• April 28, 2024, 04:45:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Considering getting a Quick Charger from Zero  (Read 3263 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Considering getting a Quick Charger from Zero
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 08:02:26 PM »

The video was showing an Elcon option but the main purpose was to show where the Andersen plug was on a FXS.
I had called Hollywood Electrics a while back and asked about Elcons and Diginows and was told to go with the charge tank option since it is now better than it was in 2017.  That wasn't really what I wanted to hear but that was their opinion at the time. 

As for the Elcons they come up for sale from time to time on here and Ebay as people do go with the Diginows and charge tank options.
Do note that the Elcons had some water resistance but the Zero Quiq chargers do not and should only be used under covered locations.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 12:08:09 AM »

The Zero Quick Chargers should be ingress rated IP65 which makes them reasonable to use in the weather, and I’ve heard of no failures of them.

Do you have information I don’t? Or remember a report that I don’t.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 07:03:55 AM »

Nope, no report.  I seem to remember years ago, pre HE Elcons someone on here had mounted one on the side and had trouble.  The elcons were said to be more weather resistant and of course were more powerful and became the choice for the touring crowd.
If you say they are fine for use in the rain then people can go with that.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 07:24:48 AM »

It is the same basic design as observed on the earlier 2.5 kW charge tanks. It may be the same product but is possibly a variant in some way. Whatever an OEM like Zero orders probably has additional QA and customizations.

I believe this generic model been tested by a few people with a Zero. Make sure it’s programmed for the Zero voltage range, and also it won’t trigger charge enable circuitry on its own.
If it does, what happens, and how is that prevented?

I hear some of these Ev chargers can easily run different programs. I would like to see if I can program it somehow to  charge to 60% SOC (103 Volts) as well as 100% (116.2 VDC) somehow.

I really have no experience with these aftermarket EV chargers (yet). A bit more complicated than I expected, when I read about some of the EV chargers.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »

Yeah, that's a fair recommendation - the Delta-Q QuiQ 1000 charger is rated at IP66:
https://delta-q.com/product/quiq-1000-industrial-battery-charger/

The Elcon PFC 2500 is only rated for IP46, though:
https://www.elconchargers.com/catalog/item/7344653/7638094.htm

IP66 means dust-tight and for water means "powerful water jets" per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code, but IP rating is determined by a lab and is not a long-term "for the life of the component" test. So you could subject it to it sometimes and it's tested for that, but riding a motorcycle at high speed with an exposed charger is beyond that test.

At least shroud the charger to ablate direct rain impact, but most owners seem to be placing one in each Givi 21L side case.

IP68 is preferable if you can get it, but pricier, and DigiNow says their equipment is rated IP67 per the lab test.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 07:42:59 AM »

It is the same basic design as observed on the earlier 2.5 kW charge tanks. It may be the same product but is possibly a variant in some way. Whatever an OEM like Zero orders probably has additional QA and customizations.

I believe this generic model been tested by a few people with a Zero. Make sure it’s programmed for the Zero voltage range, and also it won’t trigger charge enable circuitry on its own.

I hear some of these Ev chargers can easily run different programs. I would like to see if I can program it somehow to  charge to 60% SOC (103 Volts) as well as 100% (116.2 VDC) somehow.

I really have no experience with these aftermarket EV chargers (yet). A bit more complicated than I expected, when I read about some of the EV chargers.

This bothers me: If you fish around for a "deal" in aftermarket chargers, but intend to program a charger against your Zero with its extremely expensive battery and onboard systems, I have to assume you're just not prepared to pay for someone's valuable time, because it'll take quite some reading and experimentation and time to confirm a reasonably-safe basic result.

The 2.5kW PFC charger linked above at EVWest has a programmable interface by USB-to-serial, so it's a lot like the MBB or other embedded device firmware customization, just particular to charger controller operation.

The programming for these chargers varies considerably, but the very basic elements one can expect are that you're taking a CC-CV charger and changing the parameters in which that operates. BUT you need to ask the vendor specifically whether what you're buying will work fine in the voltage range of the Zero first, and then you go in and set the target voltage for 100% SoC or 80% SoC or whatever.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:48 AM »

If it does, what happens, and how is that prevented?

I think you've misinterpreted what I was trying to communicate:

What I mean is the "communication" that Zero uses over the Accessory Charging Port signal pins for the external charger to indicate that it is present (100kOhm load, more or less, rated for full 116V).

This is what makes sure that when you key the bike off, the bike stays in charge mode even if/when the onboard charger turns off.

And I should be clear that applying a charger to a bike with the contactor open has at least a risk of burning out the BMS' precharge circuit and rendering your bike inoperable. So it's actually kind of important if you want to use a charger casually ("fire and forget") that it communicate with the bike like this, or over CANBus, or that you keep the bike keyed on and prevent it from going to sleep after 30 minutes (which it will do without input).

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 07:58:31 AM »

This bothers me: If you fish around for a "deal" in aftermarket chargers, but intend to program a charger against your Zero with its extremely expensive battery and onboard systems, I have to assume you're just not prepared to pay for someone's valuable time, because it'll take quite some reading and experimentation and time to confirm a reasonably-safe basic result.

The 2.5kW PFC charger linked above at EVWest has a programmable interface by USB-to-serial, so it's a lot like the MBB or other embedded device firmware customization, just particular to charger controller operation.

The programming for these chargers varies considerably, but the very basic elements one can expect are that you're taking a CC-CV charger and changing the parameters in which that operates. BUT you need to ask the vendor specifically whether what you're buying will work fine in the voltage range of the Zero first, and then you go in and set the target voltage for 100% SoC or 80% SoC or whatever.
I won't jump into anything until I am sure of all the facts. I am now just trying to learn a bit about EV chargers as well as the bike. I know I have a ways to go to understand it all.

I have made no decisions on anything yet.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

PittCaleb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 11:06:32 PM »

Bottom line is yes, it will work, with or without the on-board. Just remember to turn the bike on and off after the QC is  first connected if you're not using the  on-board.

If the on-board charger fails, and you need to turn the key to use this off-board charger, do the lights turn on?  Is there a way to disable?  Is it healthy to have them on in the garage, or hot sun, for hours on end?

PittCaleb

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 11:15:16 PM »

If the on-board charger fails, and you need to turn the key to use this off-board charger, do the lights turn on?  Is there a way to disable?  Is it healthy to have them on in the garage, or hot sun, for hours on end?

PittCaleb
You connect up the QC and then:

0. Bike is in alarm.
1. Turn on key for a few seconds.
2. Turn OFF key and leave it off. Alarm is gone.
3.Now it will start  charging.

IOW, the bike is OFF while charging.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 11:38:54 PM »

I have sent a few emails to Elcon WRT all this. They say perhaps the best way is to only charge to 90% SOC (112 VDC max) with their charger and then let the onboard take over for the last ten percent, for both safety and battery balancing. This will require no CANBUS signal from the bike.

But they say they can also build one that works with the bike's CANBUS that will charge to 100%.

I should soon  be getting more emails from them.

BTW, I went down to their place in Sacramento. A rather dumpy building in a dumpy area, but they say it's very rare for them  to get any walk-in customers and they really have nothing there to see.

BTW, there are 20 J-1772's (ChargePoint) just across the street at the CA Lotto Building (rather large building with a large parking lot).

Around half of them (ten) were in use.

Any comments on the charging to 90% SOC?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X