• April 29, 2024, 10:48:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Whining about service..  (Read 1729 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Whining about service..
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »

I agree with MrBlc and valnar. This is one of the worst red herring arguments the haters give against BEVs. Paul Krugman would call it a "zombie argument"; no matter how many times it's killed, it keeps coming back.

Next we're going to hear the ole "EVs use coal as their fuel" argument trotted out again.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »

One other thing to think about:  Having 5 IC motorcycles and a 20-year old car, I can tell you that I go through a lot of motor oil every year.  I do give it to our local recycling yard, but I have no idea what they actually do with the old (and nasty) motor oil.  It is supposed to be recycled but the recycling (garbage) company never seems to say much about where that used oil finally ends up.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 08:21:19 PM »

One other thing to think about:  Having 5 IC motorcycles and a 20-year old car, I can tell you that I go through a lot of motor oil every year.  I do give it to our local recycling yard, but I have no idea what they actually do with the old (and nasty) motor oil.  It is supposed to be recycled but the recycling (garbage) company never seems to say much about where that used oil finally ends up.   ???

Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they use it to make asphalt and road tar.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 04:34:20 AM »

It can't really be used to make asphalt. The molecular weight is far too low, which is why its viscosity is so much lower than asphalt.

From what I've read, it's easily cleaned up, re-fortified with new additives and put back in action as new crankcase oil, and it costs a lot less to do that than refine new from petroleum. (I hear it's better oil, too, since it's been further 'refined' by use in the motor.) They don't charge for disposal at those collection sites because they make money on the old oil.

The forms of recycling which actually turn a profit for the recycler I don't worry about too much.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 05:54:40 AM »

From molecular weights to service concerns, this thread has it all!

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »

It can't really be used to make asphalt. The molecular weight is far too low, which is why its viscosity is so much lower than asphalt.

So can't make fuel for ICBMs either ? Shucks!

meark

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2019, 03:54:48 AM »

My local dealer is San Jose BMW.
I've been there many times (I used to live in San Mateo & Belmont and other places in the west bay area).

Does SJ BMW have a Zero mechanic at this time, or are they selling the bikes with nobody to service them, like here in Reno at this time?

-Don-  Reno, NV

They fixed my melted headlight at SJ BMW. They attempted to fix but couldn't get past the BMS. They will do mechanical type work, think they leave the electrical/battery issues to Zero.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:58:38 AM by meark »

meark

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2019, 03:55:38 AM »

Is it common to get loaner bikes from dealers when you bring one in for service? I figured the liability would be too great.

They said they have loaners for a day, but not extended service.

meark

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2019, 03:59:28 AM »

Got my DSR back today. Exactly 4 weeks to the day. Nice of them to deliver to my house. Unfortunately they dropped it off with a flat tire??? Guess they don't have an air compressor at Zero HQ? lol

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2019, 04:59:27 AM »

This made me literally lol :)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2019, 07:25:11 AM »

Got my DSR back today. Exactly 4 weeks to the day. Nice of them to deliver to my house.
Did they say what they found wrong with it?

-Don-  (Honey Lake Rest Area, CA)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X