• April 27, 2024, 10:58:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alex's Rebuild Thread - 2014 SR  (Read 1887 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Alex's Rebuild Thread - 2014 SR
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 03:30:47 AM »

I recently got a 14 SR swingarm from Harlan at Hollywood Electrics.  I know the newer swingarms are different in:

(1) shocks, like you noticed

(2) 2016+ wheels have room for rotation sensor, for the ABS system I think, there's probably an attachment point for that.

As far as your question about 14 SR that have been wrecked, I do know there was an investigator looking for a 14 SR to run a test on, a few months back, relating to a fatality or an injury, in the Bay Area, maybe yours is that one.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 04:21:15 AM »

This bike is back together!  No lower plastics on yet...  The front chin was held on by screws to the last frame, but this one appears to use a plastic clip pushed into the hole.

But that didn't stop me from a test ride this morning.  First just a quick trip around some 25 streets, then around the airport with one good pull in sport mode.   :D puts a big smile on my face. This bike performs beyond my expectations, what a thrill.
'14 Nissan Leaf SL; 2014 Zero SR 11.4; '81 Yamaha SR500

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 04:22:34 AM »

I really appreciate your sharing of the project and detailed descriptions. Sounds like great fun!

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »

So I have the title inspection scheduled for Monday afternoon.  It's ~68 miles away, so I will need to charge for a couple hours and take it slow on the trip.  I still don't have the right clip to hold the front chin on to the frame, and that will provide a *little* bit of help with aero and range.  Means I need to swing by the dealer this weekend because they actually have this in stock.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 09:08:02 AM »

Hey Pyromancy, nice work! I had done this exact same thing in October 2017 but chickened out. I bought a wrecked 2016 SR with similar damage for a STEAL (with the intent on repairing) but ended up selling the battery for a considerable sum as I had also bought a truck at that auction and was a bit worried at all the money flying out the door on my trip across the country to get it. Even contacted the former owner afterwards to make sure he was okay (found a receipt in tankbag). Thanks to the unofficial manual and a ton of research I felt comfortable risking any of this in the first place.

Glad to see someone actually doing it and breathing new life into these parts.

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »

Hey Pyromancy, nice work! I had done this exact same thing in October 2017 but chickened out. I bought a wrecked 2016 SR with similar damage for a STEAL (with the intent on repairing) but ended up selling the battery for a considerable sum as I had also bought a truck at that auction and was a bit worried at all the money flying out the door on my trip across the country to get it. Even contacted the former owner afterwards to make sure he was okay (found a receipt in tankbag). Thanks to the unofficial manual and a ton of research I felt comfortable risking any of this in the first place.

Glad to see someone actually doing it and breathing new life into these parts.

Hey Talon, Well I hope your truck worked out OK.  What did you get your wrecked SR for? I paid 2300 for this one.  2016 would have been nice, I do like the upgraded brakes and shocks.  Do you still have parts?

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 08:08:00 AM »

I do still have parts. I won the bid at $2900 or so back then, but auction fees and no dealer license to operate on ended up netting me almost $1000 in fees if I remember correctly. That came as a surprise as it was all in the fine print and not very clear up front. Part of what steered me towards selling (just the powertrain) for close to $7k (decent price) for an airplane conversion. Yes, I do have its entire rolling chassis in questionable condition. Need any specific parts? I'm also the first owner of a 2016 SR now so I have these parts for spares, though I don't know what I'd ever need to replace...

With the Rich Rebuilds video out and so many others doing this now, I feel salvage auction Zeros may be harder to come by, especially for these kind of steals.

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »

I think you're right that Rich is going to drive up the market for these drivetrains. The seller of this bike also purchased at auction.  I think he had  3200 in it, plus he had to pay tax to transfer the title to me.  He took a loss, but I had my price and he didn't have to take if if he didn't want to.

Today's trip was postponed due to heavy rain and storms... Hopefully will be rescheduled soon.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:24:12 AM by pyromancy5 »

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 12:32:21 AM »

> I think you're right that Rich is going to drive up the market for these drivetrains.

haha, yes.

but only temporarily maybe.

i bet people will follow along, have trouble, and then want to resell.

so many people starting projects, so few finishing.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »

Rain check for the title inspection is on the 11th, but I've had it out for a few quick "test runs". 

@talon what color is your bike?  I might like a second tail section to play with modifying.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2019, 03:44:04 PM »

I believe every 2016 SR is red. My wrecked and whole 16SR's have red plastics. The wrecked is ever so slightly sun bleached from CA, might have slight scratches (front end collision and tip over after all..)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »

Nice job on the SR Pyromancy5.

Since I don't quite think it needs it's own thread, what do you guys think Rich's rat rod will do?
I've followed the project and even quoted some big Zero guys from FB talking about not laying the battery on it's side because it wasn't designed to be used that way. It could have some bad issues if the balance tabs contact the side wall.
I think the extra weight will put it into thermal cut back very quickly but we'll see soon enough I guess.

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 04:06:34 AM »

I called Zero for the first time today with a couple of questions tying up my 2014 SR rebuild.  I asked about adapting a charge tank for this year.  It's not just a matter of mounting it in the frame, but they said the MBB, BMS, wiring harness and maybe even the battery itself would need replacement to handle that upgrade... So that's NOT happening.  Slow charge for life. I'm curious if a diginow (assuming I could find one second hand) would be compatible.

The second question I asked was about Paint.  When I replaced the front fender and the storage tank, they came in the current color of red.  The tail is both sun faded, and a different color.   I haven't made up my mind on repainting the tail piece, or if I will do a wrap.  I asked for and they provided paint codes! I thought I'd share here  I'll be getting estimates this winter when I won't be riding as much.

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 06:23:50 PM »

A diginow setup or equivalent is definitely compatible with the 2014 SR. I've had a Eltek Flatpack 8.5 kW setup (4*1.8 kW + 1.3 kW onboard) for years on my 2014 SR. All connected to the Aux charging port (Brown anderson). The Aux anderson is fused with a 100 Amp fuse but the 1C value for the 11.4 battery is around 90 amps.

Such a setup is even quicker than a factory charge tank which tops out at 6 (or is it 6.6) kW
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 11:43:44 PM »

Remmie,  Fascinating!  I'm interested in learning more about your set-up.  Do you have a write-up on the forum?  What did you use for charge controller and how did you go about programming it to play nice with the Zero?  I don't know much about these things, but am eager to learn more now that I have my platform to tinker with.
Pages: 1 [2]