• June 17, 2024, 03:27:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: SR/F observations and questions  (Read 7071 times)

ZeroBrian

• Charging Forward!
    • View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
Re: SR/F observations and questions
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »

I saw it cancel itself in one of the ride review videos.  It takes about 1 minute for it to happen.  Also you have to be moving forward for that minute being that it how it senses when to turn it off.  So it is either a bug in the software why it is not cancelling or wasn't left on for over a minute while moving.
Left on for much more than a minute. Tried this several times yesterday and under different lean in turns. Nothing, had to cancel manually. I have put over 300 miles on the bike at this time almost all city and country back roads. Also have had two software update and still no self cancelling!

All (SR/F) bikes have self-cancelling turn signals.  It is not a time-based cancelling, it's distance and does not look at lean angle to detect the turn (at the time of this writing).  The feature is aimed to prevent running down the highway/freeway with your turn signal on after a merge with traffic.  The feature is not aimed to be used to replace manual cancelling around town.  It's a safety net. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:20:42 AM by ZeroBrian »
VP of Product Development

2020 Zero SR/F, Boardwalk Red, Premium

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2019, 06:00:09 AM »

I saw it cancel itself in one of the ride review videos.  It takes about 1 minute for it to happen.  Also you have to be moving forward for that minute being that it how it senses when to turn it off.  So it is either a bug in the software why it is not cancelling or wasn't left on for over a minute while moving.
Left on for much more than a minute. Tried this several times yesterday and under different lean in turns. Nothing, had to cancel manually. I have put over 300 miles on the bike at this time almost all city and country back roads. Also have had two software update and still no self cancelling!

All bikes have self-cancelling turn signals.  It is not a time-based cancelling, it's distance and does not look at lean angle to detect the turn (at the time of this writing).  The feature is aimed to prevent running down the highway/freeway with your turn signal on after a merge with traffic.  The feature is not aimed to be used to replace manual cancelling around town.  It's a safety net.

I've never had a bike with self-cancelling signals and ive been riding 30 years. Seems my 2017 dsr signals will stay on for days if i never canceled them. Lol

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2019, 07:30:22 AM »

I just came back from Elk Grove PowerSports (south of Sacramento, CA) I rode my SR there and I am now on my way  back to Auburn.

Anyway, they have the red standard model. They now tell me that this is the only one they have (I was previously told they had two by another sales guy).

Anyway, I took a closer look at the bike this time. It looks like the belt will be very easy to change on the SR/F. Plenty of room by the motor, nothing in the way. Looks like all that has to be done  is a rear wheel removal to change the belt.

-Don-  (now re-charging in Rocklin, CA)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »

Today, I tested the self cancelling turn signal feature on my SR/F and it works just fine.
I was going steady at about 40 mph and turned the left turn on and kept going straight.
I did not time it but it felt close to a minute, maybe a bit less and it was off, like magic.

So, the feature works, probably on most of them.
Wonder if there is a hardware failure on the timer that is responsible for counting up to a minute to turn it off?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:43:39 AM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »

Got my SR/F Premium on Monday, Traded my 2016 DSR for it.  Some initial observations/comparisons.  First my power use on two commutes is about the same as my DSR (13K vs 14.4K battery).  Handling is way better on the SR/F, I am way more confident in turns.  Highway is also night and day better on the SR/F, extra weight, size and more rubber, way less buffeting, even without a windscreen (my DSR had a Mad Stad Shield).  I like the SR/F seat better than the Corbin or Stock seats on the DSR on the commute.  I think acceleration feels similar between the two.  I never really found the DSR lacking there, and the additional weight on the SR/F seems to somewhat minimize the feel of the extra torque (but there is more than enough!).  I did not realize I needed cruise control, but I do, I used it a bunch on my first two commutes (100mi round trip).  So far, very, very happy with the trade offs, I never rode in the dirt anyway with the DSR, and with traction control, gravel should not be a problem on the SR/F and that's about as far as I go. 

Oh, and I was surprised that the riding position on the SR/F has not bothered me at all, I was concerned that the forward lean and extra leg tuck would bother me, but nope, at least not yet.  I tend to have problems with my hands going to sleep on the DSR, I've not noticed that problem yet with the SR/F.  I like the lower seating position as well on the SR/F, my feet are really solid on the ground on both sides flat footed, it feels good.  I am 6'1" and on the DSR I always had a little bend on the angles when having both feet down at a stop.

I love this bike.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:56:30 PM by stevenh »
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2019, 05:53:24 PM »

Got my SR/F Premium on Monday, Traded my 2016 DSR for it.  Some initial observations/comparisons.  First my power use on two commutes is about the same as my DSR (13K vs 14.4K battery).  Handling is way better on the SR/F, I am way more confident in turns.  Highway is also night and day better on the SR/F, extra weight, size and more rubber, way less buffeting, even without a windscreen (my DSR had a Mad Stad Shield).  I like the SR/F seat better than the Corbin or Stock seats on the DSR on the commute.  I think acceleration feels similar between the two.  I never really found the DSR lacking there, and the additional weight on the SR/F seems to somewhat minimize the feel of the extra torque (but there is more than enough!).  I did not realize I needed cruise control, but I do, I used it a bunch on my first two commutes (100mi round trip).  So far, very, very happy with the trade offs, I never rode in the dirt anyway with the DSR, and with traction control, gravel should not be a problem on the SR/F and that's about as far as I go. 

Oh, and I was surprised that the riding position on the SR/F has not bothered me at all, I was concerned that the forward lean and extra leg tuck would bother me, but nope, at least not yet.  I tend to have problems with my hands going to sleep on the DSR, I've not noticed that problem yet with the SR/F.  I like the lower seating position as well on the SR/F, my feet are really solid on the ground on both sides flat footed, it feels good.  I am 6'1" and on the DSR I always had a little bend on the angles when having both feet down at a stop.

I love this bike.

Steve

That is great, Steve!
I do like mine too and it is getting better as I put some miles on it: The growl is almost gone (not sure if it was the belt too tight) but the noise is definitely getting better.
Also, the rear brake has more stopping power now.

I am toying with the idea of replacing the handlebar to get a posture a bit more vertical but haven't decided yet. It will be a lot of work to get the wires extended and I don't want to do a crappy job.

By the way, can you report about the tank lid gap on your bike? This thread has pictures and lots of info on it:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9114.0

I am just dying to know if Zero corrected that design flaw that affected all early deliveries including dealer demos (mine is one of them).

Thanks a bunch
2020 Zero SR/F

TireFryer426

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2019, 08:19:51 PM »

I just took delivery last Friday.  The gap is still there.  But it doesn't bother me that much.  No one that has seen the bike has even noticed it.
I had the tank apart doing a vinyl wrap, I looked at the mechanism while I had it off.  There really isn't a good way to DIY fix it.

I've got about 250 miles on mine so far.  Absolutely *love* the bike.  I did find the limits of what the battery will tolerate as far as heat.  I took delivery the next major city over.  So my first ride was 65 miles of mostly 75mph highway.  I went pretty easy on it until I got close to home.  When i knew I was fine on battery I started doing full throttle pulls.  I got home with about 18 percent left.  Threw it on the charger for about 15 minutes so my dad could go ride it.  After he was done having fun, I put it back on the charger for about a half an hour.  It was charging at 6kw, and when I disconnected the battery was right at the edge of its thermal limit.  Ambient temp was 95+ degrees.  After about a half hour of sitting it was ready to go.
Girlfriend and I went for about a half hour ride on it.

The ability to schedule charge times and SoC target directly on the bike is really slick.  Plug it in when I'm done riding, it starts charging at 2am, is done by 4am, ready to go in the morning.  I was trying to do the scheduling from the charger, which makes the screen stay on.  So its definitely better to run the schedules from the bike.  I haven't used the wall outlet charger that came with the bike yet.  The iPhone app is a little chatty.  Had to turn notifications completely off, otherwise it wakes me up every time the charging starts and stops.  I'd honestly say if there is one thing that could use improvement, thats it.  Its definitely fun to see that 250 miles has cost a staggering $3 in electricity.

Same thing someone else pointed out, as the bike breaks in, the belt growl is getting much better.  Dealer told me to make sure I check tension a few times during the first few hundred miles and tighten if needed.

Its fun to ride.  It definitely gets some looks when people hear it.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »

I just took delivery last Friday.  The gap is still there.  But it doesn't bother me that much.  No one that has seen the bike has even noticed it.
I had the tank apart doing a vinyl wrap, I looked at the mechanism while I had it off.  There really isn't a good way to DIY fix it.

I've got about 250 miles on mine so far.  Absolutely *love* the bike.  I did find the limits of what the battery will tolerate as far as heat.  I took delivery the next major city over.  So my first ride was 65 miles of mostly 75mph highway.  I went pretty easy on it until I got close to home.  When i knew I was fine on battery I started doing full throttle pulls.  I got home with about 18 percent left.  Threw it on the charger for about 15 minutes so my dad could go ride it.  After he was done having fun, I put it back on the charger for about a half an hour.  It was charging at 6kw, and when I disconnected the battery was right at the edge of its thermal limit.  Ambient temp was 95+ degrees.  After about a half hour of sitting it was ready to go.

The ability to schedule charge times and SoC target directly on the bike is really slick.  Plug it in when I'm done riding, it starts charging at 2am, is done by 4am, ready to go in the morning.  I was trying to do the scheduling from the charger, which makes the screen stay on.  So its definitely better to run the schedules from the bike.  I haven't used the wall outlet charger that came with the bike yet.  The iPhone app is a little chatty.  Had to turn notifications completely off, otherwise it wakes me up every time the charging starts and stops.  I'd honestly say if there is one thing that could use improvement, thats it.  Its definitely fun to see that 250 miles has cost a staggering $3 in electricity.

Same thing someone else pointed out, as the bike breaks in, the belt growl is getting much better.  Dealer told me to make sure I check tension a few times during the first few hundred miles and tighten if needed.

Thanks for the update, TireFryer!
I see the factory has not yet updated the part(s) to fix the gap issue. It is not a show-stopper but it would be nice to eliminate it.
I too removed the tank and actually made some reversible modifications in an attempt to lower the lid. I succeeded but the 2 pointy ends of the lid (facing forward) got in the way and rubbed against the other side when opening it and I gave up and put it back the way it was.
Now, if I cut a bit of those tips and reshape them, it would actually work but then when closed (as it is just about all the time) the gap at said tips would be wider than they are pre-modification.
So, I decided to wait. As you pointed out, people don't seem to notice.

As for the belt, yes, mine is making less growl now as I put more miles on it and suspension is a bit softer too.
The only other thing that could use some improvement is the kickstand: it was a little bit too short for my liking so I built a bootie from aircraft grade aluminum I had left over from an old project and now is 7/8 of an inch longer, providing the correct amount of leaning.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:03:16 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:33 PM »

Thanks for the update, TireFryer!
I see the factory has not yet updated the part(s) to fix the gap issue. It is not a show-stopper but it would be nice to eliminate it.
I too removed the tank and actually made some reversible modifications in an attempt to lower the lid. I succeeded but the 2 pointy ends of the lid (facing forward) got in the way and rubbed against the other side when opening it and I gave up and put it back the way it was.
Now, if I cut a bit of those tips and reshape them, it would actually work but then when closed (as it is just about all the time) the gap at said tips would be wider than they are pre-modification.
So, I decided to wait. As you pointed out, people don't seem to notice.

As for the belt, yes, mine is making less growl now as I put more miles on it and suspension is a bit softer too.
The only other thing that could use some improvement is the kickstand: it was a little bit too short for my liking so I built a bootie from aircraft grade aluminum I had left over from an old project and now is 7/8 of an inch longer, providing the correct amount of leaning.

I forgot to mention, the ride is a little hard to my liking.  I was going to investigate softening up the suspension a bit.  I've never messed with stock settings on my bikes suspension, it may be a good time to start!

My tank has the same issue.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2019, 10:30:47 PM »

I forgot to mention, the ride is a little hard to my liking.  I was going to investigate softening up the suspension a bit.  I've never messed with stock settings on my bikes suspension, it may be a good time to start!

Steve

Here is the deal on the suspension: I was ready to tweak it on mine and someone told me they had seen some softening on his after some mileage, so I decided to wait and see.
Sure enough, it gets softer after some riding.
Now, the manual says they leave the factory calibrated for a 200 lbs rider (all suited up) and if you are significantly more or less, you might want to change it to suit you right away but if you are not too far from this number, you might want to wait intil you have a few hundred miles on it.
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:03 PM »

Steve

Here is the deal on the suspension: I was ready to tweak it on mine and someone told me they had seen some softening on his after some mileage, so I decided to wait and see.
Sure enough, it gets softer after some riding.
Now, the manual says they leave the factory calibrated for a 200 lbs rider (all suited up) and if you are significantly more or less, you might want to change it to suit you right away but if you are not too far from this number, you might want to wait intil you have a few hundred miles on it.

Cool.  As luck would have it, I am 210 geared up (close enough!).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

TireFryer426

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 12:26:01 AM »

Can also confirm, the suspension does soften up.  I think I've seen 500 miles for full break in tossed around.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »

Just an FYI, looks like the log format on the SR/F is no longer compatible with the online parser.  Not a huge surprise given the platform changes.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2019, 01:21:22 AM »

Pretty accurate and fair first ride review of the Zero SR/F: https://www.cycleworld.com/2020-zero-sr-f-electric-motorcycle-first-ride/

(The only thing I caught that wasn't completely accurate is the 1 hour charge time...that's only if you have the Premium with the additional 6kw Rapid Charger and even then you need a 12kw Level 2 charger to achieve that)
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2019, 01:55:27 AM »

Pretty accurate and fair first ride review of the Zero SR/F: https://www.cycleworld.com/2020-zero-sr-f-electric-motorcycle-first-ride/

(The only thing I caught that wasn't completely accurate is the 1 hour charge time...that's only if you have the Premium with the additional 6kw Rapid Charger and even then you need a 12kw Level 2 charger to achieve that)
What happens when the 12 KW charger is plugged into a 8 KW max J-1772?

Does the station trip or is there something in there to drop the current to whatever it can handle?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X