• April 28, 2024, 02:10:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Severe battery degradation?  (Read 2317 times)

Michael11

• View Profile
Re: Severe battery degradation?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

One other question:

I am monitoring the pack Capacity, battery voltage and SOC now very carefully. During the last charging I wanted to monitor the end voltage after charging. I experienced a strange phenomenom: The voltage shown on the "Zero Voltage App" went up to 116.9 V, then the bike turned off, even though the charger was still emitting some 5-9A charging current.

I have never seen that before. Typically the bike remains on in charging mode until I unplug the 220V cable. Is this a new behaviour of the new firmware or is the charger defect and the bike turns off to protect the battery? (116.9V seemed pretty high to me)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:02:04 PM by Michael11 »

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »

Typically the bike remains on in charging mode until I unplug the 220V cable. Is this a new behaviour of the new firmware or is the charger defect and the bike turns off to protect the battery? (116.9V seemed pretty high to me)
There is nothing wrong.  That is the way the system is suppose to behave.  Earlier firmware versions had a glitch were the charging light would stay on when the bike was 100% charged.  You had to turn the key to on and then off to get the light to go out.  Looks like the new firmware update has corrected that.  My 2017 DSR still has the glitch.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 03:53:35 AM »

Typically the bike remains on in charging mode until I unplug the 220V cable. Is this a new behaviour of the new firmware or is the charger defect and the bike turns off to protect the battery? (116.9V seemed pretty high to me)
There is nothing wrong.  That is the way the system is suppose to behave.  Earlier firmware versions had a glitch were the charging light would stay on when the bike was 100% charged.  You had to turn the key to on and then off to get the light to go out.  Looks like the new firmware update has corrected that.  My 2017 DSR still has the glitch.

My 2018 S still has that glitch and it has all of the available MMB and BMS firmware installed. My dealer has no idea what to to about it and sending my logs to Zero via one of their customer service employees never elicited a response.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 06:54:31 AM »

I noticed that with my bike the light only stays on (and I assume the contactor also stays closed) when I charge to 100%.  If I charge to something less than that then the light goes out as it should.
Currently Owned Bikes:

Michael11

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »

I think, we are talking about different issues. You seem to be referring to a "glitch" that keeps the light on, even after the 220V cord is detached, right?

My experience with the old firmware was:
- Bike keyed off
- 220V cable attached
- bike turns on into charging mode: green like turns on and flashes, dash turns on and shows current SOC and remaining charging time
- when bike is 100% charged, green light stops flashing and stays on solid, dash keeps showing 100% and 0:00 time charging remaining
- when I then pull the 220V cable, the bike turns off

My experience with the new firmware is:
- Bike keyed off
- 220V cable attached
- bike turns on into charging mode: green like turns on and flashes, dash turns on and shows current SOC and remaining charging time
- when bike is 100% charged, BIKE TURNS OFF: green light off and dash off!
- when I then pull the 220V cable, nothing more happens (well, the bike is off already)
- when I reconnect the 220V cable, bike turns on again, goes into charging mode for a short time (less then one minute), then turns off again as before

That is a new behavior for me. Is that normal now?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 08:01:08 PM »

That sounds normal to me. 

In my case, with the key turned off, the 120V battery cable connected, the green light flashes while the bike is charging. The SOC is displayed, along with a very accurate time to a full charge also shows on the dash. 

When the bike is fully charged, the green light will stop flashing and remain steady.  When that happens, I have 10 minutes to pull the charging cord and then the contactor switch will click and the green light will go off.  However, if I wait more than 10 minutes before disconnecting the charging cord, the contactor will not click off and the green light will stay on.

To get it to turn off, I will have to turn on the ignition switch, then the contactor switch will click twice and the bike will be ready to go.  once I do that I can turn off the ignition switch and the contactor will click again and the green charging light will finally turn off.

If I do not go through that procedure and leave the charging light on, it will stay on until I start the bike again and will loose about 1% SOC each day.

So I make it a habit to always pull the charger cord as soon as the green light goes steady and if I miss doing so in time and the light will not go off, I will just turn on the ignition and then of again to bring my bike to a dormant state. Not a major deal, just irritating.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »

Agree, your bike is functioning normal.  Stop worrying and start riding!
Currently Owned Bikes:

alpha1511

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »

I update my firmware to MBB53 and BMS 43.
The zero software wouldn't let my bike update to MBB54 and BMS46 as their firmware web page shows.
The dealer is asking zero technician.

But after the update, the capacity AMPhrs shows 100 instead of 108.
And capacity kWhour shows 11.6 instead of 12.5.

I will try to discharge the battery to lower than 10%, and see if the reading back to normal...

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »

Is that Zero Voltage app available for apple products?  I didn't find it in the App Store.  I foolishly updated to the latest revision of the Zero app on my iphone recently, and a LOT of useful information is no longer available...annoying!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »

Is that Zero Voltage app available for apple products?  I didn't find it in the App Store.  I foolishly updated to the latest revision of the Zero app on my iphone recently, and a LOT of useful information is no longer available...annoying!

On Apple's App Store, the MFi program means that Apple will not let you distribute your application publicly unless the accessory manufacturer adds you to an approved partner list.

Zero, being an extremely risk averse company, does not want to endorse any third party apps for data collection. I tried. So, Android devices running data-logging apps are fair game but not iOS. I keep a crappy Android device for this purpose, but I never use it because it's really inconvenient and clunky.

https://mfi.apple.com/MFiWeb/getFAQ.action
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »

Android devices also allow you to revert to older versions of the Zero Application. You can find them here: https://apkpure.com/zero-motorcycles/com.ZeroMotorcycles/versions
I attach a file with the comparison of what is displayed by the last 4 versions (on my bike).

As suggested by BrianTRice, iPhone users could get a cheap Android phone just to get more info from their Zero  ;)

Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016
Pages: 1 [2]