• April 29, 2024, 10:40:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FX 7.2 Range Discussion  (Read 4920 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: FX 7.2 Range Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 09:11:26 PM »

Jarrett, if you want the posted range miles you need to maintain the "average speed" not go slow for a few miles and then whack it to 70mph.
It's 4X the energy to go 2X the speed.

Get on the bike and go 40MPH on back roads and NEVER go above 50MPH and see what it does.
You never get the range back after you spank it to 70.

And I know this isn't "fun" but it gets you the posted numbers that you seem to claim are not right.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:30 PM »

If you look at my longest ride on the chart, It's almost 71 miles at 26.3 mph with a max speed of 51.7.

I might have been able to hit 75-80 miles on that ride had I pushed it.  That ride was very similar to what you describe above. It was not a fun to be sure, it was basically a "see if I can make it" test. 

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »

I had a jump in range today and not sure why.  Historically, if I go ~30 mph, I get 60 miles.

Today at 31.6 mph average, I got 67.48 miles.  Weird.  Was glad to get it, just not sure why:

VampyreLegion

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »

Check your tire pressure, this can effect range and rolling.  I found my FX was low from the dealer, after adjusting to the correct pressure, I have noticed an increase in overall range and rolling / coasting goes much further.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 06:43:32 PM »

I had a jump in range today and not sure why.  Historically, if I go ~30 mph, I get 60 miles.

Today at 31.6 mph average, I got 67.48 miles.  Weird.  Was glad to get it, just not sure why:

Your answer is probably this: 

Jarrett, if you want the posted range miles you need to maintain the "average speed" not go slow for a few miles and then whack it to 70mph.
It's 4X the energy to go 2X the speed.

Get on the bike and go 40MPH on back roads and NEVER go above 50MPH and see what it does.
You never get the range back after you spank it to 70.

And I know this isn't "fun" but it gets you the posted numbers that you seem to claim are not right.

Your table doesn't provide enough data for a meaningful analysis.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 07:37:20 PM »

Check your tire pressure, this can effect range and rolling.  I found my FX was low from the dealer, after adjusting to the correct pressure, I have noticed an increase in overall range and rolling / coasting goes much further.
I do, thanks.

Your table doesn't provide enough data for a meaningful analysis.

It may not be great, but its all we got.

And it kinda does make sense based on what NEW2elec said.  If you look at the max speeds for each of ~60 mile rides, it sort of paints a picture. 

Basically, make your ride as boring as possible and you will get a few more miles.

I'm really looking forward to a break though in battery technology that makes these low mileage days something funny to think back on.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:43:01 PM by Jarrett »

LDG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 10:30:37 PM »

Maybe I missed it but what kind of range are you  guys getting off road. Like legit back roads and trails. It looks like most guys use there FX's as city bikes.  I ride my DS on single track but it's just a bit to heavy for some stuff.  I'd like to switch to a FX but don't see a lot of real data for off road.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 12:00:02 AM »

Maybe I missed it but what kind of range are you  guys getting off road. Like legit back roads and trails. It looks like most guys use there FX's as city bikes.  I ride my DS on single track but it's just a bit to heavy for some stuff.  I'd like to switch to a FX but don't see a lot of real data for off road.

My rides are mixed.  That 67 mile recently was around 70/30% off pavement.  But that's just dirt two track and gravel roads.

I haven't taken mine on any true single track so far, but I have it off pavement a lot.  It just depends what speeds you go and how much throttle you use, same as street.

If you ride like Graham Jarvis, its going to be a short trip.  If you grandma it, you can go 100 miles.

LDG

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 04:00:22 AM »

Old man Jarvis I am not!  Dudes a rock star.  The guys out here do some enduro races that are reasonably technical and can go for 3 hrs but at fairly slow speeds. I'll have to see what his a G speed is.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2019, 11:04:38 PM »

Jarrett, I wonder how much of that (disappointing) range is related to your weight?  I think you weigh more than me.  I'm 200# and trying to lose another 10.

I'd be curious if anyone has done the math on what affects range more - wind resistance of our oblong human frame or simply raw weight.
Zero FXS 2020

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 05:20:03 AM »

I'm curious too.  I wish there was someone else with the ability capture the same data so we could see.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »

I'd be curious if anyone has done the math on what affects range more - wind resistance of our oblong human frame or simply raw weight.

Dollars to doughnuts it's wind resistance.  From a theoretical physics perspective, weight will have a miniscule effect on range compared to drag. Of course, a heavier rider will almost always have a higher drag coefficient.  If you really want to isolate weight versus wind resistance, the best data would probably come from someone who can compare similar rides with hard luggage empty versus full.   Since most setups don't support a large amount of weight, I suspect that it would be difficult to distinguish a difference at all unless the rider has a lot of rides with consistent conditions.

ZEROCOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 11:08:33 PM »

Have been tracking my rides for my 2017 fxs 6.5 back to early 2017 I have a lot of data saved. Not fx 7.2 but just sharing that wind, outdoor temperature, tire pressure, riding position and how i'm being with throttle control greatly affect my rides.  like for all my tracked rides I try to ride each consistantly at the same speeds while not ever using more than 2 bars on power and 2 bars on torque I can usually  have 1 bar power and 2 bars torque  but if torque is flickering 3 bars I let off so torque only has 2 bars. The 2 bars each only seems to work up to 50 mph I pretty much have to get into 3 bars on torque to maintain speeds above 50. If im getting 3 bars on torque going to be down on battery meter at the end of ride.  Most all my longer tracked rides are up to 50 mph. For 1 of my rides 43 miles done in very similar conditions 78- 85 degrees 2-7 mph winds I should consistantly end the ride at 26% battery left. This ride has 30 35 40 45 and 50 mph parts. I have data points or waypoints along the route basically street signs I check my battery state of charge and range at. So for example at 14.7 miles 45th &stubbs I should be at 77% at 24.1 miles at 89th and stubbs I should be at 68% . Only works If I follow the exact same route and ride it exactly the same way each time and with the same conditions like temperature and wind. I set A to range and B is set to Trip 2 thats all I use no app just the dash.  battery meter, speedometer, range and Trip 2.  Many rides readings recorded with gopro or just an audio recorder and rever for tracking were I rode. So for me 6'4 230 things that affect my rides most tire pressure, outdoor temperature under 73 degrees and i get 22% or lower for my 43 mile ride. Wind over 7 mph  and I can have below 22% for my 43 mile ride. Mostly it's how smooth and consistant I am with throttle control not getting into 3 bars on torque. I only ride this way for rides i'm tracking ride the same route  any other time and it's all over the place, i'm just enjoying the ride i'm not tracking and riding smooth.
2017 Zero FXS, 2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R Black, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE, 2009 Yamaha YZF R1, 2006 Yamaha  YZF R6 Raven

Israel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 04:44:19 AM »

Wow, it's not even close.

Perhaps their test dummy weighed 95 pounds soaking wet.

OR the Zero Motorcycles marketing could be an outright fraud...?

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »

Have been tracking my rides for my 2017 fxs 6.5 back to early 2017 I have a lot of data saved. Not fx 7.2 but just sharing that wind, outdoor temperature, tire pressure, riding position and how i'm being with throttle control greatly affect my rides.  like for all my tracked rides I try to ride each consistantly at the same speeds while not ever using more than 2 bars on power and 2 bars on torque I can usually  have 1 bar power and 2 bars torque  but if torque is flickering 3 bars I let off so torque only has 2 bars. The 2 bars each only seems to work up to 50 mph I pretty much have to get into 3 bars on torque to maintain speeds above 50. If im getting 3 bars on torque going to be down on battery meter at the end of ride.  Most all my longer tracked rides are up to 50 mph. For 1 of my rides 43 miles done in very similar conditions 78- 85 degrees 2-7 mph winds I should consistantly end the ride at 26% battery left. This ride has 30 35 40 45 and 50 mph parts. I have data points or waypoints along the route basically street signs I check my battery state of charge and range at. So for example at 14.7 miles 45th &stubbs I should be at 77% at 24.1 miles at 89th and stubbs I should be at 68% . Only works If I follow the exact same route and ride it exactly the same way each time and with the same conditions like temperature and wind. I set A to range and B is set to Trip 2 thats all I use no app just the dash.  battery meter, speedometer, range and Trip 2.  Many rides readings recorded with gopro or just an audio recorder and rever for tracking were I rode. So for me 6'4 230 things that affect my rides most tire pressure, outdoor temperature under 73 degrees and i get 22% or lower for my 43 mile ride. Wind over 7 mph  and I can have below 22% for my 43 mile ride. Mostly it's how smooth and consistant I am with throttle control not getting into 3 bars on torque. I only ride this way for rides i'm tracking ride the same route  any other time and it's all over the place, i'm just enjoying the ride i'm not tracking and riding smooth.

That's some dedication right there. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3