• April 29, 2024, 04:36:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Decided Not to Get the SR/F  (Read 3303 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Decided Not to Get the SR/F
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »

Also, how does one turn  off the heated grips?  They were stuck on and nobody there could find a way to turn them off. So what is the procedure for turning the heated grips  off and on, as no switch is labeled as such that we could fine.

I get the feeling this bike will have some bugs as do most new year models.

The heated grips are software-controlled through the 4-way toggle switch on the left handlebar. The Owner's Manual describes how to do it better than I can explain, and I think it's one of those interaction mechanisms that has to be practiced into muscle memory to work well.

I agree that the SR/F model will likely have teething issues with the new systems, but I'll reiterate that the platform-level changes should make this bike easier and faster to service than prior models (aside from the time to get replacement parts).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2019, 04:35:14 AM »

The heated grips are software-controlled through the 4-way toggle switch on the left handlebar. The Owner's Manual describes how to do it better than I can explain, and I think it's one of those interaction mechanisms that has to be practiced into muscle memory to work well.
That was my guess, but no matter what I did with that switch, I could not get the heated grip icon to go away and I could still feel the heat on my hands.

I will probably be able to go on a test ride the next time I am there. Their main Zero guy was not working today, but should be back by the end of the week.

I like all the charge cables that come with the bike and the storage space it has in the fake tank, where these cables are located. I was told that they have the 12KW charger on this bike.

If things worked out better today, I could have been riding that bike home if they could sell it to me.  I was surprised that they even had the SR/F there. There is still a fairly good chance I will end up with one. Looks like it will be the perfect bike for me to go between my Auburn and Reno homes. I can charge at the summit, which is half way.

I really went there to see if my DS ZF 6.5 could get the MBB firmware update, but even for that, I had to schedule an appointment.

BTW, do you know if they have saddlebags and a travel trunk available for the SR/F?

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2019, 04:47:30 AM »

When I exchanged emails with Zero a couple of weeks ago they said hard luggage (side and top cases) would be later this year.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2019, 05:13:16 AM »

I scrolled through a few menus as well and didn't see grip warmers listed.

I'm sure its there, I just didn't spend time looking for it.  I feel like there are going to be gremlins in the new tech on the bike.

Did someone compare the DSR to the NC750X performance wise?  I'm sure its no comparison.  I think a DS would run off and leave the NC750X as well.

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »

They're similar battery capacities, actually. Zero's marketing number is 14.4kWh which turns into 11.62kWh nominal. Energica's nominal listing is 11.7kWh.
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/ lists 12.6kWh nominal.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »

I'm sure its there, I just didn't spend time looking for it.  I feel like there are going to be gremlins in the new tech on the bike.
I see the Owner's Manual here gives the instructions for the heated grips on page 3-12.  I think the SR/F I looked at had some serious bugs, as I could not even get to the menus and several others there could not figure it out there either. I figure it cannot be that user unfriendly so there was probably something wrong with the bike besides the horn.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2019, 05:13:38 PM »

The demo I rode froze a couple of times when I got into the menu and I had to power the bike off/on to get everything going again.  After that, I quit messing with the dash and just focused on the ride, which was a blast.

I'm starting to suspect that something has gone wrong with the SR/F's and that's why no one is seeing any.  My theory is Zero is scrambling to fix something before sending out the prod bikes.  I could be completely wrong, but looking back through everything that has happened so far (demo bugs, ever shifting delivery dates, owner emails, gift kits, etc.) it is starting to look that way.

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2019, 03:38:23 PM »

Did someone compare the DSR to the NC750X performance wise?  I'm sure its no comparison.  I think a DS would run off and leave the NC750X as well.

I did own and sold a 2015 DS and now have NC750 X DCT.  What would you like to know?
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2019, 09:12:07 PM »

I've got a NC700X and an FX and have ridden the DS, DSR and SR/F.  I don't have any questions.

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2019, 01:03:34 AM »

Ah, sorry. I think I misunderstood.
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2019, 06:30:47 AM »

I guess you have lots of used Zeros in your area.  I don't.

Hey, how does the SR compare in size/ergonomics to the CB500X?
"I guess you have lots of used Zeros in your area.  I don't."
Before I found the local bike I found something similar 1500 miles away, and was prepared to buy and have it shipped. Of course, you have to trust the seller, or take a weekend off to fly/drive to actually see the bike. (I thought the bike was a good enough deal that I'd been willing to spend up to a grand to fly out and check the bike in person before buying.)

SR and  CB500X are such different bikes that they're hard to compare. I bought the 500X for camping -- not necessarily long distance touring, but because there aren't any charging stations (that I know of) in national forests. Though I've also ridden the 500X 700 miles (each way) from northern CA to Oregon. Ergonomics, on the CB500X you sit much more upright. I know some riders don't like the "sport" position of the SR. This has never bothered me at all -- but I spend at least as many miles on a bicycle as I do on either of my motos, so for me the upright position on the 500X seems a bit un-natural. (Also there's that annoying clutch thingy.)
 Finally, I have these 37L side cases on the 500X: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-trekker-outback-37-liter-side-cases which are totally bad-a*s. Almost finally, I can carry my bicycle on the 500X ( https://2x2cycles.com/ ). I was told (on this forum or some other) these racks are now available for Zeros -- but I'm skeptical that the Zero racks are beefy enough.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next generation of SR/Fs -- one with a fairing (increase mileage by at least 20%), and/or break-through in battery technology, and/or fast charging. I also want a pet unicorn.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2019, 06:42:37 AM »

Pet unicorns sound like fun.  ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]