• April 29, 2024, 04:53:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My local dealer is dropping Zero, alas  (Read 867 times)

heroto

• View Profile
My local dealer is dropping Zero, alas
« on: May 29, 2019, 05:12:28 AM »

Can’t blame them given the hassles they’ve had dealing with Zero. Too bad for me, I was ready to order an SR/F - but I don’t want to own one without a local dealer. I may sell my S as well.
Phooey.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:47:12 AM by heroto »

valnar

• View Profile
Re: My local dealer is dropping Zero, alas
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 05:29:09 AM »

What hassles?
Zero FXS 2020

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 05:31:58 AM »

That's a bummer, where are you located?

If my local dealers dropped Zero, I might consider selling mine as well.  I've got one an hour away, one 1.5 hours away and one 2.75 hours away, so I think I've got it covered.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 05:38:45 AM »

Jarrett, How do you make it to your dealers on a Zero?  ;D ;D

OK that's funny.  We can all laugh at that.
Zero FXS 2020

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 05:45:14 AM »

VERY slowly :)

Nah, I trailer/truck the FX.  Hoping someone will drop me off and I can ride the DSR home.

Would be funny if it ran out of juice though, hehe.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 07:19:09 AM »

That's pants. Do please tell us which dealer.

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »

My local dealer also gave up Zero this year (Searcy, AR). It was the only one in the state. I know I am taking a risk buying one with the next closest dealer 300 miles away but I’m doing it anyway:)

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »

Sorry that I'm being coy about which dealer, as the divorce is not final and I don't want to make this crash landing come any sooner. Rather, I'm hoping Zero will step up and fix the situation.
Zero makes a great product, or rather great product most of the time. I used to be skeptical when reading about owners with chronic unresolved or too-darned-slowly resolved issues, but now I know first hand that those cautionary tales are very real. I am not enjoying my time in the Kafka-esque Zero vortex. 10 dealer visits and counting. 
I'd rather have Zero direct some attention to my dealer and my moto's problem. Perhaps they are just too small, spread too thin, and running on a shoestring to deal with legitimate problem cases.

We have a lemon law in my state. I am loathe to use it, but I regret that I will pull that trigger soon. Without a doubt, Zero will have to buy back my moto. Not what I want, but better than the current situation.

Their motos are so much fun, it would take a lot to turn an owner off forever. They've done it before, and they are doing it again. They've turned this fanboy into a skeptic, one step away from hater. And I hate that.

If Zero put on big boy customer first pants instead of their stall stall stall ignore ignore ignore strategy, these sad but true stories would mostly vanish, including mine.  I truly would prefer to resume being a fanboy with an enthusiastic and active dealer in my affluent, medium sized east coast city, but Zero has dropped the ball.

Zero could learn a lot from LLBean.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:57:31 AM by heroto »

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »

I wonder if them dropping Zero has an impact on quickly your bike is being repaired.

Zero's support is a bit of a head scratcher for me.  In some cases, they are really on the ball and get people taken care of quickly, but in seemingly several other cases, they just leave customers high and dry, according to the forums, at least.  Its hard to decipher reality from fiction on the Internet though.

My first week of ownership, I needed a new battery in my 7.2 and they jumped and got it swapped out quickly. I think I was off the bike maybe a week or so.  The dealer was a big part of that pushing my bike to the front of the line for service as well.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »

To me it's almost always the dealer.  The shop owner may be into selling electric motorcycles but the mechanics in the back may see them as the threat they are to their jobs.  Do you want to be on the phone with a Zero tech for an hour trying to figure out whats wrong with one bike or do 3 oil changes and a brake job in that time.

Heroto I remember you had brake trouble, did they get that fixed?  That should have been basic motorcycle repair for those guys nothing different from ICE bikes for the brakes.

If they drop it your state won't have any dealers and it's a great one to ride in.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »

I think that a lot of the issues stem from the dealer side. My dealer was on the ball and never had a problem dealing with Zero. Warranty issues, questions, parts orders, etc. all handled in a timely fashion (typically less than a week). It may have helped that my friend ran the service dept. and helped me out repeatedly. The dealer still closed but had nothing to do with Zero. The other close giant multi brand dealership, including Zero, just folded. Seems like being an motorcycle enthusiast does not necessarily make you a good businessman.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »

My first Zero dealer, located in Daly City, had been selling Zeros since 2011. They sold me my 2012 S and were very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the brand and their bikes.  However, around 2016 the shop closed when the owner just got tired with dealing with the conflicting requirements of their Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha franchises agreements. (What really tipped the scales was the year that they sold more Zeros than Yamahas, which really pissed off Yamaha who then went to war with the shop.) So she gave up and sold the property to a Dollar Store and retired.  Much of her staff, including both sales people and their Zero tech, are now working at SF Moto and seem to be doing a good job of marketing, selling and maintaining Zeros.  So I agree that it is likely that many of the problems that owners are reporting with their Zeros probably have more to do with the dealership's staff than with Zero.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 09:31:33 PM »

My first Zero dealer, located in Daly City, had been selling Zeros since 2011.
Was that the shop that sold mostly Japanese bikes on the west side of Mission Street?

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 04:02:40 AM »

My first Zero dealer, located in Daly City, had been selling Zeros since 2011.
Was that the shop that sold mostly Japanese bikes on the west side of Mission Street?

-Don-  Reno, NV

Yes, that is the one.  The shop had been around for many years at that location.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 05:16:47 AM »

Yes, that is the one.  The shop had been around for many years at that location.
I was down at Elk Grove Power Sports a few  weeks ago. They still sell Zeros (where I purchased my 2017 Zero SR with Pwr tank), but no longer Moto-Guzzi because of "contractual disagreements" , whatever that means. They did NOT have a Zero SR/F when I was there. But the 14 different models of Moto Guzzi's that they no longer have was very noticeable to me.

Here in Reno, at Euro-cycles, they still sell both, Moto Guzzi as well as Zero (and they have a SR/F demo bike).

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X