• April 29, 2024, 03:53:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Front wheel removal on a Zero S (2017)  (Read 413 times)

SebfromBE

• View Profile
Front wheel removal on a Zero S (2017)
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:43:08 AM »

Hi all,

Today I started first time front wheel removal on my Zero S (2017). This was to change my front tire after my first 12 000 km :-)

Anyway I started to follow the steps described in the unofficial manual teardown section:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Front_Wheel_Removal

Everything starts smooth, but I have after having removed the axle (basically when you are ready to remove the tire), I cannot retract the brake assembly enough to get it off the disc.... Hence I cannot continue.... Is there something stupid I somehow missed?

In the video in the link above it is done a DS 2016 and it seems either the disc looks smaller or the wheel bigger, but there is definetely enough space to retract the brake assembly... Is ther any trick?

Obviously one option would be to remove also the actual disc. But if possible I would rather aboid that... Screws there are very thight and if I can avoid wrapping the disc, I would prefer :-)

Thanks already fro your help!

Seb

alko

• View Profile
Re: Front wheel removal on a Zero S (2017)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:53:05 AM »

Its a dsr in the video, so yes it is a bigger 19" rim. You'll need to take your caliper off on the smaller wheel most likely. Or remove the brake pads from the caliper which is very simple. That should give you enough slop to maneuver the wheel away from caliper.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:13:23 AM by alko »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 03:06:50 AM »

On most motorcycles you can press the brake pads back into their caliper with just hand pressure, once you first remove the caliper mounting bolts. That should give you enough room to angle the caliper past the wheel rim.

It is easy to remove the brake pads and that will also work. But you need to first remove the retaining pin and its C-clip at the bottom of the caliper before the pads will drop out of the caliper.  Reinstalling the pads is the reverse of that process.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 05:20:27 AM »

Hi all,
Today I started first time front wheel removal on my Zero S (2017). This was to change my front tire after my first 12 000 km :-) ...
I'm 99% certain there's nothing different from removing the front wheel on a Zero than there is for other motorcycles. So, no special knowledge is needed -- anyone who know how to do this on a different bike should be able to help out. Also, any local bike shop should know what to do.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 07:43:08 AM »

On most motorcycles you can press the brake pads back into their caliper with just hand pressure, once you first remove the caliper mounting bolts. That should give you enough room to angle the caliper past the wheel rim.

It is easy to remove the brake pads and that will also work. But you need to first remove the retaining pin and its C-clip at the bottom of the caliper before the pads will drop out of the caliper.  Reinstalling the pads is the reverse of that process.

Be careful pressing the brake pads back, because the fluid goes back into the handlebar reservoir and will only hold a certain amount of fluid.

SebfromBE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »

Thanks all for inputs.

I know indeed it should be simpler (did it on my previous bikes as well as on the rear wheel).

Once finished I will update this thread. The specifics for the S models might still be nice to add to the manual.

carldev

• 2018 Zero S 7.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:54:05 PM »

The guy from NewZeroLand has a great video for those of us with S models
He had to fully remove the front caliper

-Carl

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »

Newzeroland videos are good, and entertaining for sure. If you just remove to pads, I don't think removing caliper is necessary.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »

I removed the front wheel of my 2014 S to replace the tire and never had to remove the fender.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

SebfromBE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »

As follow up,

I finally managed to release the caliper to free the front wheel.

Best solution so far:
- Press the pads so you get a bit play room around the disc
- Align the pad with one of the 'groove' shape on the disc => Slightly more space that makes it enough to remove gently the brake.

So In the end you just need to remove the 2 screws holding the brake block, and you are set!

Cheers,

Seb
Pages: [1]