tension with the rear wheel on the ground, bike on sidestand)?
Thanks!

It's easier with wheel off the ground, so you can spin the wheel to check allignment and tension. It always takes me a few times to get it just right.

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 07:23:41 AM »

Thanks!

It's easier with wheel off the ground, so you can spin the wheel to check allignment and tension. It always takes me a few times to get it just right.

Agreed, I also feel better knowing the axle was set without any uneven weight on it.  If you don't have one ecavoli, a stand was one of my immediate purchases after getting my bike seeing as how I'll be taking it back to the dealers for only the most involved procedures.  I got this stand and it works great: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0AB7MJ/.  I find if I set the bolt at the exact same spot as the toe part of the front brake, it raises the rear wheel, whereas putting the rear edge where the toe part is raises the front wheel.

ecavoli

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »

thanks guys.  Never needed a lift with previous bikes.  Good excuse to get a new tool!
2017 FXS Modular

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 06:54:57 PM »

thanks guys.  Never needed a lift with previous bikes.  Good excuse to get a new tool!

The bikes flat bottom makes a scissor lift very effective and safe. And since there is no place to install sliders on the bike, traditional sportbike lifts won't work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3