• April 28, 2024, 04:20:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Motor noise in mid-range RPMs - worth making a fuss over?  (Read 1685 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Motor noise in mid-range RPMs - worth making a fuss over?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »

A rear paddock stand is all you really need.  Most of the stands come with adapters which fit under the swing arm and allow you to raise the rear wheel without the need for sliders.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 07:50:34 PM »

A rear paddock stand is all you really need.  Most of the stands come with adapters which fit under the swing arm and allow you to raise the rear wheel without the need for sliders.
This would work out just as well; my only thinking is a scissor lift lets you operate on the front or rear wheels whereas with a rear paddock stand you'll need either another tool or to devise some way to get the front wheel off the ground.  Neither way is wrong.
2018 Zero SR + Charge Tank, TeslaTap

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 07:26:32 AM »

Final update on my original belt issue and the brake issue:

- Belt sound is much improved; there's like a "gear shifting" noise when going through the RPMs where it gets louder and softer at different speeds but it's faint and frankly, I think it's perfectly fine
- Brake issue was finally identified and resolved by spraying some silicone lubricant on the back of the brake pads.  Confirmed fixed over the last couple days by riding and checking in a nice, echo-y parking garage.

Thanks again everyone.
2018 Zero SR + Charge Tank, TeslaTap

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 07:42:50 AM »

Final update on my original belt issue and the brake issue:

- Belt sound is much improved; there's like a "gear shifting" noise when going through the RPMs where it gets louder and softer at different speeds but it's faint and frankly, I think it's perfectly fine
- Brake issue was finally identified and resolved by spraying some silicone lubricant on the back of the brake pads.  Confirmed fixed over the last couple days by riding and checking in a nice, echo-y parking garage.

Thanks again everyone.

Silicon is only a temporary fix, but they sell a brake squeal grease specifically for that. I'm glad everything worked out for,you.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 09:49:49 AM »

Was about to adjust my belt tension and thought I'd ask just to make sure since it's my first time. Is there any reason I shouldn't adjust belt tension with the rear wheel on the ground, bike on sidestand)?
Thanks!

It's easier with wheel off the ground, so you can spin the wheel to check allignment and tension. It always takes me a few times to get it just right.

I struggled with the tensioning procedure the first few times I adjusted my 2016 DSR so I came up with a procedure that might help others.

(20/30kg tension)
Jacking left screw(bolt) out (adding tension) moves the belt to the right.
Best to get the belt in the correct position (left/right) then adjust tension.
NOTE: Position belt with a right side biases as it will shift to the left when the axle bolt is tightened.     
Must use rolling head prybar to pry the right side towards its jack-screw (or just Smack the tire/rim in the desired direction)
NOTE: 1/6 turn of Left jack screw appears to cause a 10KG difference to tension.
If you don't have the correct MM socket (like me) use a 1-1/16" to tension axle nut to 102NM (75#/')

Recommend first removing the jack bolts & grinding or filing off the top so it's smooth to avoid gouging the soft aluminum swing arm.
Put a dapp of aintiseize or grease on the threads while your at it.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: 1 2 [3]